1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crazy small cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thetaxmiser, Mar 31, 2015.

1. thetaxmiser

thetaxmiser Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Sonoma County, CA, USA
    I am looking for a small cab, one that would be appropriate with a couple of acoustic guitars. I already have a micro head and have other cabinets to use in a louder volume situation. I was looking for something like a shuttle stl-10t, very small, only 16 lbs. Also seem to be scarce. Is there anything else like that? In the 20 lb range, unobtrusive, and enough volume to deal with an acoustic situation.

Long ago I had a Roland cube 60. It was great up to trios with cocktail drums and acoustic piano. I don't even need that much out of this cabinet.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
  3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
  4. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    And your budget is??? The Crazy 8 & Crazy 88 are tiny terrors, but they ain't cheap :laugh: .

Mike A and monsterthompson like this.
  5. thetaxmiser

thetaxmiser Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Sonoma County, CA, USA
    I had forgotten about the Crazy 8. I have heard Ukiah Bass's cabinet and he gets a great tone. I was thinking about an inexpensive, used production cabinet (say in the $200-$300 range) but you may have screwed up that plan.

SandCBass likes this.
  6. There's a GK neo 112 in the classifieds right now. 300 bucks.

MoeTown1986 likes this.
  7. I bought the 8" cabinet when I got my Shuttle 3.0 combo. Its tiny. Its light. Its not loud. Could it keep up with some acoustic guitars? Probably - if you put it on the floor, near a wall. That gave it the most bass response.

While I feel that cab is practically worthless, at the same time I'd never part with it...

I'll have to dig it out and crank the Shuttle up through it and see what she can do when pushed. :)

As for options for you - Epifani made a 110UL (ultra light). Not sure how much it weighs or how it sounds, but its gotta have more output than my Shuttle 8".

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    At 25 lbs, the Aquilar SL 112 might work, small, light, loudish, but not cheap.
    The ideal might be an Epifani UL1 110. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  9. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Hi there Taxmiser, here is what the Crazy8 sounds like with a Rob Allen Deep 4 fretless acoustic bass with black nylon tapewounds. I miked this cab with an AKG Perception 400 large diaphram mic and powered the cab with a Puma 900. You can find these cabs used occasionally, esp. on the double bass side of TB. My wooden Crazy8 weighs 16lbs, incl. kickstand. My other two Crazy8s (used as PA mains in my home studio) weigh a few pounds less. Definitely a quality cab that will please you for your application! Avoid the fiberglass models as their build quality is poor - at least that was my experience as I had to replace all three with wooden cabinets. It was worth it!

(PS, in case you're wondering, for this gig recording I used a Radial JDV active direct box to record the guitar and a Shure Beta92a boundary mic inside the cajon.)

[​IMG]

10. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Replace your stock driver with the driver used in the Crazy8: Faital Pro 8PR200 8. This will transform your cab into a MUCH improved piece of kit! In addition to fabulous tone, your volume potential will dramatically swell due to the huge XMAX of 8.15.

the harp unstrung likes this.
  11. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    And lest you think the Crazy8 is a useless dwarf, here is mine in action in our original surf-rock tune, Deprivation.

Deprivation by The Stormy Weathermen

This "primitive" recording was done by Andrew Robertson, who wrote the song. Andrew played drums and guitar; I played a Fender P-bass with a pick. Andrew recorded the drum track first, then I recorded the bass track, and Andrew finished by recording the guitar track. Each was a single take. Recording was with a USB mic into an iPhone using the MultiTrack DAW app. The "recording environment" was his unfinished basement, with exposed walls and ceiling, and toys strewn all over the place.

To my ears, this sounds pretty dang huge! Tiny speakers are often optimal for mic'd recordings -- especially with a quality full-range cab like the Crazy8. It will sound killer with acoustic guitar.

the harp unstrung likes this.
  12. I won't claim to know much about speaker specs and how they match up to cabinet design, but the GB 8" cab is tiny. Not sure if it has enough internal volume and proper porting for that speaker (and no, I haven't used the cabinet design software). The single GB speaker is rated to handle the amp's 175 watts though! (or so I'd imagine?)

13. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    You'd best be very careful before questioning Dave Green's design! The huge XMAX on this driver accommodates significant power. I use a Puma 900 with this cab. At 8ohm, that's 500 watts. Obviously, you need to be careful putting that much power into the Crazy8. But it performs just fine. I've used this configuration for almost three years with zero issues.

But for the record, the Crazy8 is not meant to be a "power cab" for big volume. It's a full range cab with specific lower-volume applications. Used properly, you can generate volume near a standard 110 cab with the Crazy8.

For more information and discussion on Crazy8, see this thread: Crazy8 and Crazy88 | TalkBass.com

14. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Re-read it, in this case GB=Genz-Benz, not Greenboy. [​IMG]

15. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Ah, my error! But to assuage the commenter, I have read a few posts on the DB side of TB where they did indeed replace their 8" Genz Benz driver with the Fatal Pro and were very pleased with the results. Granted, the Genz Benz design is not optimized for the Fatal driver, but it works as long as you don't try use this in a high-volume application.

Some discussion of swapping the Fatal into the Shuttle 8T is in this thread: Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0 8T | TalkBass.com

FWIW, I used to own a Shuttle 3.0 10T and didn't like the tone. It was too thin for my ears. The Crazy8 generates robust and deep tone by comparison. I have not personally used or heard an 8T.

16. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Check out Revsound. Their 2x12 is only 38 pounds, and I know they make a 2x8.

17. Photobassist

Photobassist

Dec 18, 2010
    Japan
    Check this out: Phil Jones 100w powered cabinet... 13lbs

PJB PB-100

I'd love to get one of these to pair with my PJB CUB.

nshuman likes this.
  18. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    For a reasonable middle ground, I might suggest looking at the little 12" build that I've written up at my non commercial web page. It weighs about 17 pounds.

BassikLee likes this.
  19. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    Fender made a rumble 2x8 that made a great little personal monitor. I have an swr baby blue monitor I use for musicals, it gets the sound across our tiny pit

20. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    Ashdown mi10 is 22 lbs, I'm looking into that one myself. Also joe Vegas on the board recommended a kustom ksc10 or kpc10 pa speaker with a replacement woofer from mcm electronics as a solution that is less than $100 and 18 lbs. I'm looking into that too.

macmanlou likes this.