1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom built Explorer Bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by garmenteros, Oct 3, 2010.

1. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    This is a custom built explorer bass my friend built. Hes an up and coming luthier here in the dominican republic and the only guy I know of that does this here. Hes also doing my current builds:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9558848&posted=1#post9558848
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=693863
    I couldn't get pictures of this project halfway through because I didn't have my camera, but here's the finished product... The specs are:
    Body Style: Explorer
    Finish: Polyurethane
    Body Woods: Three piece mahogany
    Neck Wood: Mahogany
    Fretboard: Ebony
    Pickups: Basslines Quarter Pounders
    Controls: (Passive) Tone, Volume, and three way switch (neck, bridge, neck + bridge), On/Off switch for LEDS
    LEDS: Blue
    Hardware: Generic Ebay Black Hardware

Enjoy the pics:
    IMG_1480.jpg
    IMG_1477.jpg
    IMG_1484.jpg
    IMG_1475.jpg
    IMG_1481.jpg
    IMG_1471.jpg
    IMG_1460.jpg

2. I love the Buzzard headstock and mirrored QP pickups. That thing has got to rock. Have any sound clips? What are the woods?

3. garmenteros

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Three piece mahogany for the body, one piece mahogany for the neck and ebony for the fretboard. I'll try and get sound clips later... As far as sound goes its very hot for a passive bass, and the bass has very nice and articulate high mids but isn't too bright however... Has a nice bark to it...

4. And you had that in the first post.. I got distracted by the LEDs and forgot to read. Still, awesome!

5. Wasted Bassist

Wasted Bassist

Nov 11, 2008
    Fargo, ND
    It's like the Buzzard and the Franken Strat made a strange baby. I like it,

6. garmenteros

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Its an interesting bass for sure and its not heavy... you can't sit with this thing though... its strictly for playing standing up...

7. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    Gorgeous.

8. Nice. But I couldn't help but notice the neck/headstock have a finish resembling the 'KLD' finish used on Modulus instruments- it sure looks like a Modulus Graphite neck- what's the deal with that?

9. garmenteros

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Its just about 4 coats of regular polyurethane finish, nothing special... it does look good though...

10. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Very nice! Yeah, there is no sitting down and playing a Explorer style bass.

11. MUSHROOMSeAcOw

MUSHROOMSeAcOw

Aug 1, 2010
    Georgia
    I just posted to say... this is the most beautiful bass I have ever seen. Just beat out BurningSkies' Rastaburst Dingwall. Oh my god.