Dallas TX area stores?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ToddZilla, Apr 10, 2005.

1. ToddZilla

ToddZilla Guest

Apr 12, 2004
    Finally home from Iraq :hyper:

....and while being home is probably the best feeling I've ever had, I seem to have developed some GAS :eek: Now I need your help Talkbass. I've looked and looked while gone....Basscentral, BassNW, plus just about every other website you can think off. And now that I'm back, I just want to get out and get my hands on a few. Here's my dilemma, The only stores around here that I know of are GC's :bawl: Please help me find a decent place to shop....please.
  2. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas

Suggest you try Larry Morgan Music in Garland 972-864-8584. Talk to Phil McNesse. He's a nice and knowledgeable guy. While I haven't had a chance to get out there myself, there's a new store called Anderson Guitar Gallery (www.andersonguitargallery.com) in Frisco, TX. There's other places to look but that oughta get you started.
  3. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    I second Larry Morgan Music...and Phil McNeese. LMM always has a good stock of basses/amps/cab's and they will work with you on prices. Phil, is an amazing guy both in terms of playing and just general knowledge. Buddy of mine here on TB (Where are ya Rav) is actually taking lessons from Phil at LMM and he's very happy with LMM as a whole.

Being pretty close to Frisco...I'll have to check out this Anderson Gallery...first I'm hearing of it.

Oh yeah...and Todd?? Welcome back bro! ;)
  4. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Anderson is a dealer for Mike Lull and is going to start stocking Lakland as well. He is also looking into Aguilar and Schroeder. I think he is also dealing with Pete Skjold and he is an Ampeg dealer.
  5. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I go to Larry Morgan Music every year while attending my family reunion in Dallas. Great store with nice selection of bass gear. Low key but knowledgeable sales guys. I've purchased one bass from them and was very pleased with the service. Avoid Guitar Center (I know, I used to be a manager there).
  6. drgregn

drgregn Granddude Supporting Member

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    I actually bought my Skjold 5 from Anderson at the guitar show - gave me a good deal. Smokin' bass - Pete's new preamp and pickups are extremely cool.

PS: Thanks for going to Iraq for the rest of us, Toddzilla... we appreciate you guys!
  7. Rav

Dec 29, 2004
    Aurora, IL
    +1 on LMM for Local Bass store.

If you go in and are serious about a bass there talk to Phil for sure. He is one of the premier bass instructors in the area and a killer player.

If you don't like the price you see on something make them an offer they are known for dealing a little and they do take trade ins.

If your looking for something custom Pete Skjold up in Lewisville makes customs that are about as good as anyone and he's local so you can go in sit down and get exactly what you want.

I haven't heard of the new shop up in Frisco I'll have to go check it out myself.

8. Larry Morgan is the best store in the Dallas area in my opinion.

And I don't say that just because they sell my basses there! :D
  9. ToddZilla

ToddZilla Guest

Apr 12, 2004
    Thanks for the heads up on LMM. I've been down there a few times, actually picked up my envelope filter there, but from Lewisville, Garland tends to be a long drive. On that note, I had no idea there was a custom builder in the area, may just have to go see him sometime :)
    Oh and it's Steven, Todd's the last name, but for the past 9 months I've answered to it so why stop now :D
  10. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Steven, I'm Jack and I'm just a hop, skip and/or jump from you, near Highland Village. I also just retired (well, a year ago) after 20 fabulously weird years in the military.

I just moved up here from San Antonio and so I'm lost, but if there's anything I can do to help you out, email me. I know a few of the local bassist guys here and we occasionally get together to swill vodka and play Bongos and whatnot, and if you'd like to be on the list for the next one, drop me a line.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

LMM is definitely the place to start. And Pete Skjold's shop is supremely GAS inducing. And of course he stocks Schroeder cabs, too.:cool:

Our own Freakbass is getting ready to open a shop, too, and will be carrying Warrior and Lakland, among other brands.

I am moving this to Miscellaneous.
  12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Don't forget Bass Emporium down in Austin. John Files keeps a very well stocked inventory, and he is a pleasure to deal with.

But I'd be hitting Pete Skjold's shop first, if I were you! ;)
  13. Rav

Dec 29, 2004
    Aurora, IL

I had my weekly bass lesson at LMM today. I checked out that 5 string of yours for sale there Serial # 003. Very very nice. Very responsive, good voice, clean tone. What brand of pickups did you use in that? I asked Phil and he said they were some Italian brand but wasn't sure.

I especially like the way you made it look like a 3 bolt neck by hiding some of the bolts under the cover.

At any rate everyone on TB thats in the Dallas area should go check out count_funkula's new product Its top notch.

14. Thanks Rav!

It has JP pickups in it. I believe they are made by Kent Armstrong's son for JP Basses. He is located in France. They're great pickups! I wish I could get some more. :^)
  15. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    I'll definately second that. Jamie's attention to detail is superb. Very soon I'm sure I'll have a pic or two to prove just how good his custom work is. :D
  16. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Buyin' more stuff, again? :D

There's a little store down south, between you and Houston I think. The guy is never there, never has anything in stock, and I heard he actually took a torch to a Spector once :eek: .

Cool guy though... :ninja:
  17. ToddZilla

ToddZilla Guest

Apr 12, 2004
    Well, looks like a trip to LMM, and the Skjold shop is coming as soon as my leave starts. Just gotta hold on for one more week, then it's shopping time :hyper:

Now to keep the wife convinced for that long....

18. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    I'm kinda partial to throwing 110 volts into speakers and thereby bouncing stuff off the walls! :bag:
  19. Rav

Dec 29, 2004
    Aurora, IL
    If you want some "professional" quality photography done of some of your bass's for your promotional materials and web site send me a PM I'ld be happy to do it grattis to help a new bass builder out.

I had to put professional in quotes since I always offer to shoot for free or get talked into it. Sometimes I charge beer and pizza for sitting fees :)

20. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Also Steven, consider ZOO Music for used gear. Selection varies widely but there are good deals to be had.

Of course having said that, I have to put in another gratuitous plug for Larry Morgan. They made me an insane deal on my Redhead.

And where is Freakbass planning to open a store? I would like to see some Laklands closer to Tarrant County. I can't afford them but I'd like to see them.