1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

differences in MM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lemoore-on, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Lemoore-on

Lemoore-on

May 11, 2008
    Mainly between the stirling & stingray. I'm suposed to look at a MM tomorow the 3rd party setting this meeting up does'nt know what it is:eyebrow: its 3 years old and the dood wants $700. for it. I dont know much about MM's

2. Iroquoi

Iroquoi

Sep 18, 2008
    stingray - the classic mm model, a funk machine, slap machine, fun machine. is built like a tank. look for videos on youtube and see by wourself
    sterling - very similar to the stingray but with thinner body and neck, but the tone is very similar, but the sterling has more tonal options due to one switch sistem that the rays usually don't have (on the 1 pup version)

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    It's kind of like the difference between doing a search, and not doing a search.

4. tidnab

tidnab

Jan 21, 2009
    Simi Valley, CA
    just be sure it's not a stingray SUB... 700 may be a little high for an SUB stingray imo... also make sure it's not an OLP ray'...

good luck

5. Lemoore-on

Lemoore-on

May 11, 2008
    Thanks, thats what I was looking for.

I knew about the OLP's, I was told it was a EB MM.

6. If its the single pickup version the Sterling will have a pickup selector switch, the Stingray doesnt.

The Sterling has a smaller body and thinner neck than the 'ray.

Good luck, seems like a good price if it's a legit MM!

7. Humbucked

Humbucked

Mar 17, 2009
    Australia
    The Sterling will have 'Sterling' written on the headstock... while the Musicman will have 'Musicman' written on the headstock... :smug:

The neck on the MM is wider near the headstock, and the neck slightly thicker. I switched from Stingray to Sterling because the neck feels easier to play. And for the reasons the other guys said about the versatility in the pickup options on the Sterling.