1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DMC.micro with Zoom MS functionality?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassbrad, Jan 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Disaster Area Designs has introduced the DMC.micro midi controller that may offer easier user interface. I am not at all clever with midi and wanted to know what functions are available. If it is patch up and down that might do but it would be great to have additional access or options.

Help a luddite brother out.

2. From my understanding of the Zoom unit is that it isn't actually designed to be midi controllable, although there seems to be a few vids about that claim that have cracked open more functionality than USB midi would usually offer.

3. bump, hoping for some traction

4. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    @GMC is right in that Zoom MS pedals have limited functionality available though midi; however, what conveniences are afforded through the DMC gen3 pedals are well worth it. You should be able to scroll through individual pedals as well as saved presets; and if I have not misunderstood DA posts on the TGP, the DMC.micro can also access the tuner. It can also control two other midi devices at the same time, like a Source Audio or Two Notes pedal. I'm planning on getting one soon--just need to post some gear for sale. :)

5. Hi Ricky. GMC might have been referring to some of my videos (which are a bit out of date.) The MS pedals do have quite extensive midi functionality possible - far more than patch selection and tuner control.
    I have a controller available now which costs more, but does quite a lot more (including, for example, expression pedal control of any effect parameter.) If you only want patch change and tuner control, the DMC.micro might be the better choice. Otherwise, you might consider the ZPI. (It can control multiple pedals and includes a general purpose midi interface.)
    Here's a link to an old overview - I must update this (and then start to push it a bit more!) If you go to youtube and follow the links in the description, there's more info...

Cheers
    Dave

Ricky Caboverde and TheEmptyCell like this.
  6. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    That fact that you've created a midi controller that also works on a mobile device is pretty genius--that is awesome!

For anyone still curious about the DMC.micro and it's functionality, here is the manual: http://www.disasterareaamps.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/DMC.micro-Manual.pdf

7. Thanks Ricky. To be very clear: the mobile device (or desktop) is used only for display and user input (via a VNC viewer - a remote desktop type of program.) All of the midi/controller stuff is in the black floor unit.

Ricky Caboverde likes this.
  8. Hoping for a hands on report, even 100 bucks is tough for me these days.

9. Bump, anyone, bueller.

10. neuman

neuman

Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO 'burbs
    I picked up a disaster area micro controller and the 2 usb cables from Amazon so I could get right angled ends.

So far, only used the patch up, patch down function. Haven't explored any further; hoping to this weekend.

bassbrad likes this.
  11. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    Please keep us posted!

bassbrad likes this.