Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cort B2A Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWBass, Jan 25, 2004.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm wondering why my bass uses a battery and an on/off switch normally associated with active preamps. There is no 'pre-amp' (i.e. bass, mid, treble knob) per se. Anyone have any info as to how it's to be utilized? I own the same exact bass as in the picture.Cort B2A

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My hohner B2-ADB has them too, but mine DOES have an active preamp :confused:

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I went to the Hohner website and it says it does have active tone controls but there is only 2 volume and 1 knob. So in what way does the pre-amp work since nothing is really getting boosted except a slight boost in volume! I'm confused as well! :confused:

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    No clue. On the back it just says "adjustable preamp" and has a screw there but ive never really messed with it. Havent really cared. I use the bass passively (i turn the active electronics off).

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Ok, I just 'messed around' with that screw and all it does is allow you to increase or lower the volume when the switch is turned on. No eq is applied.

6. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    In this case I'd guess the preamp is merely serving as a buffer, giving some gain (maybe a couple of dB) and a low impedance output, rather than the high impedance of the pickups when used passively. A "preamp" doesn't need active, ie boost and cut, tone controls to still be functioning as a preamp.