Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. IvanBassist

IvanBassist Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, G&L
    Thanks! Keeping the same bass line consistent during the whole song is not easy. Specially when you decide to record right before going to sleep :roflmao:

2. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    No doubt. I have some kind of attention deficit issues and struggle with keeping on focus.

J R Knots likes this.
  3. johnsonabq

johnsonabq Watch out where the huskies go... Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Maybe if the pups were in series? Just spit balling here. I had a Super P5 for a while and thought the tone fusion was a good idea. Although I would never use it (not my tone), I could see it's use for slap. Honestly, I never had a use for a "tone" control on all passive basses. Too much of a "blunt instrument", no finesse'. I would rather do my tone shaping at the amp then. YMMV

That's me though. I still find the absence of a 3X Super P to be very disappointing. I've heard the reasoning, still disappointed. :eyebrow:
    Same with Spector. Very disappointed when they refused to build (USA Shop) a Coda P5 XL. At least the Super P5 has a 35" B string. :rolleyes:

Good thing I love my AB1.:thumbsup:

4. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    You could put some P tones in the Ab!

5. johnsonabq

johnsonabq Watch out where the huskies go... Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    True dat! But I love my AB as is. When I solo the neck pup it has a VERY P like sound to it already. I do plan to put a p-tone in the middle position of the D-Roc I have coming and solo that.

AB Nate likes this.
  6. Rocky55

Rocky55 Supporting Member

Correct. I have a SP being built and expected to be delivered in August. I originally spec'd it with a PJ set up but couldn't get the Tone Fusion with that option. After some thinking, I decided to forego the J pup and make it a straight SP. I went for a more traditional look on that one Lake Placid Blue with matching headstock, and thought the PJ setup looked a little too busy. I already have a SJ, Z3, NG3, as well as my old '77 P-bass with an Aguilar PJ setup. I think my tonal options will be covered. :)

And although I usually run passive Ps and Js with the tone fully open, the Tone Fusion I tried on a SP provided another layer of tones.... some more vintage P sounds. Is it August yet?

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Even with passive basses (and not just in a reggae setting) I've never used an instrument with the tone all the way up. I always have a particular 'spot' on a passive roll-off that just is the exact right place. It may be in a slightly different location on different basses, but it's there.

The way the passive control reaches further down the frequency spectrum as you roll it is pretty different from what happens at most amps and/or with active preamps, so to me it's a very different animal than adjusting my amp. The closest thing on an amp is when Markbass had the 'Vintage Loudspeaker Emulator' filter.

8. IvanBassist

IvanBassist Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, G&L
    Funny that you mention that. I just recorded a video about using the tone control :laugh:

9. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    There's also some magic that occurs at the resonant peak that occurs at the "knee" frequency where you've set the passive roll-off. A lot of old Neve consoles worked like this where you would cut off all the stuff up top that you don't want and at the same time you get a little boost right at the top of the usable frequency range. It's incredibly useful for highlighting what you want and simultaneously getting rid of all the stuff you don't with a single control.

10. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    See, those who know, know.

Though I think lots of people don't use it as a scalpel, rather a chainsaw...then it becomes less useful.

AB Nate likes this.
  11. Snowglo

Snowglo Pro Aris et Focis Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2013
    Orygun
    U.S. Military endorsement since 1984

Why can’t they all be as simple as EVH’s Strat…..one knob fits all!?!?!?

12. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    I have no interest in a bass with absolutely chance to adjust the tone on the fly.

But I've also never understood people's obsession with 'running a bass flat' or 'running an amp flat'. There's no such thing as flat But people act like it's a point of pride not to touch any knobs or even have any to touch. There are still tone and design choices in every piece of gear that basically 'touches the knobs' before you get it and pretty much every playing situation is different. Play in 10 different rooms and you'll still have to adjust your tone to get 'your tone' as close to the same every time.

anton72, SemiDriven, AB Nate and 5 others like this.
  13. Snowglo

Snowglo Pro Aris et Focis Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2013
    Orygun
    U.S. Military endorsement since 1984
    I was being a smart$$$.

SemiDriven, AB Nate and seedokebass like this.
  14. AmazingMumford

AmazingMumford Supporting Member

May 8, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Something akin to the blend knob on my old jazz fretless. There's a point in the sweep--about a third of the way back toward the bridge pickup--where the phase interaction does something special.

IvanBassist likes this.
  15. madmaskbass

madmaskbass

Apr 29, 2008
    Australia
    Well I just committed to a few nice upgrades to my new NG6. USA Hipshot tuners and bridges in black, 6 way switch and Dingwall knobs. Be gone shadow chrome! I also am selling 3 basses as the Dingwall has rendered them to the rack of dustiness.

16. 1983L2000

1983L2000

Jun 1, 2010
    Switzerland
    Which black bridges did you get?

17. madmaskbass

madmaskbass

Apr 29, 2008
    Australia
    Hipshot solo mate

18. 1983L2000

1983L2000

Jun 1, 2010
    Switzerland
    Thanks - I didn't know about those; let us know how they look and work in practice (pics!). Do the holes align with those of the NG saddles?

19. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Apologies in advance: I'm positive this has already been discussed to death, almost certainly in this very thread...but my Search-Fu is weak, I cannot find it. Mea culpa.

Can anyone point me to a comprehensive comparison of the Darkglass versus Glockenklang preamps in a Dingwall? Curious which one folks prefer and why, the pros & cons of each, whether one is optimized for a particular sound or style moreso than the other, blah-blah-blah... Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  20. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Do you mean Darkglass vs Glockenklang? I'm not certain that DG and Aggie have been offered side-by-side.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021