1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crazy bird is driving me nuts!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by line6man, Apr 18, 2010.

1. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Try covering the window on the outside for a few days.

Try cardboard, paper or cloth, maybe with a picture of an owl or cat on it.

2. Nope, no screen
    This was a picture looking directly at the window, from an angle, so the camera would pick up the scratches.
    it's kind of tough to make out the window itself, but the tile and the fence/railing is a reflection off of the glass.
    You can see the green plastic chair, and then it's reflection on the glass.

3. crayzee

crayzee

Feb 12, 2009
    Mississauga, ON
    This should be the way to go. Give it a try. You don't need to go and buy a plastic decoy, just cut out a general shape of an owl or hawk. That should be enough.

4. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    My suggestion involves 12 gauges, and may not be so popular amongst some of our more granola enthustiastic, Prius driving friends...

5. Those work great around windows!

FWIW, The woman next door is a major animal lover.
    They made us promise not to harm the raccoons and such.

I had a BB gun around for the sole purpose of shooting at raccoons (I know, it's childish, but dammit if it wasn't fun.:hyper::bag:) but I sold it because I didn't want to cause any trouble with the neighbors.

I'm really not looking to kill the bird or anything, I just want to get it to stop smacking into my windows everyday.

6. chondro776

chondro776

Mar 6, 2008
    Hey buddy, I only eat granola while driving my inefficient 6 cylinder Wrangler and drinking coffee out of a disposable cup.

;)
    (In all seriousness, were you to predate upon the bird I would have no problem with it. The feds would still probably disagree though).

7. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Put food in another area. Like a bird feeder on a tree away from the window.

8. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    Install a guillotine on the window. With correct timing and a camera, you'll have a bird cut in half, a video watched by 12,600,417+ people on YouTube and daily phonecalls by an angry 35 year old female vegan from New York.

9. Hmm some how get sharp objects glued to the glass so he stabs himself by running into it. Or leave the window open he flies into your house and then the hunt begins! hit him with a tennis racket or something once he is inside or get a BB gun, violence its how humans solve problems.

10. TheFantod

TheFantod #5 of the Pentaverate. Took Col. Sanders' spot.

Aug 7, 2009
    Eastern N.C.
    Good lord, there's a lotta bird hatin' goin' on!:smug:

Has this been going on for months, or just recently? Cause if it's just recently, he's probably scoping for a female. What he's doing is seeing his reflection in the window. And he thinks it's another male, so he's trying to fight it. It happens every year around here, (eastern N.C.). Especially with Cardinals. They go nuts against the mirrored windows at work in the Spring.

You can either tape newspaper or something like it against the window on the inside. That may or may not be enough to stop the reflection. Or, you can just wait, and eventually he'll stop and go on his merry way.

2-3 weeks is about par for the course.

Of course, if it's been going on for months, he's just a territorial nutjob. You could buy one of those plastic owls, but they work for about 24 hours. I've actually seen birds build a nest on the top of one of them!

Keep us informed!

11. As I said, apparently this has been going on for several years now.
    I only just moved in back in February though.

12. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Wouldn't this be more than a single bird's life?

I did a quick research. There's a good article here:
    http://birding.about.com/od/birdconservation/a/preventwindowcollisions.htm

And two ways to make the outside non-reflexive, although this won't make the window very pleasing to see. They'll solve the problem, I'm quite sure.

http://www.flap.org/new/film.htm
    http://www.ezsnapdirect.com/prevent-birds-flying-into-windows

13. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    This. :D

14. Well, I taped a piece of paper over that spot on the window.
    I'll see how the bird reacts to it tomorrow morning.

15. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Im guessing one of two things, he can see his reflection, or he hates you..

Suggestions:

Take the pacifist route: Eventually he will scratch the window so much that he can no longer see his reflection.

Alternatively, use your imagination.

16. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    I think you're assuming it's always the same bird.

17. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    What Line6Man isn't telling us is that the wall just behind the window has a big picture of a female bird in a slutty and provocative pose. :)

18. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    What I would do is get one of those theft-prevention cameras they have on the ceiling at big retail stores, the ones that are hidden inside a large half-dome of two-way mirror. Install it right over the impact point on the window; grease up the outside of the domed mirror surface; and post the videos on Youtube.

19. Whenever the bird chooses to smack into that window, it's always in the same spot. Why would a bunch of different birds like that specific spot so much? The left side of the window is no different from the right side, and you can't see very much through the window anyways because of the reflection.

OTOH, maybe the bird(s) sees something in the reflection from that specific angle/point of view?
    I'll have to take a close look at the reflection tomorrow and see what the bird sees.

But OTOH, it's entirely plausible that there could be multiple birds.

20. Rule 34...

Do I dare google such a thing? If I print out the very image you speak of and post it on the neighbor's window, perhaps the birds will leave my house alone?
    :bag: