1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cracked Parker Fly 5 headstock. HELP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Randy W Lopez, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Randy W Lopez

Randy W Lopez Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Dearborn Heights, MI
    Endorsing Artist-MESA BOOGIE
    I just bought this Parker Fly, and while in transit the headstock got cracked.
    While I know in most cases a cracked headstock isn't a big issue, but the Parker's are a lot smaller in comparison plus the fact the whole neck back is carbon fiber which is a different beast in itself.
    I trying to find a repair shop that might have experience with these type of neck, suggestions or just plain out any input as to why I should or shouldn't keep this bass.
    I love everything else about the instrument, but need to come up with a logical solution to this that I can be comfortable.
    Thanks for the help all.

2. Can you return it ? I was in the car scene and i know you could repair carbon fiber hoods with fiber glass so i am guessing you can do the same, if you have no exerience working with fiberglass dont learn by working on a bass you love, take it to a shop. You will have to basicallly repaint the whole bass to make it appear right unless you find someone that can blend that paint in well.

Is that really a crack? it looks like a chip to me

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I would send it straight to Parker.

4. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Broken while shipping = seller's responsibility.

5. Randy W Lopez

Oct 19, 2003
    Dearborn Heights, MI
    Parker was sold to US Music a few years back and no longer make the Fly bass.
    From what I see, all of there neck are now some type of all wood configurations.
    I am in contact with the seller and he has agreed to go with whatever final decision I make.
    Like I said, I love the bass, but curious of the overall integrity might be if I decide to go thru with a repair.

6. Or you could email them, i'm sure they have more information about these necks and your problem.

7. Randy W Lopez

Oct 19, 2003
    Dearborn Heights, MI
    The front is a crack. The back side is hard to tell, it's distorted. It may just be to coating just pulled away.
    And no, I'm not even thinking about doing any of the repairs myself. I know my limitations.

8. Randy W Lopez

Oct 19, 2003
    Dearborn Heights, MI
    I have contacted Parker and hopeful they can give me some insight.
    Wanted to put this out to the TB community and see what others thought.

9. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    send it back to Parker..

although, i'm pretty sure the headstock itself is a typical repair, i.e. glue/clamp.. and that the crack in the CF can be repaired by injecting West System resin into the crack.. (if done well, the damage will disappear in the CF)

hopefully, Parker will be able to repair it..

10. The whole neck on these isn't carbon fiber, it's just a carbon skim on a wooden neck. Not sure if it makes much difference but there ya go. Best of luck repairing it:) Oh, check out the parker forums too. Someone there might be able to help.

11. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Nobody's asked this yet (though M0ses opened the can'o'worms). Was it insured for trip from the seller to you? If not, bad on both of you for not covering your asses...er, wallets. Also sounds like the seller didn't take the time to package the bass correctly for shipping.

Cracked HS's are really bad. When the bass is composite construction that's really, really bad and expensive. Assuming you can work something out with the seller, I'd send it right back to Parker for repair...if it's even possible.

Good luck and I hope you don't get screwed for the sale price.

12. Randy W Lopez

Oct 19, 2003
    Dearborn Heights, MI
    It was insured and is to be picked up and inspected by UPS, though packaging wasn't stellar, it should have been enough to sustain a blow.
    Seller is taking responsibility one way or the other, weather a full refund and picking up the tab for repairs, and price adjustment if I decide to go with the repair route.
    Thing is, Parker Fly's 5er's are very hard to come by, and I did get a great price on it too.
    I think the last one on TB was 6 maybe 7 months ago. People that have them are keeping them.
    That’s why I'm on the fence about this one.
    If I can feel confident about a repair, and not have to drag a backup every time, great.
    I've never owned a instrument with a repair for one. And these being pretty unique to the market, I'm sure the average repair shop hasn't dealt with something similar.
    I think most will tell you, yeah, no problem as to not damage their ego's (a lot of repair tech's I've come across seem to have that mentality) and you end up with a unstable repair with a 90 day guarantee, if that.

13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    That's not that big of a deal to repair. Graphite overlays aren't common, but they can be done. It might cost some bucks, but it would be worth it to do it right.

14. Randy W Lopez

Oct 19, 2003
    Dearborn Heights, MI
    Could use some leads if anyone has some

15. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Jerry Dorsch at graphiteguitars@yahoo.com. Spoke to him a few years back; he was quite helpful. Still looking for the website.

Riis

16. Randy W Lopez

Oct 19, 2003
    Dearborn Heights, MI
    Couldn't find much on Graphite Guitars myself. Any other thoughts?

17. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA

Graphite Guitar Systems (Jerry Dorsch)

13043 195th Ave Sw, Oakville, Washington 98568
    360-273-7744

Hope this helps.

Riis

18. Randy W Lopez

Oct 19, 2003
    Dearborn Heights, MI
    Thanks Riis. I'll try that.

19. Actually cracked headstocks, repaired by someone who is qualified/knows what they are doing is a very simple and easy fix. And in almost every case it is left as good as it was before the crack.
    And if done correctly, should something happen again to the headstock, the fixed portion is usually stronger than the surrounding wood.
    So are headstock cracks/breaks bad? Yes, but they are an easy fix.

Now, with a Fly, I dunno, I'm speaking from normal all wood necks.
    Good luck Randy!

Try Tom Pallrito out near Ann Arbor.
    I know that any repairs he does on Sadowsky's will be back up by Roger. He's that good.
    I had an issue with one of my Sadowsky's a long time ago and Roger recommened him.
    I'll try and track down his number.

20. scott petito

scott petito

Jul 4, 2006
    Woodstock NY
    endorsing artist: Dingwall, Elixir , Taylor
    you could try reaching Ken Parker I doubt he would fix it but he is a great guy who could most likely help you find someone who can fix it....

by the way I have 25 basses from 60's fenders to Ritters
    and the my Parker bass is the one I most use for recording... it's one of the best basses ever made in my opinion
    so get it fixed and keep it!

cheers
    Scott