1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crack in wood or paint?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by yrock, Nov 23, 2010.

1. yrock

yrock

Oct 30, 2010
    This is my squier VM P-bass, I noticed this crack in the paint tonight. I have never seen a paint crack, do you think it is in the paint or the wood also? Is it anything to worry about? I bought this about two weeks ago.

Attached Files:

2. yrock

yrock

Oct 30, 2010
    There is one just like it on the other side. I practice with this every night, I am bummed.

3. puddin tame

puddin tame

Aug 14, 2010
    I can't see anything...

4. yrock

yrock

Oct 30, 2010
    Its on the square edge and extends out and down towards the back of the bass, it is about two inches long. Right where the sloppy looking angle where the body meets the neck.

5. These are 99% just the paint. So NO probs at all. Unless you remember dropping the bass so the wood MIGHT've cracked in this particular positiion??????? Then it COULD be the wood.
    But unless this HAS happened, I'd be -as I say 99% sure it's simply the paint.

U COULD take it to a luthier/repairer who'd remove the neck & be able to tell U positively (I think :-/) ..........

I'd probly 'test' it a little, by pushing on the neck a little(CAREFULLY) to see if the crack changes at all.

Chances are it wont.

6. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    I can't see it in detail either, and although many cracks are just in the finish, IME, cracks like this, on either side of the neck pocket, tend to be in the wood. If the bass was bought two weeks ago, was it new? Can you bring it back? Did it fall face down on the floor at any point? Or did it fall face down but the headstock struck something before the body did? It looks like a shear stress fracture caused by the neck being moved forwards with force.

All that said, I hesitate to diagnose without handling it. Any way to get better pics in better light with more angles?

7. I missed the 2 weeks thing :-/ If U don't know it's history, different story- See above-Beej's post.

8. DaLoCo

DaLoCo

Jun 16, 2010
    South Africa
    I had the same....

I pushed and pulled on the neck to see if the crack opened up If it did I would have pumped it full of CA, but in my case it was just the paint that cracked, so I refurbished the bass. It was done three months ago, and the cracks have not re-appeared.

100_1308.

100_1307.

My bass is a Hohner pB bass professional.

9. yrock

yrock

Oct 30, 2010
    Those look just like mine thanks for posting it. If it is in the paint I am not bothered, I will take it to the store I bought it from and show them tomorrow. I bought it new and have never dropped it or abused it in anyway.

10. Yep IF U bought it NEW- return & go from there till U are satisfied

11. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    You. It's a word.

12. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    These are fairly common on bolt-on necks. They usually occur from bumping the neck sideways and the neck moves in the pocket enough to damage the wall of the pocket. Usually it is only paint damage. Easily repairable if it really bothers you. I'm not sure a dealer would replace it, they would probably say the cause was abuse. Where yours is chipped, the paint is usually very thick there and chips easily.
    Rocky

13. Indeed. Only two more letters. Not a lot of effort is required.

14. yrock

yrock

Oct 30, 2010
    I brought it back yesterday they are going to check it out for me. Ill go back next week to pick it up, if it is the paint, Ill keep it, if it is cracked wood, I'll see if they can replace it. It is a very reputable shop, I doubt I will get any grief from them.

15. I was meaning U as in U. uh huh??:D

I've been using what I call 'musicians shorthand' since I had 2 ;) jot down lyrics while the record was spinning, so have gotten SO used ( is that shortened- is it yooosed :bag:) to it that I/we -our band & my mates- use it everywhere.

B4 PRINCE used it on his albums to write/show his lyrics(tho he taught me a few more), B4 texting etc..

So, SORRY if it offends or annoys, but I do it & will continue to do so. 'specially as I'm a slow typer.

16. Good to hear, Hope it all works out well in the end. Let us know how you go. :)