dam i'm loosing my bass mojo :/

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by robby2k56, Aug 9, 2009.

1. robby2k56

robby2k56

Sep 2, 2008
    woolston
    rob
    any tips of how to get it back?

2. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    What exactly is it you think you are losing?

3. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    Are you referring to your ability to feel engaged by the playing and the music? A lack of inspiration to move beyond your current state, whatever it is, as a player? An existential angst, a 'sameness' to it all that kind of stifles your muse?

If so, I think I know what you are talking about. Experienced it early after a few exciting years at the beginning of my so-called playing career. Started strong, hit a wall (probably of my own making), came back many years later, and cursed every moment I spent away.

My personal epiphany was the realization that in every endeavor, regardless of how low-brow or high-minded, your biggest gains are always as a beginner, because you go from not having any understanding at all to being functional and dynamic.

After that, the desire to keep going, stay engaged, and expand into new levels of comprehension are a matter of personal fortitude. If you don't really wanna, and it's not something you miss when you're away from it, it's only going to reach a particular level and stay there. IMHO, it is more constructive to plod along than it is to resume after completely stopping. You lose all kinds of important intangibles when you lay idle.

As a famous baseball manager once said, it's what you learn after you know it all that matters.

My advice is to tough it out, keep pushing, and reclaim that mojo. Unless of course, it truly doesn't matter to you and you have made the very personal (and sad) decision that this is the end of the line for you.

If this is the case, I have only one more question: What do you have to sell? :D

4. Byzcat

Byzcat

Aug 3, 2009
    Lynn, Mass
    Losing your mojo is something that happens to everyone at some point, in any area of life, not just playing bass.

If you're not gigging regularly, put the thing away for a couple of weeks and find other things to do.

If you are gigging a lot, just do the minimum practice it takes to keep you gig ready, and find other things to do.

Or, you could just try doing weird experimental stuff that is totally other than your main style of playing.

Mojo can't be forced. It can, however, be made jealous.

It'll come back eventually.

In an interview, Ian Hill said after a tour, he puts his bass away for a month, then gets it out and starts experimenting.

5. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Looks like you're losing your spelling mojo too.

6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    :D

7. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Quit thinking while you are playing and be a bit cockier while playing. Do that and you should be in good shape.

8. just get an old 60s p bass! why do you think theyre worth so much . . .(they have mojo in them)

9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    The opposite of what Byzcat said is what works for me. Work 2X as hard. Learn new stuff. Find a new band to play with. Learn some style or songs outside of what you normally play. Work on an aspect of your playing you don't normally, like performance maybe. Puttin the bass down I would think would just perpetuate tand add to he problem.

A new bass always gets my blood going too. Even if it's a cheap one.

10. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    I recommend you begin drinking heavily.

11. TheHegemon

TheHegemon

Feb 20, 2009
    Amarillo, TX
    Trying playing a different genre of music for a bit

12. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    New playing situations are usually good for heightening your groove awareness, especially if the new players are very proficient. Nothing like having to make your bones with some hardasses.

As someone has pointed out, a change in genre (one you have been meaning to try) can't hurt if you're really intent on getting it. (I s'pose it would be helpful to have proximity to such a band. Another thread, entirely.) Have an exit strategy, whatever. Maybe you'll be led back to your current band.

Y'know, I find the toughest aspect of keeping a band fresh is keeping the repertoire moving. It's too easy to settle into a repertoire that doesn't require extensive rehearsal, that everybody knows cold. Picking the new songs can become arduous negotiations because consensus isn't automatic. Don't know if that helps.

Either play or don't play. Waffling and grousing definitely kill the muse.

Just make a decision. See what happens.

13. billhilly66

billhilly66

Aug 25, 2007
    Plano, TX
    It’s a diabolical plot. There’s a bass player who works for the CIA and he developed a machine that siphons off bass mojo.

14. El Bajo

El Bajo

Apr 12, 2006
    UK
    Have a go at another instrument to better your understanding of other areas in the band, it helped me appreciate and think of my lines a bit more carefully. Keyboard would probably be safe to suggest here (guitar and I would probably get barred from the forum)

15. Chicken foot 'round your neck.

16. Byzcat

Byzcat

Aug 3, 2009
    Lynn, Mass

Maybe I'm just thinking that because I'm sidelined with an injured thumb, and I'm getting all these ideas, either spontaneously generated by my brain or from here on TB, on ways to improve my playing.

Plus, I get all of my best ideas about just about every aspect of my life while I'm doing something completely unrelated to that particular aspect.

I think mileage probably varies a lot.

17. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    :confused: That's not good advice for anyone.

Take a break, or try playing a different genre. I find that if I'm bored with my playing, if I just take a few days off from playing I come back to it with more interest.

18. cheamo

cheamo

May 19, 2009
    Saskatoon, SK
    Spend lots of money on high end equipment you don't need; it's the only cure.

19. KPAX

KPAX Inactive

Mar 22, 2005
    Are you asking how to get your mojo working?

20. Stop playing for money for a while and just play for fun. A lot of times, lack of ambition is because you've sucked all the fun out of something you liked to do, due to monetary reasons. Hook up with a ska band, they're normally fun people to hang out with. If you're having fun doing what you're doing, your mojo will come back.

Or, spend a lot of time going to local gigs and concerts for other groups, and see if there's a sound you like. Nothing brings mojo back like true inspiration, and a good way to get that is exposure to new things.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021