Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DFW get-together anyone??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ty McNeely, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Well, we had a little discussion going on awhile back about a DFW get-together, but it seems to have died.

Anyone up for a meet?

EDIT FOR ALL NEWCOMERS TO THIS THREAD:

Here is the date, time, location, and rules for this get-together:

Date: July 31, 2004

Time: Begins at 11:00 a.m., show up as early as possible and leave when you must

1047 E. Hwy 121 Unit D3
    Lewisville, TX

*Basically (for all points Texas) get on I-35 towards Dallas
    *Go north beyond Dallas
    *Take the BUSINESS 121 exit (DON"T take the Hwy 121 exit)
    *Take a right so you're now headed north on Business 121
    *You will go over some railroad tracks
    *Look for 1047 E. Hwy. 121 Unit D3 (it'll be on your left)

Rules:

1.) If you own a guitar stand, bring it. If you two guitar stands, bring them. If you own three guitar stands......I think you get the idea.

2.) Don't be afraid to bring ALL of your gear, no matter how "insignificant" or "lowly" it may seem in light of other high-end gear. If YOU like it, bring it!

3.) PLEASE, if you plan on coming, post in this thread. That doesn't mean you have to read all of it, but PLEASE just post and let us know so we can get a headcount.

That's all, as far as I know. Pete Skjold is sponsoring this shindig and is providing hamburgers, hotdogs, and drinks for all (hence the reason we need a headcount).

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    YES!!!!

I was thinking it was about that time, but wasn't invited! I'm in, and I'm sure Razor is too!

Someone get TuBass and the guys togother, lets do it!

3. Hmmmm.....

4. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    if you can wait a few weeks...I'm moving to Dallas...yeah!

5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Well, the only problem with me is that I'm busy EVERY weekend until the last weekend in July/August (i.e. July 31/August 1). It's still little while off and would allow us to get as many people into it as possible, but I'm wondering if it's TOO long and will die in the process like it did last time???

Everybody chime in!! Maybe we can get Pac and NJL to come up from San Antonio, and maybe Paul from Austin :eek: :D

6. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I'm in and I'll help, but I don't think i can host this time, Sorry!

Mark

7. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I could host it here in my house east of Austin (Bastrop) but it's gotta happen before July 6th and you'll have to be content to be in a house with moving boxes everywhere. That would make for a long drive for the DFW folks, but kinda central for most.
    hmmm....maybe I should check with the wife before offering...naaahhhh.... :D

8. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    That raises a great point, would it have to be in DFW? What about a more central part of Texas? Maybe we could find something near Waco? That way no one is traveling terribly far. Any thoughts?

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    What? You want to get together at the airport????? ;)

10. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    There ARE worse places to meet. Besides, you got a flight coming in? :D

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    So far, all my Texas experience has been a few dozen plane changes at DFW and maybe three or four at IAH. ;)

12. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'd stand a considerably better chance of being able to attend an Austin/Waco GTG than a DFW one. My schedule's tight and I'd have to play any GTG by ear, but if this works for others it definitely works for me!

:)

13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    If it happens early next month, I might be able to make it. My little brother is finally coming back from Iraq around that time, and I will be in Dallas to meet him. Keep me posted gents!

14. IAH! H-town reprezzzzent!

I'm game for a DFW get together, if I can convince my parents. It's about a 4 hour drive from Houston.

15. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Well, that eliminates me until after August 13. I'm not in Waco right now--I'm back home in Oklahoma. Austin alone would be at least a 4 1/2 hour trip, and thats with no traffic :(

Given enough warning I suppose I COULD make it, but it would just be pretty tough all around.

I'm up for whatever the majority says, but I don't know if all the DFW people would want to drive 2 1/2 hours for a meet.

16. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I live in Shreveport and would love to come, but I'm too busy with school and too broke to make the trip. :(

17. Actually, my sister is going to dallas for a week in early august to babysit some relatives while their parents are out of town....maybe I could go with her if you guys do it then. I wouldn't have any transportation to get where I need to go though from there.

Fraid that would be the only way I could go.

18. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    DigMe made it from Temple to Dallas last time. Lets start getting some dates that people can do. Mr. Strange, when will you be in? Nothing says Texas redneck party like me being there ;)

19. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I just thought of this. IF it was in central/east Texas, would anyone be willing to carpool? What's the distance to DFW Ty? It could possible way to cut your trip in half, and give you a killer chance to meet someone new. Just an idea.

That goes for anyone. Like if it is in DFW, the central folks could carpool, sharing gas duties sounds good enough for me :D

20. outofthedeep

outofthedeep Guest

Jan 14, 2004
    East Texas
    I am only like 2-3 hrs. from DFW, dependeing on what part I go to. I know I am not really well known around here, but I would like to meet some of you guys, and hopefully learn something useful. Keep me posted if something happens.