1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DARN YOU FLOBOTS!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by santucci218, Jul 16, 2008.

1. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    So stuck in my head! Anyone else?

2. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Actually, yes. And not just Handlebars, too. I need to go pick up their album.

3. 69nites

69nites

Jul 11, 2006
    Chicago
    at first I thought it was a joke on Q101 but then it grew on me and now I find myself singing along...

4. Slapp Addict

Slapp Addict

May 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Ugh... that song Handlebars is garbage. I have no idea why they play it on the rock stations. I turn that crap everytime it comes on.

5. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Because people like it.

6. Slapp Addict

Slapp Addict

May 5, 2008
    Michigan
    People like polka music too, but I don't see them playing that.

Or maybe some stations do, I don't know lol.

7. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Enough people like it that it's profitable. Big difference between that and polka. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that millions of others don't. It's the radio for crying out loud... they don't play anything unless it's gonna make them money.

I heard the little spots on TV and brushed it off but then I listened to the whole thing on sirius the other day and it actually has quite the deeper meaning, ha.

8. 69nites

69nites

Jul 11, 2006
    Chicago
    it is one of the most requested songs on my local rock station Q101.1 chicago.

9. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    thank you. if you havent checked out the video, do it.

10. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    It's odd. I'd never even heard them until last night while searching music on Myspace. I get on my computer, go to their page and start playing handlebars, get on here and there's a post about them. I wasn't even aware that they were well known.

Guess somebody needs to listen to the radio more.

11. Slapp Addict

Slapp Addict

May 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Yeah its one of the most requested songs on my rock radio station too. But that's the thing... it's not ROCK, so why is it played on a rock station?

I have no problem with people liking the darn song, I just don't see why its on a radio station for rock music is all.

12. 69nites

69nites

Jul 11, 2006
    Chicago
    because the only other options for it to be played are top 40 stations and it's not a top 40 song yet....

13. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Southern California
    Is this just getting around? I heard of the group awhile back (several months ago) and had students in my class telling me about the album so I went and got it. It's definitely very catchy at times.

14. thesteve

thesteve

May 28, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    The thing with "Handlebars" (I can't speak for other Flobots songs) is that it doesn't fit nicely into a little package of "rock" or "hip hop" or "pop". The reason the rock station plays it is because there's some definitely rock elements in there and it's still semi-underground.

Considering that a lot of rock stations play the Beastie Boys, it makes sense to me that they also play the Flobots...it's certainly better than the Korn/Limp Bizkit/POD/Linkin Park, etc. rap/rock stuff that is on your typical rock station

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, I was surprised to hear in this thread that it's getting heavy radio play since it is available for download on emusic.com (which only carries Indy bands). I haven't downloaded it but I considered it at one time.

bc

16. Slapp Addict

Slapp Addict

May 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Yeah I guess you got a point there. I forgot about the Beastie Boys, Limp Bizket, POD, stuff like that.

17. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    That is the weakest song on the album FWIW.........

18. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    It's called cross over music. If you can appeal to more than one genre you can sell a lot more records. And what makes the song not rock? It certainly isn't hip hop in the traditional sense. I mean I prefer listening to traditional hip hop, but this song isn't bad...

19. steve21

steve21 Inactive

Is it just me, or is it always better when rap approaches rock (i.e. Flobots, Beastie Boys) than when rock approaches rap (Linkin Park, Korn, Limp Bizkit)

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021