1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dean Club!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tom once dead, Apr 11, 2008.

Tags:
  1. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Did you get a case that works?

2. Jimbowhit7

Jimbowhit7

Mar 5, 2018
    So sorry for just now responding to this, I've been busy this week - I graduated from college this weekend. :D

I never did order a case, I managed to get my current beat-up case to work by making a small divot in the top, and now the headstock fits. I'll definitely order a better case soon, though.

B-Mac likes this.
  3. B-Mac

Congratulations on your graduation!!!!

4. Jimbowhit7

Jimbowhit7

Mar 5, 2018
    Thanks! Only big thing left is to get married in less than four weeks. :roflmao:

B-Mac likes this.
  5. B-Mac

Holy Crap you're doing the full monty!

Best of luck to you!

(By the way, thanks to your influence (jokingly) I received my brand new Paramount from Musician's Friend yesterday and she's a beauty!

Gonna get a tort pick guard for it to match my Juggernaut!

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Mark Yurick likes this.
  6. B-Mac

Got my new Paramount yesterday from Musician's Friend and didn't notice any problems with the pickups.
    Of course I am not playing on a loud stage. Just playing at home through my Fender Rumble 100 at 'normal' volume.
    What should I specifically be listening for? They're dead quiet and when I tap on the pickup cover I don't hear anything coming through the amp like a pup that has gone microphonic.

Fit and finish is really good and not a sharp fret end. Action appears to have been set by Musician's Friend because it is low and no buzzing, just the slightest neck relief.

I've purchased things through MF before but never a bass....just pedals for my guitar playing oldest nephew.
    $259 free shipping and no tax!

2016 serial number so I am guessing they are unloading existing NOS inventory. Came with usual Dean sticker and warranty card.

7. Jimbowhit7

Jimbowhit7

Mar 5, 2018
    Thank you! Hope you like your Paramount as much as I like mine!

Mark Yurick and B-Mac like this.
  8. B-Mac

Oh I was wood shedding on it last night for at least 2 hours without realizing it!

Mark Yurick likes this.
  9. fauxtoe

fauxtoe Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Murrieta, California
    Hello everyone! While I do own a Dean bass in my collection, I'm not currently part of the club. Before I go a do a full on ad on here to sell it, is there anyone interested in a 6 string Edge unlined fretless? It has passive electronics and the EMG-HZ pickups.

10. B-Mac

pics and include back of headstock please:)

11. bonin in the boneyard

bonin in the boneyard Supporting Member

This is Lisa, my DEAN EABC, gifted to me by my dad for my birthday after a painful job transition about five years ago. Before that I hadn't played with any regularity since the '90s. Music has been my self-therapy since. It now lives under my desk in my office for when I have one of "those" days. Personalized for me by my daughter:

2014-12-21 14.24.41-1.

I tried a few different kinds of strings, but settled on Chromes. It had some gunk under the saddle that messed with the piezo pickup, but once my luthier cleaned that out (a task of all of 90 seconds while I watched) it sounds fine plugged in. Otherwise it was a totally workable instrument right out of the box. Thanks to the jumbo body, it has a full, deep tone that can go head to head with my Boulder Creek that costs 4x as much new.

McDean and B-Mac like this.
  12. B-Mac

'Lisa' is a nice name for your EABC! You'll always be able to pick it out and never get it confused with anybody else's EABC thanks to your daughter. That is sweet!

You're in good company here! The following either own or used to own the Dean EAB in a few different versions or the same as yours including the 'Playmate' version.

EAB
    @BishopHastur
    @McDean
    @DA_ZAR
    @Amara
    @zuokinis
    @BassShifter21
    @GretschWretch

EAB Fretless
    @lowendfriend

EABC
    @Leftka
    @McG
    @B-Mac
    @Jason Garrett
    @ProgRocker
    @jd56hawk
    @Spector_Ray

EABC5
    @noodler

Here's a vid posted previously of the EAB
    Dean EAB Vid page 61

Page from 2008 catalog

DeanGuitars2008 37.

Here are catalog pages from 2012 and 2014 indicating the EABC available in left hand version

DeanGuitars2012p 73. dean_2014_catalog_web 52.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    McG and bonin in the boneyard like this.
  13. B-Mac

Welcome!

bonin in the boneyard,

Welcome to Dean Club!!!

You have been officially issued Member Number 195

bonin in the boneyard likes this.
  14. fauxtoe

Apr 20, 2018
    Murrieta, California
    Sorry for the wait! The last time I played it regularly I managed to break the B string, so it is currently missing it.

IMG_4542.

IMG_4544.

15. B-Mac

Wow, looks in good shape for a 1999 model Edge! Nice!

Not an Edge Q6 fretless, but still an Edge 6 fretless

Are you the original owner?

1999 new products.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  16. fauxtoe

Apr 20, 2018
    Murrieta, California
    I'm not the original owner, but my best guess is that I'm the second. I bought it I think around 2004.

And ahh yes, the Q I'm assuming would signify that it would have a quilted top. Should have known that! Yes, just a standard, unlined Edge 6 fretless with passive electronics.

As far as condition, I'd say it's pretty darn good. Any marks would have come from the original owner as I was always nice to it. The bridge, however, suffers from a minor amount of tail lift and a replacement I believe is about $30-40 from when I last checked. Beyond that, it could use a nice setup, cleaning, and some new strings.

B-Mac likes this.
  17. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    this just popped up for a nice price, any negatives to contribute so I don't feel bad being broke? lol
    upload_2019-5-29_12-16-16.

B-Mac likes this.
  18. B-Mac

For $100 they’re a fun bass.
    @TheBassmaster27 has one and plays in a band with it.

Very basic bass but very playable. Thin narrow fast neck especially if the back of the neck is satin. If you don’t like a thin narrow neck then it isn’t for you.
    1.5” at nut and 3/4” thick at first fret.

Because @TheBassmaster27 wanted to do some pickup mods I ended up buying 3 of them all in Mahogany known as the Edge 09M
    One MIC
    One MIK
    One MIINDO
    Just for experimenting and to help him out...kinda dropped the ball but Im determined to make the intended mods.

One with black hardware and two with chrome

I bought an EMG HZ 40 pup and an Ortega bass bridge in the BadassII style

I have yet to install these items.

For $100 you could do worse. And I really like the Mahogany ones I have although one is a Mahogany top, one a Mahogany veneer, and one a Mohagany stain all with basswood bodies, maple neck and rosewood finger board.

Bass V likes this.
  19. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    pretty fine rundown @B-Mac. a hundred dollar bass doesn't sit long, I hope it goes to a good home.

B-Mac likes this.
  20. They are nice basses. I am still intending to replace the bridge and most likely the pickup on mine. The feel is great for the $179 I payed for mine.

B-Mac and Bass V like this.