1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Damnation Audio Fan/Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gregmon79, Jan 31, 2018.

1. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly

Feb 12, 2004
    The MBD1 uses a mechanical 3PDT switch so it stays however you left it. The MBD2 and Curmudgeon use a relay controlled by a microcontroller and the program has a default state which is 'on' at power-up.

kranahan and deff like this.
  2. Ah, thank you.

3. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    D2 report. Sounds great at home at low volumes. There is something of a volume drop even with the volume cranked if you are running the gain up at halfway or more. The real test is tonight in a practice setting. I do really love how organic the distortion feels and how reactive it is depending on how you hit the string or where you are playing on the bass. You can coax different sounds out it. Hopefully it works well with the volume way up. The depth switch seems like it might be a little much for my setup. It feels like it adds a bunch of subs and changes the break up, but even at low volumes I was defaulting back to the brighter setting. Frankly I kind of expected this, I don't play in a doom band or anything, but if people are going to run in this mode, I hope they have speakers that can handle the bottom end.

4. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I also noticed that about the output. I usually have to bump my output up to liken 1 or 2 o’clock to get it to gig levels. Maybe even higher. Thought that was a tad odd. Not even an issue really. Just an observation. But yeah, a lot of sounds in it if you twiddle a lot.

deff likes this.
  5. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    Perhaps the max output volume is set too low. Thanks for the observation.

gregmon79 and deff like this.
  6. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    We'll see if it is the same tonight. Gain structures between pedals and amps, versus audio interfaces are sometimes well different. If I can get to a somewhat unified volume between clean and on then awesome. It's virtually impossible to tell at low volumes. I probably should have waited on saying anything until I had a chance to do that.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 1:16 PM
  7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I noticed the same thing this past weekend, using it live. I just turned it up a bit and it worked fine.

gregmon79 likes this.
  8. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    def seems like a hefty jump from like between 11 and 1. It’s not like it’s an issue really.

9. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    I notice that if you don’t have the output up it feels more like a low end loss. I run mine about 1 or 2 o’clock to get the heft back and have it just as loud as the MBD which volume is set more in the 10-11 o’clock range. This is of course with the depth switch down. I also prefer it this way, my low end is pretty massive without it already. I am really liking this pedal and getting some similar tones to my Bottle Rocket which is nice. It definitely plows through a mix with no problems whatsoever. I also run the gain about 2 o’clock. It sound killer maxed out too. It gets a little untamed which isn’t necessarily a bad thing depending on how much feedback you want to play around with.

gregmon79 and deff like this.
  10. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    Yeah it's plenty loud

11. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    Ok so here it is. I went from a PT Pro 32x16 to a Warwick Rockboard 4.1. 18x13. I cannot believe how much I was able to fit on this little guy but I’m stoked about it.
    196DECAB-1510-48D3-8300-E24F5FB35909.jpeg BECD20E7-7286-4E9A-83D7-18052DDE7E18.jpeg 4BAB4F7D-5105-41A5-9BE9-586FB2E0F879.jpeg

12. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Hey crew. Need some help. I recently acquired a MBD-1 and a Bloop in separate transactions from the same TBer. I’ve had both before, and departed with them for different reasons. For the MBD-1, I am going to try some low OD settings, but for the Bloop, I need help. It’s a simple pedal and yet I seem to have no idea what I’m doing with it.

For my board, I go Korg Pitchblack -> Bloop (Wren and Cuff TFR - Fuzzrocious Cat Tail in the loop). -> MBD-1 -> CAL Grizzly.

I cannot seem to get a decent sound when I’m using the bloop. So by questions are, what EXACTLY do the controls do. And 2, are either the TFR Fuzz or the Cat Tail(Rat) pedals that don’t play well with buffers)

13. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    It should all be working just fine. Maybe try throwing the MBD in the bloop too and just use the clean blend on the loop like you would on the MBD. Also I notice that everything sounds better when I run my MBD before the rest of my dirt. See if that helps. If you are getting phasing issues flip the switch to see what sounds better to you. Having a wren and cuff box of war and a cat tail in my bloop you shouldn’t be having any issues other than awesome tones.

gregmon79 likes this.
  14. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly

Feb 12, 2004
    Bloop has one knob and one switch. The knob sets the level of the parallel clean blend signal. It does nothing to the sound or volume of the pedal in the loop. The switch flips the signal phase so the parallel blend and whatever you have in the loop are in phase which can have a dramatic effect on your low end. If things sound thin, you may have a phase cancellation issue. Flip the switch and see if that helps.

Muffs and rats are ideal candidates for Bloop so both should get along well. Its possible you don't like clean blend though. Do you use it on your MBD? Its essentially the same blend circuit there.

TodaysTomSawyer and kranahan like this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021