1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you own a famous person's old bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LCMBassist, Oct 14, 2008.

1. http://www.joesnyder.biz/images/640DroolCat.jpg

I usually like a maple neck with black, but that is sooooo nice.

2. WordToHerb

WordToHerb

Mar 12, 2007
    New Jersey
    I believe my Pre Gibson Tobias was originally owned by Bobby Sheehan from Blues Traveler although I am still trying to get physical proof incase I ever have to sell the bass.

3. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    MA - RT. 2
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY / GENZLER / DARKGLASS / KEELEY / TEMPLEBOARDS / KIRLIN CABLE
    Echo Beach Far Away In Time! Ahhhh, the 80's! :D

I own Matt Malley's (Counting Crows) Sadowsky Standard 4.

malley.jpg

DSC00500-1.jpg

4. They were looking for a bassist, a while ago...

5. bassninja7

bassninja7

Mar 1, 2008
    Napoleon, OH
    http://www.myspace.com/publicface
    lol interesting;)

6. bassninja7

bassninja7

Mar 1, 2008
    Napoleon, OH
    http://www.myspace.com/publicface
  7. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    he's referring to the bass that he quoted...

8. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Commercial User

Mar 7, 2008
    NE United States
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (10/14/09 - 12/16/19)
    I just bought a Fodera Monarch 4-string that was owned and played by Richard Bona in the 1997 time period (before he got his 5-string that he currently plays).

9. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
  10. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Yep, heard on the EJ album "Too Low For Zero", its hit single "I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues", and used on tour during the 80s.
    deebass2.jpg
    deebasscoa.jpg
    deebassbatt.jpg
    It's "shrine":
    leftieskeith009-3.jpg

11. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    my 1969 dan armstrong was used on several occasions by rick price [georgia satellites].

i do own one of his 1969 ampeg svt heads that he used on all the records and went around the world a bunch with.

i traded him a 500/1 hofner beatle bass for it!!!

12. BassmanAd

BassmanAd

Mar 19, 2008
    UK
    I didn't own it but on a session I once played a salmon pink '62 P-bass that had previously been owned by Andy Rourke of the Smiths. He'd sold it to the producer for a pitifully low sum of money to buy junk. Very sad.

The same producer also owned a late 70's P-bass previously owned by Mark Bedford from Madness. It was actually a nicer bass to play than Rourke's...

13. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    Not a bass, but I do own Dave Wakeling from the English Beat's Jaydee Phantom teardrop guitar, converted to a lefty but still strung righty. This guitar appeared on most of the classic English Beat tracks.

14. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    [​IMG]

I owned SmallEquestrian's Bongo once.

15. Musicians are often refered to as "cats", no?

Well, I actually am a cat, and I can't help but drool over gear from time to time :)

16. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    heck yeah, Ultravox mkII were great when they had Midge!

17. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    I don't own it, but there's a guy in LA selling a Yamaha BB-2000 originally owned by Howie Epstein (R.I.P. -- bassist of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers)... the asking price is a bit too high, but it's in mint condition... and I find myself spiritually drawn to it. Plus it's awful purty...

[​IMG]

18. markorbit

markorbit

Apr 16, 2004
    I bought a 1974 Rick 4001 from Paul Gray (great player - Damned, Hot Rods, UFO). He said he used that one quite a bit in the studio from late 70s onwards.

He'd removed the ashtray though which I thought was most uncharacteristic... every time I've seen him with a Rick he'd left it on. He moved to Thunderbirds in the 80s so it was probably awkward after that to go back which is a shame as i think he's one of the best examples of chuggy Rickenbacker bass playing.

19. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Yes, that was my point. (Except the "famous" instruments are older.) They have no magic attached to them. They are just pieces of wood.

I wish everyone would stop worshiping rock stars.

20. LCMBassist

LCMBassist

Sep 27, 2008
    England
    I'm not trying to make anyone worship anyone. I'm just wondering if anyone has any pieces of musical history on this board....