1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dean Jeff Berlin Player Bass $156.66, 77% Off

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by Bongolation, May 22, 2011.

1. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    You might want to track price on these. Amazon.

312TUrZaDyL.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is tempting. The one I played had a to die for action.:bassist:

3. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    u like?

4. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Id buy it just for the price, but already trying to decide between my ray and P...a 5 is next!

5. BKBassDude

BKBassDude

Jun 17, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    This would make a SWEET piccolo...... ::pUT AWAY THE CREDIT CARD!!!!!:::

6. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    I bought one of the Dean Bartolini`s last winter. And I was pleasantly surprised with it; it was a steal :) Def. worth more than the price and an easy flip. Sooo...one of these on the way ! Thanks for the tip !

7. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I love the "soup bar" pickups!

8. samc2527

samc2527

Nov 21, 2010
    Austin, TX
    +1

9. Yeah... there are a couple of type o's in the description, I dunno, it's tempting but I don't know if I want to bite or not!

10. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    4 left, price now $160. Mine set to arrive this weekend. Pics after that. Can`t wait to check out those soup bars and maepel top.

11. Evan Ciambrone

Evan Ciambrone

Nov 22, 2006
    Just ordered one for myself as a birthday present....160 dollars seems worth checking out.

12. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I'm confused about that top, too.

There are some dirt cheap Deans from the lower MSRP range at the moment on Amazon, but I sort of doubt they'd have much appeal here.

After eventually getting that $132.99 Edge Bartolini thing, I think I'll quit while I'm ahead. That was a great deal and a really, really nice bass (with the exception of the EMG active tone control, which is kind of mediocre).

I don't expect to do better. ;)

I should actually play that bass sometime. I'm not even sure what I did with it. It's around here someplace. :meh:

13. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    No, I don`t expect to do better, either - that was a great deal. But, I do expect this one to be on par with it except for the pups. It appears to be the same neck, which was surprisingly good quality. And, compared to the Bart model, I expect the body of this one to be quite nice, too. I`ll buy any bass that I can play around with and then sell for more than I paid, or at least break even
    :D

14. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    Arrives tomorrow. Pics after.

15. Evan Ciambrone

Evan Ciambrone

Nov 22, 2006
    Well I got mine yesterday, shipped in a day?

The good- sounds about as good as any bass you could possibly get for 160$. Sounds great. Build is pretty good. Neck is really thin, smooth, comfortable etc.

QC is non-existent. Ground wire not soldered to output jack, plastic covering only on neck pickup, paint on neck bolts (how?) fretbuzz on first three frets, etc.

Overall- it's a 450$ fixer up for 160 and I couldn't be happier. Very fun bass, and I really enjoy the pickup spacing/tones that are available. Covers a really nice spectrum. Bridge pickup gets great harmonic clarity and near Jaco bite, just a little warmer/quieter. Neck is great for super punchy slap or motown/blues/etc. Blend is a nice modern rock type tone.

16. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I had one of these years ago. Worst player I've ever owned. I consider myself to have a medium-light touch, and I could not set this bass up to not have fretbuzz all over unless the action was at an unrealistic level, and this was with perfect frets.

I wound up parting the bass out.

17. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    IMG_1647. IMG_1646. IMG_1643. IMG_1642. IMG_1641. IMG_1640. IMG_1638. Pics don`t do it justice - it is beautiful ! If anything, the build quality appears slightly better than the Bart model from the winter. Appears to be the same neck as the Bart; thin satin finish, smooth as glass. About the Bartolini model: mine did not have the hissing issues stated by so many, but it did not have much tonal variety either. It had a great metal sound (best bass for metal ?); hoping this one will be a little more adjustable and warmer. Have not tried it out yet, but if it plays and sounds halfway as good as it looks.... Another big thanks to Bongo for passing this along to us :)

18. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    You are most welcome. I live to serve and entertain. ;)

19. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Nice looking bass. Where are these made? I assume Korea or China......?

20. Evan Ciambrone

Evan Ciambrone

Nov 22, 2006

So how do you like yours pnut? Assuming you've set it up/played it by now.