Compressor for Hard Rock/ Metal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kyral210, Dec 22, 2014.

1. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Hi

So I am ditching my Line 6 Pod for grown up (i.e. real) effects, and need some advise on compression. I have heard that its great to go:

BASS - Tuner - Compressor - DI Box - Mixing Desk

By the way, by DI Box is an MXR M80. So I have two questions
    1. Should I be using a compressor at all
    2. What compressor pedal would be good/ best?

2. mxr bass compressor is the best.

alexlocurto likes this.
  3. Kevan Campbell

Kevan Campbell Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    I'm a big fan of the Markbass Compressore. The tube does the actual compression and it has easy-to-work controls. I wish it had the metering on it that the Empress Compressor does though.

http://www.ovnilab.com/ has a lot of great reviews on compressors as well as in-depth info on how they work. Lots of info though, so you'd better get started reading.

Need Gigs and ChrisOnjian like this.
  4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    Westchester, NY
    1. Sure. If that's what you want.
    2. What's your budget?

5. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    I'm not sure if that signal chain is what I want, in still learning about compressors

As for budget, I don't think I can justify much over £100...

6. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    Why do you think you need a compressor? I know why I need one but I dont play metal.

7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    i'd recommend a used diamond bass comp.

thebreakman and Somnambulance like this.
  8. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    100 GBP (about 155 USD) doesn't get you into the range of boutique comps, but you can probably find a used MXR M87 for that much, and brand new you can probably get a Boss LMB-3 or Carl Martin Classic Opto (AKA Budda Chakra).

9. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    Trace Elliot smx dual band comp!!!! There was a reason so many metal guys used their amps back in the 80's(which had the same comp built in)!! Or any modern ,high quality dual band equivalent, I have more compression on lows and a tiny bit on high end, it has preset fast attack and slow release which helps you cut through mix ,retain attack, and keep bottom sitting nice and tight!! I got mine for $99 with free shipping and original power supply, so I lucked out, and they do show up now and then used

Meaculpa likes this.
  10. BazzTard

BazzTard Inactive

I love my MXR M87, the TEN LEDs really show you at a glance what is happening. I use it on everything, from Rush,Iron Maiden,Who, Soundgarden,Smashing Pumpkins to James Jamerson and Donald Duck Dunne toons, I particularly love it's tonal transparency.

Bass5150 likes this.
  11. El Spearo

El Spearo

Jun 12, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    Has anyone used the Xotic sp compressor? I like the size. I'm trying to decide between that one and the Pigtronix one. Sorry for the hijack

12. AciDBatH666

AciDBatH666

Feb 13, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I've got the MXR compressor and I dig it.
    Also, I have the MXR M80, and the M81. The M80 clean boost will scoop your mids. I took it out of my chain because of this. I play metal so my mids are needed to be heard in the mix.

voronfly likes this.
  13. Probably the most important thing is if you wish adding some color to your sound or not.

With this budget there´s some great compressors out there, so it´s a matter of taste. One of them that people likes a lot is the EBS Multicomp, very plug-and-play and really easy to use.

Don´t forget taking a look to ovnilab´s reviews.

14. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Well the EBS pedal sells for around £150 in the UK, so it's more than a little outside of my budget im afraid:(

15. In Spain it cost new roughly the same price but in euros.

Maybe you can get it used in second hand market but this price, but I´m not sure yet if it possible finding one in this range of prices after you said it how it cost new.

16. VigierUSA

VigierUSA

Jan 7, 2013
    Kingston, NY
    General Manager USA, Vigier Guitars
    I can't say enough good things about my Pitronix Philosopher Bass. Evens out response across the board, adds gobs of sustain without really coloring your tone, killing your low end or squishing everything.

17. that really transparent one from BOSS might be a good choice. Not too expensive either.

18. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Hmm, the Pitronix Philosopher Bass is another expensive pedal at £135... I am starting to feel like a cheap compressor isn't worth it as it could wreck my tone, yet for such a subtle effect is it worth the high price tag? Do I even need one?

hintz likes this.
  19. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/necessary.shtml
    Take a look at the ones I mentioned in my previous post, they'll get you a respectable effect for not a lot of money.

20. +1 on the Markbass Compressor pedal. It's a real tube compressor.. and the best one I've tried out. I felt the tube really added something nice to the sound of my rig (which already had a tube preamp). It isn't exceptionally expensive either all things considered ($200).