1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DBX 160A or pedal compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Aragrim, Jan 22, 2021.

1. DBX 160A

24 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Pedal Compressor

32 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. Aragrim

Aragrim

Dec 3, 2019
    Belgium
    I sold my whole bass rig because I was playing guitar in a band for a while(I am mainly guitarist for 16 years now).

I only got my lovely warwick thumb NT4 left but I want to buy a bass rig again and I know I'm gonna buy a ampeg svt 3 pro rig but I don't know what compressor...

I wanna go simple and was thinking about going for just everything in a rack and buy the DBX 160A so it also can go in the rack with the amp and the rack tuner or is it simply to old and should I buy a pedal?

Thanks

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    It was a hard call but I went with "pedal". They're easier to roll as your tastes change and portability may become an issue. Nothing wrong with the dbx but you can get an inexpensive dedicated pedal or multi FX that will get you 98% there (think Zoom MS60B). For that fact, you'll have access to several comp emulators and...hey!...they come equipped with a tuner!

Riis

3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
  4. Aragrim

Aragrim

Dec 3, 2019
    Belgium
    oh I should have said: It will probably never leave my music room. so portabillity isn't important. I just don't really wanna build a pedalboard again... I already have a big one for guitar here.

If I take a pedalcompressor again it's the Cali76. God what a beast! Love that thing but I'm just sick of having pedals over and over again. I had like 60 pedals so I'm done :p

31HZ and Zooberwerx like this.
  5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Nothing wrong with a rackmount comp. If you're feeling particularly adventurous, skip the dbx and find a used Rane DC24...it has a crossover and can do the dual channel thingy....hours of entertainment value!

Riis

6. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    If you don't need to move it and a rack is convenient, I'd get the 160.
    They were used on a zillion hit records (meaning they sound great) and are inexpensive on the used market.

7. roborend

roborend Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2012
    Rock Island Illinois
    I got a dbx160a after debating and I'm very pleased that I did. I was never totally happy with the pedals I tried, the dbx really does it well and I love the lights on the front

BrentSimons likes this.
  8. roborend

roborend Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2012
    Rock Island Illinois
    You can pick em up used in great condition for about $250 on ebay

BrentSimons and DJ Bebop like this.
  9. GrahamNN3

GrahamNN3

Apr 11, 2018
    I have a DBX 160A - it’s very easy to use and it sounds good, but their is a little colouration.

Often I think I should get a pedal - probably a Cali76 - but with COVID I’m not playing anywhere outside my home anytime soon, so I’m not buying anything yet.

The La1a is supposed to be very good.
    Leveling Amplifier Studio Grade Compressor - Effectrode

halech54 and DJ Bebop like this.
  10. Plain Old Barry

Plain Old Barry Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Connecticut
    Try the MXR pedal... I've owned a bunch of 160 variants as a player and sound guy, and I really like the MXR M87 pedal for bass.

If you just want colorless leveling, the Really Nice Compressor is nice at a nice price... FMR Audio - RNC

11. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    The Cali76 is an attempt at doing the 1176 thing, which is a very different sound to the 160A. Are you sure you know what type of compression you want, regardless of the format it comes in?

12. Plain Old Barry

Mar 1, 2018
    Connecticut

The M87 is also an attempt at the 1176.

The reason I like the M87 for bass, is that it's NOT transparent, but the coloration enhances many bass sounds. I haven't heard the Cali, but I'm sure it's popular for similar reasons. I love they way the M87 "blooms" with a fat sound.

13. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Having owned an M87 and an 1176 I’ll just say that to my ears an M87 sounds nothing like an 1176. The M87 is a fine compressor in its own right regardless of trying to cop the vibe of any other compressor, and I really enjoyed it as an end if chain limiter.

Medicine Man and Plain Old Barry like this.
  14. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    I use the zoom pedals 160a sim as an always on. It works for me.

BrentSimons and Giraffe like this.
  15. Plain Old Barry

Mar 1, 2018
    Connecticut
    Same here with ownership, but I wouldn't say nothing like, I'd say "kinda', but not the same", but different than a 160x.

Either way, definitely different than any of the 16(x) variants I've had (160a, 160x, 162, 165a, 166) . I think the Really Nice Compressor is a lot closer to Over Easy settings than any pedals I've seen.

16. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    The DBX 160A is a great unit but it will suck your treble when used heavily.

17. Plain Old Barry

Mar 1, 2018
    Connecticut
    Unless that's what the player wants, and some do...

That's the crazy part about signal processing. There's really no wrong answer, kind of like strings and pickups.

bbh, Clark W and GrahamNN3 like this.
  18. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Agreed

19. I love my Maxon CP9 Pro+, which is supposed to be like a DBX160 in a pedal. It's a VCA compressor, and I love that I can sharpen my attack while balancing out the notes with mild compression.

20. marionobilio

marionobilio

Jan 23, 2011
    The dbx model in the Zoom is what I used for 95% of my compressor needs in that pedal

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021