1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crazy bird is driving me nuts!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by line6man, Apr 18, 2010.

1. I just moved a few months ago, and the couple that lived here warned us about this crazy bird that smacks into the window every day...

There is a plastic chair right up against one of the window panels outside by the downstairs kitchen. This bird stands up on the backrest and just flies up and smacks right into the window pane over and over. They told us that he has been doing this every single day for several years.

It mostly happens in the morning time, but it also happens in the afternoon and several times throughout the day.

I've seen this bird stand out on the deck right in front of the sliding doors upstairs and downstairs and try to fly into them, but it's mainly just that one spot on the right side of the downstairs kitchen window that he likes to fly into, and it's always from the same spot on the right side, never on the left or in the middle of the window.

I usually don't mind the noise, but it really bugs me when I'm woken up at 7am on a Sunday morning when I get to sleep in!
    If this bird continues to wake me up on weekends, I might have to hire a hitman to put a stop to this.:hyper:

Any bird psychologists on here want to tell me what the hell this bird is doing?

Here is a crappy video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONziBLtGpF8

2. drteeth

drteeth

Apr 1, 2008
    Leuven, Belgium

3. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    move the chair?

4. If I move that chair, he's still going to smack into the window, he does it with the sliding doors too, the window with the chair just seems to be his favorite spot.

5. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    get a cat ?

6. I had three cats, that I unfortunately had to give up when I moved.:crying:
    It's a shame too, because one of them would have had a lot of fun catching the bird, she loved catching birds.:hyper:

7. Hi.

My bet is that it's territorial.

Last year I had a blue tit (? had to look that one up from a dictionary, who the hell names a bird tit???) who fought with his reflection from about 2am to 10pm. Continuosly for about three months no less.

He was the tiniest bird of his species I ever saw, and I can't imagine how he survived that constant banging, apparently with not much time to eat.

Even my quite skilled cat couldn't catch him, he was smart enough to concentrate on high windows most of the time.

Unless there's competition, or he gets eaten, You have to live with it.

Or, the damn bird is just plain crazy. Mental problems are not exclusive to us humans ;).

Regards
    Sam

8. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Rig up a clear plastic launcher and send him flying backwards.

9. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Or a shotgun.

I'm not a birdologist but, two things come to mind:

1. It sees the reflection and is getting all territorial.

2. It sees the reflection and is looking for a hookup.

Try some window film that will kill the reflectivity of the glass or...start back at the top of the post.

10. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    I dunno, tint or smoke that panel?

I've seen birds fly into glass panels, but i've never seen birds fly into walls. Probably they just can't see that it's glass?

11. I wouldn't doubt it. Try smacking your head into a wall at least 50 times a day for a few years and see how that affects you. :hyper:

12. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    BB Gun.

Be careful not to shoot your eye out (or the neighbor's eye).

13. chondro776

chondro776

Mar 6, 2008
    I am not going into details because I like being semi-anon here, but let's just say I have a bit of credibility w/ this subject. Take that for what it is worth....

I would be 99% sure he is being territorial. It is a very common phenomenon.
    Suggestions:

1) Migratory birds are federally protected, I disagree w/ the BB gun approach.

2) Disrupt the mirror image he is seeing. Stickers, plants, decorations, whatever.

3) Install a predator decoy in the vicinity. Plastic Owl, etc.

Best of luck.

14. funkifiedsoul

funkifiedsoul Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    +1
    There's a red winged black bird that stands on the door mirror of my van, and it'll see itself and flutter about, pecking the mirror. Up and down, up and down. Scratches and **** all over the thing. It's as if it's gaurding some kind of portal where it has to fight off any other birds trying to get through. You'd think it would learn but they don't all think like parrots.

15. Here is a close up picture of the window.
    It's difficult to photograph, but you can see all the scratches caused by the bird flying into it. :eek:
    4531331193_b5b11e7894_b.

16. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    I'd just kill it. try putting some poison in a water dish for it. That damn bird is causing property damage.

17. Very true.

I need to sue this bird for property damage, trespassing on private property, and intentional infliction of emotional distress. (The bird won't let me sleep in on weekends.)

18. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    A dab of glue?

19. kingpin2512

kingpin2512

Aug 9, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Lets give the bird a break hes probally just a drummer.

20. chondro776

chondro776

Mar 6, 2008
    Win.

Seeing that photo...it doesn't look like that much of a reflection. Am I seeing a screen? If that is the case, he/she may be gathering nest material. I had a pair of house wrens steal about 1/3 of a bathroom window screen two years ago. Are there frayed edges?

(I may be seeing the photo wrong...)