Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DC/VA/MD Get Together?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jive1, Jun 18, 2004.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Anyone else think it would be cool to have a get together for the TBers in Washington DC, Virginia, and Maryland? Maybe for a jam, a party or a simple meeting over some drinks.

I'm thinking maybe in late July or August, possibly as late as September.

I have a couple of venues in mind that we could use to hold a jam, but it would require the GTG to be on a weekday. The choice of venue would be affected if there is a considerable number of TBers interested that are under 21. Procuring equipment like drums, PA, etc. shouldn't a problem.

If other have suggestions for a place, a time, and activities, I'm open.

Please respond to this thread if you'd be interested, along with any ideas/suggestions.

2. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Count me in,give me details. -Luke

3. feel free to come see me play at the black cat on july 6th.

edit: to clarify, yes i'd be up for a regular get-together too. guys, we NEED to get brad johnson in on this; he's got more basses than god.

4. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I'd be interested.

5. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I'd love to, if minors are allowed that is, and it fits into my schedual. What do you have in mind for a venue?

I'm going to be at the Marcus Miller gig Sunday night if anyone else is going to be there (-:!

6. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    The venues I have in mind are Fast Eddie's in Fairfax. They let our band practice there on some Wednesday nights, so I think I might be able to talk the manager into letting us have a get together there. If not there, there's a couple of places in Fairfax that might accomodate us. If there are significant minors interested, a restaurant/bar would be a better place. Brady's in Manassas is possibility, but since they have new ownership, I don't know how willing they'd be. If you guys have any other ideas, please respond.

MODS: Can you please sticky this post?

7. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Yes, mods please sticky.

Also, I just came back from Marcus Miller. You guys should of came. I can't believe what I saw.

8. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I'd love to.

**Raises hand for the under 21 vote!**

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am moving to Maryland about 15 min from DC in sept so i will try to make it if you have it in sept.

10. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I'll come.

11. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Raises Hand....but gosh, I'm more than 21..... :)

12. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I'm almost double 21 :)

13. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    This September I'll be double 21 +1

14. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i am in. over 21 here.

15. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Hmmmm, haven't heard from Fuzzbass or Brad Johnson.

On the other hand Brad would have to make two trips to bring all of his basses

16. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I'd be up for it. The Atlanta GTGs were always a blast.

17. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I'm interested.

18. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I'm turning 24 Friday and live just south of Richmond, VA. If my schedule fits, I'll check it out. :bassist:

19. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I would love to attend if I can. I hosted an area get-together at my house many years ago for the "Bottom Line" mailing list group, it was a big hit.

It'll be loud.

I'll bring a few basses including my Tacoma CB10E4, Fender Jazz V, and Brice V2 fretless 6 which may surprise some of you. Maybe someone will fall in love with my green Jazz. :) :bassist:

20. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Looks like we have around 10 so far after 5 days. Looks pretty good. I'm hoping that minors won't be a big deal if they aren't drinking and is accompanied by an adult.

I'm going to talk to a couple of places over the next couple of weeks and see what I can dig up. If anyone else has any ideas, that would be cool too.

Here's some preference questions:
    Do you guys really want to jam, or just hang out? I vote for jamming, but it would make it a little more challenging to find a place. If many people feel it's optional it will be easier to find a meeting place.

So we get a place to jam. Does anyone play instruments other than bass, or is it gonna be a big bass fest. I prefer other instrumentalists to spice things up.

How about a time? If we get a place it will more than likely be a weekday. Since they'll want something out of the deal, a decent turnout will help our cause. Weekdays work well since it's the summer and it's less likely to conflict with gig schedules. But, I'm not counting out weekends.

As always, all ideas are welcome.