Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Constantly Recycled Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I was browsing bassgear.com today, and I saw that this silver Elrick was up for sale again:
    [​IMG]

Before the current owner, it was owned by funkycarnivore, and before him, I must have seen it go through several other owners online. It made me wonder-how many basses can you recall seeing up for sale from different owners so often that you you recognize the bass just from seeing pics of it so often?

I can think of a couple that might be familiar. There's the infamous buckeye burl DP Custom originally ordered by Jeff Rader. After Jeff sold it, I can recall at least two other TBers owning it, followed by its appearance at a GC and being sold again. Then there's my Elrick singlecut fretless, who before me was owned by TB members Thumper, gruuv, and jacochops, and it hung in a store for a while as well (it may have even had other owners as well-who knows?)

Can you guys recall any?

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The Talkbass Buy-A-Wish :smug: :D
    That may have had better ways of recycling :smug:

3. I really liked that silver one. I only sold it in order to graduate to a five string version that I bought from Halftooth:
    [​IMG]
    I think the silver finish has a lot to do with it being sold a lot. Definitely distinctive.

4. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Stew Mckinsey's GT-7 is on its 3rd owner (being me the 2nd), and on the oposite side of the atlantic to go along!China next time maybe? :D

5. d'oh! where's she headed now??

from the curious lows,

Stew

6. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I'm thinking about buying that Elrick. What's wrong with it that it's been sold so much?

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

About 10 years ago I sold a Torque T100B combo.
    It was my first real amp.
    You could recognize it because I installed these cool chickenhead knobs on it.
    It went through at least 5 different bassists in town since then and still works fine.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Probably nothing-funkycarnivore and the current owner sold/are selling it for five-string Elricks. I'm not sure about the other sellers.

9. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Anyone who has owned this bass, please raise your hand.

[​IMG]

10. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    "Early" Green Benavente st4 with EMGs anyone?

That's a good bass that's bounced around quite a bit.

Marshall

11. does anyone remember the fretless Conklin 8 string with the lined multiscale fingerboard? I believe Jauqo III-X was the first owner but I've seen it bounced around a bit, too...

:eyebrow:

12. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I remember seeing that one around quite a few times. It looked very much like a Carvin.

13. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

With an Ibanez head stock.

14. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Any body remember this DP Crustom?:

[​IMG]

:bag:

15. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    My old Zon Legacy 5 has been through a few hands on TB & its current location ???

I'm STILL looking to get this Dingwall back:

16. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's the DP Custom I mentioned in the first post of the thread.

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I seem to remember a trans green Stingray 5 having a similar, extravagant pedigree of owners.

18. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Everyone should start signing control cavaties/backs of pickguards on their stuff, just to know where it makes rounds too. And if you ever GAS for it back, you can be like "Anyone with [insert bass] with my initials [insert place], please sell me it". :p

Ray

19. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Not only do I remember it, I was one of the owners. It was a solid bass and sounded great. I think the look had a lot to do with it getting shipped around but the quality was definitely there.

20. I had a Vortex that I sold to a guy in Florida. Then he sold it to someone else....????

Not as spectacular a history as some of the basses here, but just thought I would mention it.