1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dick Lovgren of Meshuggah

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gereyster, Feb 17, 2008.

1. gereyster

gereyster

Nov 23, 2007
    his bass tone is a killer! how do you get that sound? im digging it big time!

for reference:

2. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Maybe a Pro Co Turbo Rat for some gritty distortion. Sweet Warwick!

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  4. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    The only time I can hear that dude is on Chaosphere, which is a great tone, however he gets it. All the other albums seem to use the Magic Newstead ...And Justice For All pedal.

Tomas Haake is one of those dudes who plays stuff that was once, and likely still is by many, thought impossible.

5. rochishin

rochishin

Jan 23, 2008
    I can't remember where I read or saw it but I think he uses a line 6 guitar head (vetta II?). Search Tomas Haake as well. I hope this helps.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    You didn't hear Dick Lovren on Chaosphere - you heard Gustaf Helm. Dick didn't join until after the I EP. You can really hear him on the re-recorded version of Nothing - one of my fav metal records of all time.

My guess is that he runs through a POD, just like the guitarists in Meshuggah.

7. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Oh yea, that Warick Dolphin kicks ass. I'm surprised he's not using that Warwick that's supposed to go down to a low F#, though.

8. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Oh okay, whoops.

I still have yet to check out the re-recorded Nothing album, not sure why really. I is my favourite from them, very much looking forward to obZen (even if I already downloaded it, I want to wait until I buy it :D ).

9. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    I just watched the video and love that sound. He's got a pair of EBS Fafner stacks in the video. Now, I could be wrong, but he appears to be running a Line6 VettaII head as a pre on one side.

10. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    The remastered Nothing (As far as I know, the only re-recorded parts are only a couple more layers of guitars) is amazing! Perpetual Black Second and Closed Eye Visuals back to back is just fantastic.

Personally I'd never want Dick's tone, but it seems to me that if you take everything "warm" about bass and get rid of it, you'd get close. Will be more specific when I'm not as out of it.

11. I'm kinda disappointed he doesn't tune an octave lower than the guitarist.

12. rochishin

rochishin

Jan 23, 2008
  13. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    If I'm not mistaken, the guitarists now tune to F on eight strings so their lowest note is the same as the 1st fret on the E string of a 4 string bass. It would be pretty hard to get a bass to go a whole octave lower than that.

14. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    sorry if im missing sarcasm.. but why would one tune lower then the guitarist?:ninja:

15. ben_the_bass

ben_the_bass

Jul 12, 2005
    Rocklin
    my little 25 watt crate practice amp has that kind of distortion! don't waste money on these 4-grand-a-pop cabs! get a lil amp and launch it into outer space!

16. It's not hard at all. Just takes a heavy, heavy gauge string and some good amplification. You haven't been around Talkbass long enough. :p

Uh... you do know a bass in almost all cases will be an octave lower than the guitars. or am i missing your sarcasm. :confused:

17. the guitarist did all the bass on the albums just through a vetta II and thats what the bassists use live.

18. eyvindwa

eyvindwa Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    While the sound in that vid is kind of cool, he could have played a more interesting "solo".

19. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    That's not a solo - he was playing his part for a song off Nothing.

[​IMG]

Everything is re-recorded. Bass, guitars, and vocals are all new takes, and all the drums were programmed using samples taken from Thomas Haake's kit. Some of the songs are slower, and some have been extended.

20. eyvindwa

eyvindwa Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    Oh, I see. The title of the video, 'Tomas Haake and Dick Lovgren Drum and Bass Solo', is somewhat misleading then. (Guess I should have recognized the song anyway, though Nothing is not exactly my favourite Mesh album (that would be DEI)).

Looking forward to obZen :bassist: