Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cool?-yes; $10K-no

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paintandsk8, Feb 14, 2005.

1. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
  2. Hmm....10 grand for bass, or 10 grand for same bass, different color, and enough left over for a the biggest loudest amp you can imagine. Think I'll take option 2.

Think I'll make it an all Aguilar rig...yummy.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Yes, love how the one pic shows it's "Retail" is only $6100 too.

Ray

4. Yes...welcome to greed-bay...and the seller has 100% positive feedback...

the whole feedback process on e-bay is really a joke.

5. isnt $150 a little steep for shipping too? even if he sent it out well protected, it shouldn't be $150.

6. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    A joke becasue someone wants to sell something for a ton of money? Given it is the only bass in the world with that paint-job, if someone wants it that badly, and they pay it, then that is basic capitalism in action. Got to an art gallery sometime and look at how many paintings adn drawings by modern artists are well over $50,000. Why is a painting worth less money because it is on a bass? Wouldn't that give it more value due to functionality? Greedy? maybe. But the feedback system doesn't measure greed- it measures a seller and buyer's ability to complete a transaction honestly and good time. I have never once had a problem dealing with a 99.5% + feedback seller. $150 for shipping however, is just plain greedy, haha. That would fall under the not so honest category, unless they are shipping next-day air.

As for the bass... That paint job isn't my thing.. not big on Americana stuff. The bass is nice though.

7. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    Equipped with lakeland Bartolini MM/J pickups

har har har

8. phatcactus

phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    $150 shipping?

Seriously?

*chuckle*

9. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    IMO, any nice wood top is better than any painting. If I were going to spend 10 grand, it would be on a Fodera, a SVT4 Pro, and a couple Epifani cabs. Probably would have money left over, too. So throw a Wal sixer in there too.

10. Perhaps...thanks for the diatribe...with that said, this particular auction will likely close without a single bid.

11. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA

And that is the long and short of it folks. Stuff is only worth as much as you can sell it for.

12. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Almost Certainly. It takes a long time to move specialty collectors items at high prices. Items liek this usually get re-posted fo ra couple months and teh price slowly goes down until someone feels it's worth the bones.

13. AQUANOVA

AQUANOVA

Sep 13, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    View seller's other items. :confused:

14. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Thats just a NORMAL lakland... Prolly a 55-02, with spray paint on it... The paint job when looked at closely looks like spray paint....

Why do people hurt basses so?

15. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Probably a 55-94. Ever seen paint come out of the can in that pattern? :p

16. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Yeah, right. I'd be willing to bet it's airbrushed :p

Ray

17. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I dont think thats a 55-94.

18. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    The atricle states it as one, so I'd assume it is ;) (look in the one pic and read)

Ray

19. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not to jump in the mess, but:

1. The picture does clearly state a retail value of $6100. Bass Player also uses list prices in these auctions, so at MOST, it would have a street value of around $4000 new.

2. He can't spell Lakland. Throw that E and there, and it means he doesn't care IMO. He doesn't know this bass, and is looking for quick cash. If that were me, I'd start the bidding at $2000 and walk with whatever I could get.

3. There are no pictures of the actual bass. Who knows if he actually has the thing? They're all scans from book cover (can be gotten from amazon.com) and scans from the magazine, which any Schmoe could get for $4.95 from a street vendor.

Shipping is a bit high, but assuming he gets his $10,000, it's just about right on the money.

I'll spraypaint one myself, thank you.

20. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I understand that, but on that notion, I believe it would be worth more to an art collector than a bassist.