Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do Stickers Make a Bass Trashy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RyanJD, May 3, 2012.

1. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    Title pretty much says it all.
    I have a beater bass I couldn't sell for $60 so I decided to keep it.
    I put a few stickers on it quite a few years ago (I'm 18 now, so you can imagine) and I think I'm gonna put a ton on like you see on some crappy guitars and basses.
    The bass is just hanging on my wall now and I like it as a decoration.
    I know stickers are usually frowned upon, but I found some good ones so I'm gonna plaster it. Is that trashy? Probably.
    Anyone have pictures of basses with stickers? I would like to see them.
    Here's the bass I was referring to:

[​IMG]

I've since put a few more stickers on and there will be more to come.
    And for the record, I have a couple of nice basses that will never see the back side a sticker while I own them.

:p

2. [​IMG]

Flea and his wonderful modulus. So no, it makes it cool, in many instances :D

3. Register_To_Disable

4. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

Nov 2, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    I would never even DREAM of putting stickers on one of my basses. But then again, I don't play in any kind of punk band and I'm all about preserving the value in my instrument.

5. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Neo Maxie Zoom Dweebie Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Jeff Ament stickers his basses and it looks ok. I would never put stickers on a nice bass but a $60 beater? Sure, why not?

6. jplumansoc

jplumansoc

Mar 15, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    depends? my G&L is cherryburst and my Ibanez is a neckthrough... so i like the look of them alone. But I do have a Yamaha something random crap that is a glossy purple, i put stickers on that just for the lols. I'd show you a pic but my friend is wanting to learn bass so I gave him something to dick around on.

7. IMO, yes. They make a bass look tacky. However, it is acceptable and expected for a cheap beater.

8. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Who cares? It's your bass, do what you want with it.

devntran likes this.
  9. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

NO WAY, i have lots of basses this one by far isnt trashy or cheap for that matter, nor do i feel my stickering it made it that way. it is the only one i have with stickers why, because thats that way i want it. i was smart about the stickers i put on there, they are easily removed. not that i see it happening anytime soon, but i do have that option if i so choose. Music should be expressive and personal and i think so should the instrument i play it on. i have both my arms sleaved with tats.....does that make me trashy and cheap. its personal. no harm in keeping it that way.

10. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Trashy is subjective. If you like it, do it, being aware that others may not. And their opinion doesn't matter, unless you try and sell the bass to them.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Depends on the bass and the sticker. I like to think I'd never sticker a vintage bass, but you never know.

I've had a few basses with stickers that looked great, other times it looked trashy.

Currently, the only thing I have with a sticker is my Strat... there was a nick on the forearm cutout that bothered my arm when I played, so an Indian Larry tribute sticker went over it. Much smoother, and gave the guitar a name (Larry). Get many compliments on it when it does make it outside the house.

12. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Not my thing, but it's your bass. If you want to sticker it then go for it.

13. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Well, if you are heading to your gig at Carnegie hall in a BMW with a bumper sticker on the back that says "Honk if you're horny!" Then I think it's totally appropriate for you.

14. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    Not my thing, but I often like seeing stickers on others basses.

I wouldn't put a bumper sticker on a show car, either. Well, maybe a peace sign on a mini bus!

15. Catbuster

Catbuster

Aug 25, 2010
    PA/NY/MA/KY
    Not my thing, but as Pete Townshend once said "It's my f-ing guitar, I'll do whatever the f- I want with it."

I abide by that rule, and I don't really care.

16. If it's a beater, go nuts. My aesthetic re stickers in general: Either none, just one or a ton.

17. Massively anti-sticker here. Definitely looks tacky and juvenile to me. I normally associate stickers on an instrument to "I just play this because it makes me look cool". Not generalising but it just happens every person I've seen who plasters their guitar/bass with band or brand stickers just happens to fall under that category.

18. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    On some beaters, the stickers are all that's holding it together.

19. I've started putting some stickers on a cheaper OLP bass I have. I really like the look and will probably be adding more as time goes on.

20. I fall into the "works for some basses, not for others" camp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made all the stickers myself, just for kicks.

21. I love stickers on other people's basses. It makes my basses more valuable.