Do I Deserve a Boutique Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by baddarryl, May 6, 2021.

1. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Ok so i laid my hands on a Dingwall Combustion and was very impressed. I didn't play one, but the local dealer has an AB1 Afterburner in stock. I am very very tempted by that. I understand the difference among the Canadian basses and they seem worth it. Honestly it's actually rare that I'm in the position to afford one. I am only half joking about deserving it, but I really am a hack. I see players better that me constantly. In fact most seem to be especially among my age. My only real confidence stems from the fact that other people want me to play for them. I have never considered that kind of money for a bass, but that B string is to die for. Even the Combustion makes my Stingray 5 feel like an old clunker! Aaaaaagh!!

Beej, lomo, UncleBalsamic and 10 others like this.
  2. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Well, the way I see it is that we can either buy something we really like while we're around to enjoy it, or we never get to know what it was like to own one. I choose the first option if I can swing it. If I'm okay never knowing what it was like to own one, then it wasn't really for me.
    As far as being a good enough player to deserve one, there are always going to be both those who praise you and those who are critical of you, no matter what level you achiever. I say go for it.

Editing this because it sounded too grim.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  3. TheDirtyLowDown

TheDirtyLowDown

Mar 8, 2014
    Buy a better instrument if/when it inspires and leads you to be a better player!

4. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    The decision shouldn't rest with how accomplished a player you are. Instead (IMHO), it's more a question of important music is to you. In my experience, a high end bass with its enhanced playability helps you get closer to the music that is within you.

(That sounds a bit "woo-ey" as I read it. But that was my thought 25 years ago when I bought first one and then a second Pedulla MVP. I have never - not even for a micro-second - regretted those decisions.)

5. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    If you have to ask us, then you don't.

But, if it makes you happy, you don't have to ask us.

6. Hoyt

Hoyt

Jun 29, 2006
    Saint Charles, IL.
    Sometimes, a choice piece of gear can actually make you a better player.

For instance, my intonation improved vastly on my upright after I bought my Greenboy cabinet because I could hear myself so clearly.

If you have the coin and the desire, I say go for it!

7. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    I'm a hack and I own some very nice instruments. I like them, I can afford them and they inspire me to work hard at becoming a better player. Seems like a win all around to me.

8. joelns

joelns

Mar 10, 2014
    Deserve is irrelevant. Will it make you happy? That's a better question.

9. Skip Chucker

Skip Chucker

Dec 9, 2018
    Kalamazoo
    People buy cars, airplanes, sailboats, houses, guns, etc... that they don't "need" or don't have the skill to use to their full potential.

Who cares. They can afford it, and they wanted it. If you want one, go for it.

Relayer71, Lucky Chuck, lomo and 11 others like this.
  10. Ultimately, if you can afford it and you want it, buy it. It may inspire you to become a better player. It may just make you happy. Only you can decide.
    I had similar thoughts before I got my Valenti. It constantly makes me happy when I play it. I feel it was money well spent.

11. It's canadian made, I would not hesitate ;) Pull the trigger!

lomo, sloppy_phil, Meaculpa and 5 others like this.
  12. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    Not a boutique but related:

I recently bought an EB Stingray.....I am a registered nurse

When my wife asked why I spent 2K on a bass I said "Because I work the Covid unit and I wipe old mens' butts"

She paused for a sec, walked off and said "Yeah, OK......."

:)

i hope this response is helpful

13. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    You won’t regret having a Dingwall. Buy used, and know the going prices. If it turns out it’s not your thing, you’ll be able to move it along.

Dingwalls can be habit forming.

14. Drog

Drog

Feb 3, 2020
    I say yes, because that’s exactly what I did and don’t have any regrets. I just enjoy playing and smiling

jazzyvee likes this.
  15. Londo Molari

Londo Molari

Jan 1, 2014
    2 blocks east of Mars
    Decendant from the Clovis culture. "Emitting that wonderful bass effect since 1970".
  16. I’ll put it this way. The person I personally know with the most money in gear is a neurosurgeon that I work with, he probably has at least a hundred grand in guitar gear, just plays as a part time hobby, and just started playing like two years ago. In other words if you can afford it buy what you want. I’m very happy with my production Dingwall. If I came across a used custom I really liked and had the money I’d buy it. But I can’t afford one this very moment and even if I could I can’t wait their insanely long build time for a new custom. If they can ever get it down to 4-6 months maybe, but I’ve heard some people are waiting two years to get a bass. I don’t know what I’ll be doing two years from now.

17. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Seattle, Wa
    You absolutely deserve it. Treat you self to something nice. Do things that make you happy.

18. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Bass ownership is not decided by merit! :)

19. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor!

Jan 30, 2012
    Central Jersey
    Yes, buy what you want and deserve.

StevieMac likes this.
  20. thewildest

thewildest

May 25, 2011
    Florida, USA
    Once a long while there is a thread where all replies align with the slippery idea of “common sense”… and this is one. All replies are spot on. An inspiring instrument will boost forward your inspiration to play and sound better. What better investment for your heart and soul that a musical instrument???

Being proudly Canadian myself, i wanted to say something Canadian about Canadian-made basses… the flag means nothing, the merit is not in flags or country borders. The only merit Dingwall, FBass, Lado, MF and many others have is in their amazing craft, same as many other amazing luthiers in all other places.

All the best in your quest finding your sound! It’s a fun journey where you learn about instruments as much as you learn about yourself.

StevieMac and Vitamin D like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021