1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dilemma.........thoughts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MovingPitchers, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Decisions, decisions......

The Ramone P-Bass neck I "accidentally" bought off Stratosphere arrived at my post office today. Before I pick it up, I'm debating whether to leave it unopened and send it back (yeah and pay shipping fees and all that).....OR keep it, and sell the Mendel neck I have on my current P.

The Mendel P is great but the 1.615" nut width makes it feel like a Jazz Bass to me and I like Precisions to have a thick neck...NOT 1.75" wide, but about 1.625" or so. The Ramone neck is maple and has the 1.625" nut width, which would be awesome but I can't justify spending $500 CAD on a guitar neck....

Any thoughts?

2. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Sounds like a very personal decision, my friend. We cannot fathom the nuances of your fiscal and/or marital situation.

3. Well I'm not really married and financially, it'd make more sense to send it back, lose a couple bucks for shipping, but still have that money back, in comparison to keeping it and maybe...just maybe...a sweet bass on Classifieds or Craigslist will show up but I can't buy it because I have no money.

Decisions...decisions......

4. jaybones

jaybones Banned

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    Since you say financially it doesn't matter, I'd keep the neck and put it on your bass. Its more of what you want in a neck, and its here, paid for and all that.

And how does one "accidentally" buy something on eBay?

REMBO and staurosjohn like this.
  5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Considering the whole bass was selling for $599 (yes, I know, US price) I would definitely have to ponder the decision to keep it.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  6. It was through Stratosphere Parts

7. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    The only times I "accidentally" have bought stuff is when I've made a lowball ebay "Make Offer" bid and it was accepted. I did get some very good "accidental" buys that way.

8. I'd keep the Ramone neck because of the nut width.

REMBO likes this.
  9. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Not "really married". ???????

10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

$500 ($375 USD) strikes me as being an outrageous amount of money to pay for a plain vanilla maple fretted bass neck.

Tanner5382, mongo2 and alembicguy like this.
  11. Exactly. I refused the item so I don't have to pay shipping returns. All good. I don't care about the fretboard wood. That's not my concern. It's that the Mendel neck feels like a jazz neck to me. I want my Precisions to have chunk and meat on their necks.

12. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I think you could find a cheaper, chunkier neck.

13. Yeah my thoughts exactly. I might get an MIM neck and sell the Mendel and make some money.

14. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I can't stomach Stratosphere prices, and something about disassembling a brand new instrument and parting it out with a huge markup bothers me on a gut level. I get it, market capitalism, filling a niche, etc, but their pricing is ridiculous. You could probably buy a custom neck made to your exact specs for less than that. Send it back and re-think what need you are trying to fill.

petrus61, 40Hz and MovingPitchers like this.
  15. Thanks for the advice. And I agree. Their prices are ridiculous and since I'm in Canada, it's worse for me.

I refused the package. I'll keep browsing the Classifieds until something that fits my needs and wants comes up

wintremute likes this.
  16. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    It's called Stratosphere. The name begs for them to overprice. It's the opposite of bargain basement.

17. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    0.1" difference for $500CAD?

18. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Have you considered a Warmouth neck? They can customize nearly every parameter, and the quality is outstanding. I have a lined fretless Jazz neck from Warmouth I got years ago, it's exactly what I asked for in profile, finish, the works.

mongo2 likes this.
  19. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Thats a no brainer.
    Send it back and lesson learned.

20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

This. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Gilmourisgod likes this.