1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cork wedged under tailpiece

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by mellassie, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Has anyone encountered the practice of wedging a cork from a wine bottle between the tailpice and the bass? I have seen a couple of people do this recently......any info?

2. My guess would be that they are trying to stop a rattle or buzz and are too cheap to go to a luthier.

3. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    Ouch. Actually I hadn't had time yet so I put it under there temporarily and got run over and killed by a drummer on his way to a paying gig before I could get it checked out.

4. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    I think they are trying to sort of hack together a tension block. A real luthier can place a block between the bass and the end of the tailpiece and this will reduce the amount of force on the top of the bass. I think it also reduces the overall tension on the strings. If I remember correctly, alot of slap players do this, especially if they use steel strings. Mark Rubin explains this idea on his "The Ungentle Art" video. I think that it kills any arco sound, but it makes slapping easier.

Jason

5. tension block? wouldn't that be the same thing as a raised saddle?