1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dano Shorthorn reissue question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowplaces, Sep 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. lowplaces

lowplaces Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Someone asked on another forum

" in the two eras of Dano Reissues, have they ever made a short horn/short scale bass a la Joey Spampinato's "

I thought I would ask here to help him out. I couldn't find anything via Google.

2. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    Try this question in the Danelectros Owners Club . They are a knowledgable and helpful bunch .

Ductapeman and lowplaces like this.
  3. The quick answer is yes! Danelectro currently have a short-horn bass in production, either in copper burst or in black.

59DC-LS-Bass-CB_Front_HiRES.

My inner Beefheart fan wants one of these.

Ductapeman and lowplaces like this.
  4. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    Earlier pictures of him often have a black U1 dolphin nose , dano did re-issue a two pickup version . Then there's a bunch of pictures of him with a Longhorn and then later pictures of him with a DC shorthorn Jerry Jones bass . Dano re-issued a long scale version , but I don't think I've seen a shortscale version other than those Jerry Jones made . Edit ... but the post above me corrects that .

lowplaces likes this.
  5. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    Seems the Shorthorn DC2 is a long scale .

lowplaces likes this.
  6. lowplaces

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Yea, the guy I'm trying to help out looking for a short scale.

Looks cool though.

7. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    I'm pretty sure they have never made such a reissue (short scale shorthorn).

You could probably cooper one up with parts. I think you can put a shortscale bass neck on a 59 guitar body... obviously you'd have to mount the bass bridge in the right place & put up with some extra holes, etc., but what the hell it's a Dano.

lowplaces likes this.
  8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've cobbled together several shortscale "Dano basses that Dano never made" using RI Dano U2, U3 and Convertible guitar bodies.

I don't recall ever seeing a reissue shorthorn with a shortscale. For recent shortscales they have the Longhorn RI and '56 Single-Cutaway (I think the '56 is discontinued).

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    lowplaces likes this.
  9. lowplaces

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    That's why I could not find one on Google.

10. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    I had to do a little research (okay, I googled it...) but it looks like Jerry Jones was the only one to produce a twenty four fret 30" scale shorthorn bass like the one Joey plays. Here's a (sold) listing for one on Reverb (not a bad price either).

Jerry Jones Shorthorn Bass 4 String Orange

The original Danelectro Shorthorn Bass was short scale (29 7/8") but it only had fifteen frets. Here is my vintage Shorthorn; modified with a Dan Armstrong pickup (possibly either an early Dan Armstrong Modified Danelectro or a Fat Dawg Creation):
    20161209_115846-1_resized_zps8ao05hgr.

Like @mongo2 I have built a couple of Shorthorn Dano basses using Shorthorn guitar bodies and Longhorn bass necks.
    IMAG0592.

Moonshine :bassist:

HaphAsSard, Ductapeman and lowplaces like this.
  11. lowplaces

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Thanks,
    He's got a link to the thread.

moonshinegtrs likes this.