1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

daion bass??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joshpman85, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Just bought a daion performer bass $120au on ebay.. Does anyone know much about these basses??

2. ProgressiveDoom

ProgressiveDoom Guest

Mar 31, 2017
    IMG_2055.JPG IMG_1798.JPG Daion's are pretty rare, there is almost no info on the web anywhere to be found its like the web info disappeared with the brand. You may have found out by now(or not) that Daion was located in Japan and they were producing premium instruments for about 5-7 years until the neighbouring Yamaha company bought them out and folded the brand. That is what I have read in a few places over time. I bought my 1985 Daion Savage bass in 87 from a pawn shop that didnt know what it was back then and I got it for $200 and change witch was a steal considering the bass sold new for around $500 in 1985. I have been through many genres with my bass starting out with punk in the beginning and I still have it today. It seriously stands up to and goes beyond some of the major brands offerings. The red pic is what it came out of the factory like and the flat black is what I did to it recently. IMG_1798.JPG IMG_1798.JPG

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  3. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Daion was a high-quality project brand developed between MCI in the USA and Yamaki (not Yamaha) in Japan.
    The history is complicated, but for a start you can read Michael Wright's account here:

1982 Daion Savage Power Mark XX Electric Guitar

ED: It seems the OP just slipped between the cracks at the time.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  4. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    Here at TB, all questions answered within 5 years or your money back!

jaketheviking and Pet Sounds like this.
  5. My antennae go up every time I see the word "Daion," as I own a Power Mark XX Bass. It's really a thing of beauty, but, as others have noted, there isn't much information to be found.

6. ProgressiveDoom

ProgressiveDoom Guest

Mar 31, 2017
    Man you guys are fast to chime in! "5 years or your money back" LOL!.

7. ProgressiveDoom

ProgressiveDoom Guest

Mar 31, 2017
    Interesting,Ive never read this article before. Im just lost and confused now.

8. I had a buddy that bought a Daion bass when they first came out. I haven't seen him since the early 80s but when we were in high school (grad 77 and 78)he was probably the best bassist around-killed it on a butter/vintage white Mustang through a Silverface BASSMAN , his brother played drums and both should have gone pro.

9. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    One of our members, "Buster Brown",here on TB actually was sponsored by them (the Waco connection which is MCI) back in the day . Here is what he told me:

"Sure! I'd be glad to help. Here's a quick history lesson about Daion. I was called (I believe in 1979, but it MIGHT have been 1978, those days were a tad wild) but anyway, I digress...

A good friend of mine called me (he owned a music store) and asked me to come down. When I got there, I was introduced to two Doctors ( I apologize, I can only remember Chuck and David) . Both were HUGE jazz fans from Waco Texas and they were building a line of guitars and basses under the name "Daion" and their trademark was a tuning fork.

They asked me to take a couple of their basses (A natural finish Mark-XX and a burgundy Mark-XX) try them out and let them know what I thought of them. Additionally, they had a Fretless version of the Mark-XX, but I never had the pleasure of playing one.

As a result, I gladly played, and endorsed Daion until 1983, when I began playing Fender. Several guys endorsed Daion as well like a couple of guys from Black Oak Arkansas and Steelers Wheel. Both my basses were built in Waco Texas. The company went belly up (I think) in 1984 or thereabouts and was sold to a Japanese company and then, more or less, abandoned around that time, but there was also a period where the name "Daion" was put on some rather funky guitars and basses that were built in Australia, I believe.

Daion built 6 string electric guitars (same line as the Mark-XX) and they built a variety of acoustic guitars as well, although I BELEVE the acoustics were built in Japan by Matsomuko. However, I could be wrong about that. The dreadnought guitars are highly collectible these days.

That's about all the info that I have, other than they were great basses and guitars! Both the guitars and basses show up every now and again on
    EBay and fetch a pretty good price.

Not really sure why your guy would say that they never made guitars...he'll, I saw several of them over the years and, again, there is usually one or two of them (and usually several of the Acoustics) on EBay

Hope this helps you a little!!"

10. Sorry, but this info is NOT correct. Waco NEVER build any Daions. They were build by Yamaki in Japan, and they were made from 77-84 and yes the Yamaki in Japan went under.

However, MCI in Waco continued. It was Bob Murrell who was in charge of that. In 1985 they changed the name to MCI Intertek where they produced the MCI Intertek instruments but also Anea. But that was a short adventure. Exchange rates and new laws in US caused the prices to go way up. So they closed the music line down in 1987.

cdef likes this.