1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

custom bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mpayne86, Aug 21, 2012.

1. mpayne86

mpayne86

Aug 14, 2012
    Indiana
    How many people have custom bass' and are they worth it? do you have pictures?

2. Nobody can tell you if a custom bass is "worth it". Are custom golf clubs worth it? It depends on the player, what his/her needs are, their budget, etc.

Some players are totally happy with off the shelf bass purchases from big manufacturers. Some players want options and features these big manufacturers don't offer, so they go custom. Others simply want a unique look that they can call their own.

Only you can decide if a custom bass is worth it. But I will say this...you probably shouldn't bother with the wait time and expense if you are not a seasoned player who legitimately needs something only a custom shop can offer. And don't forget: resale value on customs isn't so good.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have a bunch of them. Yes, they are worth it and yes, I have pictures.

4. mpayne86

mpayne86

Aug 14, 2012
    Indiana
    this was pointed at the opinions of the owners, in some cases owners may not like the custom bass they have?

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    First you need to define "custom"...

I have 3 custom OPTIONED standard model basses from 2 different boutique bass builders. If mine fit your question... heck yeah they are worth it (to me) and I do have plenty of pictures (that I have posted far too many times here on TB already ;) )

6. Yes, there are custom basses that people didn't like. Just look in the classifieds. Tastes change and some guys don't really know what they want, so most builders aren't going to guess correctly what a given bassist might want.

7. mpayne86

mpayne86

Aug 14, 2012
    Indiana
    its too bad you went out of business Dan i was actually considering buying a bass if yours :( you look like you do a fantastic job!

8. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast

May 7, 2010
    Philadelphia
    [​IMG]

I've got an Adam Stone bass. Haven't had any GAS since I got it, so it's absolutely worth it. There's something to be said about getting a bass that's exactly what you want instead of settling on something that only has most of the features you want.

9. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Depends on:

-Are your ears and technique developed enough to notice?
    -Do you actually 'need' it?
    -Do you want it?
    -How do you treat your gear?
    -Can you justify the purchase?
    -How much do you play?
    -Will it help you?

10. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I think they are worth it.

11. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    I also think they are worth it as long as you know exactly what you want.

12. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    They are worth it especially if you know exactly what you want.

13. Nidan

Nidan

Oct 31, 2008
    Duluth , Ga
    I have 2 and to me they are worth it .

Attached Files:

14. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Obviously I'm biased in this direction. But, if I were a player only I would still probably have to get a custom bass (unless I were to randomly stumble upon "the one" bass that just happened to be an especially well-made Jazz, Modulus, etc. whose idiosyncrasies fit my preferences perfectly...a very rare event indeed).

I've progressed to the point where I notice many small issues with instruments that I wouldn't have noticed or wouldn't have cared about earlier in my bass playing "career." I really need a bass that enables me to play and sound better and has good intonation all the way down the board, zero dead notes, excellent string-string balance through the pickups, light weight, balance and very low action. If I don't have these things they tend to distract me and damper my ability to play well and sound good.

MostlyBass' post was excellent, definitely ask yourself these questions. Also keep in mind that, unless you are regularly smashing your bass at shows, you should be able to collaborate with most custom builders to get an instrument that can take a serious beating while still playing and sounding great.

...oh, and as long as you'll still be able to afford one square meal a day, I would say you can justify it ;)

Having said that, if you really feel like a certain Fender, Ric, Ibanez, etc. bass fits your style and preferences perfectly, you may not need to go the custom route.

15. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    You also don't need to go the 'full custom' route. I bought Carvin and I got every feature (and wood type) I wanted at a reasonable price. I also looked at Dingwalls.

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Here's a pic of mine. It is worth it because it has exactly what I asked for in a bass.

KohlmanBassworksCustomDWSignatiureNeoJazz5string12.

17. rockosocko

rockosocko Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Nearly all of my basses are custom made, and they are most certainly worth it. Any time you have the opportunity to have something made to your own specifications, the value of said item speaks for itself.

18. Eh, I dunno. The whole "you can get exactly what you want" argument doesn't necessarily hold water IMO. You can spec out everything and sometimes it won't deliver what you expected, at all. Been there done that. I'll take 'off-the-rack' from now on, thanks.

19. Not everything is available off-the-rack.

DSC00727.

20. For me, the extra grand and the eighteen month wait has been worth it. Every time I pick it up and play it, it makes me feel good. The balance is right, the set up is right, it's unique and it's mine, no one else has one just like it.

So what it that feel good worth?