Do you dance when you play bass?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by IamGroot, Apr 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    At last nights jam session, I had really excellent players and new Rotosounds 66s on my Thunderbird and the spirit of Flea and Billy Sheehan did rest upon me heavily and made me funky and mobile. Afterwards, I dragged my aged sweat drenched body to the bar where several lovely ladies came up and said they loved the way I danced while I played bass.

So, just wondering...do you move around a lot, or stand still like a zombie when you play.

Heffy, Mr_Moo, retslock and 22 others like this.
  2. Pug the Pig

Pug the Pig Inactive

Mar 21, 2018
    London
    Nooooo!

Joonbug, twocargar and gebass6 like this.
  3. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    Absolutely not. No choreographed moves by me.....then I saw a video of my last two gigs.
    Whadya know, I may not be "dancing" but I'm rocking, moving and occasionally jump all night.

Bobro, Mr_Moo, Miles_ONeal and 6 others like this.
  4. I don't dance but I can't help moving a little.

5. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Yep. I used to move more when I was younger but I still try to move when moved to do so :)

Bobro, RenoDave, Reddic and 3 others like this.
  6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Badly.

zontar, Kokoman, Mr_Moo and 24 others like this.
  7. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    sometimes i move, sometimes i dance, sometimes i also throw in a few cheesy stage moves like playing over/under or "shooting" audience members with my bass.

Mr_Moo, BEADG63, JRA and 12 others like this.
  8. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I am moved in ways I cant explain, it just happens

9. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I realize I'm standing stalk still, or bobbing my head like Pino, so I run around like an idiot for a minute, then go back to my Bill Wyman pose. Sometimes I dance, but it's to a different drummer than everyone else hears, so the general concensus is 'Is there something wrong with her?'

jon mccumber, Bobro, Giffro and 24 others like this.
  10. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    When I played trombone in a brass section, a certain amount of jigging about was expected.

But you say you got compliments from the ladies for your bass dancing? I'll have to look into it.

JRA, I Can't Dance and dreamadream99 like this.
  11. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    I move about a bit but nothing I have ever done could be truthfully described as dancing, with or without a bass.

12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I move quite a bit. Not sure if I would call it dancing, but I move.

13. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I can’t even dance when I’m dancing! ;-)

It’s power pose all the way for me....

14. I do whatever I feel like when I'm playing hahaha

Dancing, running, jumping, head banging, standing, etc

My whole band is extremely energetic.

15. Stewie

Stewie

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    Playing upright, I have a built in dance partner. It's nearly impossible to be still. I have to use a wireless or I'd rip out the cord really quick. With my Fenders, I just rock back and forth and waggle my head some.

Bobro, Mr_Moo, slappin sammy and 8 others like this.
  16. Helix

Helix California U.S.A.

May 29, 2015
    If I'm not moving and grooving, then that means I'm bored......I really try to avoid playing boring music

dmitchell, Bobro, retslock and 17 others like this.
  17. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    Only the time I stood on a live wire:D Actually I have a hard time standing in one spot, pretty much just walk around

Bobro and SpyderX like this.
  18. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    I rock out :bassist:

19. Pops OB

Pops OB

Nov 4, 2016
    Dance, no. Not even without my bass. I move, and keep time with the music.

It’s a well known fact that bassists don’t dance because they can’t dance.

On the other hand there are bassists who say they dance both with and without their basses. They can’t dance either.

Bobro, mlescobar, IbaChiba4 and 14 others like this.
  20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    I move to the song. I wouldn't call it dancing. Most stages I've been on there wasn't enough room to do the Flea thing even if you wanted to. But my whole body responds once the band gets cooking. My SO likes the way I look on stage, so it's all good AFAIC. That's the only opinion I really care about when it comes to that. :laugh:

What Ida Neilsen is doing at the beginning of this video is about the sort of moving thing I do, except without her dress, legs, and looks. My lady calls it "The Bass Bop." She also says most bass players get that same little smile when they get cranking.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018