Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Markley RM-400-SB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tombowlus, Mar 3, 2006.

1. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Does anyone know the history of this amp? I just scored one off ebay (a 400w head for a stupid low BIN = what the heck! :D). I am presuming that someone made it for them. Looking at the setup, I kind of like the feature set: bass, mid (with selector switch for freq.) treble, variable send and variable return effects loop, defeatable limiter, 400w into 4 ohm, etc.

Heck, the BIN includes a Monster Cable speaker cable, so this thing is like, really cheap. :cool:

Any information on this would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom.

2. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I almost bought that last nite before you did. Give us the report when you get it.

3. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Will do!

4. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    FWIW I had a 60W Guitar Combo from Dean Markley (back in the day). They built them, not someone else, and it was built like a brick sh**house. I am fairly certain that it'll be a VERY loud 400W and it'll be quite sturdy. As for the sound... there's no telling, the guitar amp I had was crystal clear, and very sanitized sounding, with the proper preamp or pickups who knows.... Good score nonetheless!

5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Wow, I did not know that they built their own amps. Very interesting.

Thanks, Tom.

6. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    I scanned the internet looking for a review on it last nite, and could find nothing. The Markley website doesn't list any manual, or acknowledge it at all.

7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I had one of these some year back. It was "OK" at best. I didn't think it was real loud for it's rated wattage. "Plain Jane" tone as I recall. Nothing special. If you got it for dirt cheap, I guess it's ok as a beater. Oh, when I sold it, I shipped it (packed it very well) and it did not work once the buyer got it. Hopefully it was a freak thing and this is not a fragile amp, but that's what happened to me with mine (had to give the buyer his $ back). Sorry if this is depressing.. :crying:

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Nah, for $120 and a Monster Cable speaker cable, I'm cool. Heck, it might even become a test platform for some preamp projects I've been working on. :smug:

9. Quadzilla

Yeah, it worth $120 fo' sho'.

10. RobertUI

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Tom! Did you get yours yet? I just scored one of these on eBay last night for a REAL bargain. I'll have to replace some pots, but I am curious how yours has been. You may have started a trend here :)

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7396613824&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT"> link</a>

11. Quadzilla

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Wow, your price beats mine, for sure! As it turns out, mine may not be 100% functional, and it may be going back. :(

Tom.

13. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I still have one of those 60 watt combos, and it's been a great guitar amp - no complaints here... In fact, when I 1st got it, I had an old Marshall 100watt Superlead, and a Twin Reverb - the Marshall was great for distortion, and had a "presence" knob - but no reverb, and wasn't good sounding clean - the Fender sounded great clean, had a nice reverb - but not so great distorted, and no "presence" - the Dean Markley did it all, and did it well... I kept it, and sold both the Marshall and the Twin Reverb - and don't regret it...

I hope those work out for you guys...

- georgestrings

14. RobertUI

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I'll let you all know once I get mine and have a chance to check it out. This is the start of my sub-$200 rig which includes this head and 1x15 GenzBenz that I just put a brand new CB15 in. I think that this might be the best "cheap" set up ever!

15. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    So Tom, Whats the report on this thing , now that you've had time to fire it up???

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Unfortunately, it has some issues, and I do not believe it to be 100% functional. I still need to work this out with the seller.

Tom.

17. RobertUI

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
  18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well, you will need two more drivers, but still that should be okay.

As for mine, I got the seller to give me back some of my money (he was very cool about it) and I am going to have a tech go over everything and get her back in shape.

Tom.

19. RobertUI

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    good to hear that you didn't get the shaft on your amp.

so you don't think that the eminence replacements will be suitable for that cab? from what i see there are 4 drivers in there. don't care if there aren't, but i think that there are...

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Perhaps it's my bad, but it looked to me like there were two drivers in the front facing baffle and two empty holes in the angled baffle. :meh: