Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cork wedged under tailpiece

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by mellassie, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Has anyone encountered the practice of wedging a cork from a wine bottle between the tailpice and the bass? I have seen a couple of people do this recently......any info?

2. My guess would be that they are trying to stop a rattle or buzz and are too cheap to go to a luthier.

3. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    Ouch. Actually I hadn't had time yet so I put it under there temporarily and got run over and killed by a drummer on his way to a paying gig before I could get it checked out.

4. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    I think they are trying to sort of hack together a tension block. A real luthier can place a block between the bass and the end of the tailpiece and this will reduce the amount of force on the top of the bass. I think it also reduces the overall tension on the strings. If I remember correctly, alot of slap players do this, especially if they use steel strings. Mark Rubin explains this idea on his "The Ungentle Art" video. I think that it kills any arco sound, but it makes slapping easier.

Jason

5. tension block? wouldn't that be the same thing as a raised saddle?