Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. shade_1313

shade_1313

May 31, 2005
    Basically the same selections as the “standard” 6-way sold at fretnation, and middle solo subbed in for bridge solo?

2. Jack Deth

Jack Deth

May 7, 2020
    Missouri
    I ordered an AB1 from Jason set up with the D-Roc rotary and 3 series/parallel toggles. Once it come in it is getting sent to Mo to have the toggles replaced with off/series/parallel (3-way toggle) switches. When the rotary is set to all 3 pickups I’ll have the ability to turn any of them on or off and in series or parallel. Seemed like an optimum setup to me.

3. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    That bass and its four string twin were owned by a long-time member here who passed away recently, I think earlier this year. I remember he listed the four string in the classifieds about ten years ago, but ended up keeping it. I was very interested and had some communications with him but couldn’t swing it at the time. My understanding is that a friend sold both basses on Reverb on behalf of the estate.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with either bass, my guess is somebody heard “first six string Dingwall” and saw an opportunity for a quick flip. But I have no personal knowledge.

AB Nate likes this.
  4. SemiDriven

SemiDriven Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    The "All on per dingwall" setting is bridge/middle (parallel) in series with neck? If so, I'm wondering out loud how all 3-pickups in series would sound (if that's even doable).

Do you find that your "middle solo" selection is the most kick-ass selection of all options?

I am just blown away by the oomph that middle pickup delivers on my my D-Bird #3 setting.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  5. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Soloing the neck pickup on my NG-2 inspired me to go with the D-Roc switch on my new AB 3x so I can solo that middle pickup. It kicks like a big, bad P with a serious attitude. :bassist:

6. shade_1313

shade_1313

May 31, 2005
    I’m thinking that I like the configuration of Nate’s 6-way. I do really like the middle soloed on my D-Roc.

7. I always wondered this about those cabs. But wouldn’t those small speakers get in the way of the big speaker and muffle the sound some what?

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Not at all. They sound REALLY good, especially for modeler (Fractal Audio, Helix, etc) users. They're pretty "flat" sounding. Very even, but still musical. Not at all muffled.

AB Nate likes this.
  9. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    Pretty darn close hey. I wonder if that switch is series or parallel for the bridge+neck?

10. shade_1313

shade_1313

May 31, 2005
    The normal setup for the switches on Fretnation’s site is Bridge and Neck in Parallel, same as Dingwall’s 3x switches.

11. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    it’s a killer setting but honestly, and surprisingly to me…. With my togo rig… I found that jazz parallel with bridge toggle parallel and neck toggle series to be just raunchy.
    I love the raunchy middle P sound for sure and I really love the more refined neck P sound for Casual moments.
    The all on setting is fricken rad but to hang back just a bit I gravitated to the J Setting.

SemiDriven likes this.
  12. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Of course. Makes sense he would do that on his 6 way then.

I wanted to get rowdy with this bass so the most chill vibes at the Mm In parallel setting. The Jazz Series just barks and snarls.

13. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    The middle pickup tone like super P bass mode. I wish my P bass and other P's sounded like that!

14. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Not mine, but if anyone is looking for a black/white swirl 5-string NG2 or a Blackburst 6-string Combustion - check Guitar Center's website.

15. DingwallDingus

DingwallDingus

Sep 26, 2018
    I've been doing a lot of test recording/tone chasing flipping between mainly the neck only on an NG-2 and both in series. With my dirt + compression rig the P tone sounds akin to Billy Sheehan but it's almost too nasty for recording, not for the faint of heart if you can't handle a bit of noise and grind.

I am still curious what pickup position Tony Levin was using on that LTE song with him on the NG.

seedokebass likes this.
  16. shade_1313

shade_1313

May 31, 2005
    I ended up messaging Fretnation this morning, inquiring about a six-way with the middle solo subbed in for the bridge solo. If all goes well, I’ll have two more pickup choices on my NG3 soon…sort of. Two additional choices, and one removed and replaced.

17. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    This is me 99% of the time on my Super J. From there I dial in as much midrange as I want/need for a gig, and if necessary roll off a little top end for mellower tunes. It’s a setting that just works time and time again for me.

…admittedly I wouldn’t mind replacing the bridge solo that I never use with an all-on setting for the novelty of it :smug:

AB Nate likes this.
  18. goldendomer04

goldendomer04 Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2018
    Hey Dingwall Lovers,

I am currently playing an older AB1 equipped with FD3 pickups and Blue EQube.

I am having a difficult time enjoying my parallel basses as much as I did pre-Dingwall, (and I’ve been thinking about downsizing for a while now) so I have decided to sell a couple basses and order a Super… :)

I’m having an embarrassingly difficult time choosing between a SJ 3x and a SPJ. Either way, I’ll be going passive, but if I go with the SJ I’ll be going with the 3-toggle option.

Do you all think one of these two options would better compliment my AB1? If so, why?

Thanks in advance

19. goldendomer04

goldendomer04 Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2018
    I had made up my mind to go with a SPJ, but then I had the idea of adding a ptone to my AB1 and going the SJx3 route.

This opened up my current can of worms….

Nuage420 likes this.
  20. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Went for $10,500!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 24, 2021