1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you own a famous person's old bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LCMBassist, Oct 14, 2008.

1. LCMBassist

LCMBassist

Sep 27, 2008
    England
    So I was sat looking at my 80s Spector...and it occured to me I have NO idea who it has been used by. It could have been owned by anyone between 1986 and me obtaning it in 2004. So I was wondering, does anyone here own any famous basses?

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I have Wayne Jone's old Hotwire (he's an Aussie artist and made the Wanye Jones speakers).

Mike TObias and Roger Sadowsky owned some of my basses at one point! :D

3. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I used to own James Book's custom shop P-bass. He was the bassist for The Flys, which was a somewhat famous band (in some circles) during the mid/late 90s.

4. I'll have an interesting story in a couple of days...

5. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    I think someone here owns Dee Murrays old bass. I think it may be a Steinberger but I can't quit remember.

6. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

My 1974 P bass was owned by the bassist of Martha and the Muffins (Echo Beach, anyone?) for decades.

The only reason why I am excited about this is that my bass is in almost every band pic so it is easy to prove it is original, etc.

7. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    What's the point? The bass has somehow soaked up the "famous" person's talent and mojo, and will pass that along to you? I don't think so.

(Echo Beach, anyone?)
    Excellent song!

8. SloworNotAtAll

SloworNotAtAll

Apr 15, 2007
    I've got a 74 mocha P bass that has a cream Dimarzio pick up
    And I recently saw a picture of Joan Jett and her bassist playing back in the day and he was playing the exact bass with similar wear.

Who knows.

That'd be rad haha.

9. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

I know a fellow named Lorne who has a B.C. Rich once owned by Phil Lynott

10. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I used to own a '79 Music Man Cutlass that belonged to Cliff Williams (AC/DC). It was bad, and all black!!

It was just one of the many basses I sold during my divorce :bawl:

photo1_0185f.

11. Wow, no need to be a kill joy man. Some interesting stories can come from stuff like this. Not to mention an instrument can be a piece of history as well.

12. toytech

toytech

Mar 22, 2004
    San Leandro
    I had a fretless modulus that was previously owned by Stu Hamm.

13. I got a rickenbacker 4001 not owned.. but played several times (almost every tour in mexico for the last 10 years) for "Marciano Cantero"
    from "Enanitos Verdes"

14. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

So Clapton's "Blackie" that sold for almost $1MM is the same as any $1000 USA Strat out there? Jaco's bass is the same as my wannabe relic? I don't think so.

THE POINT in my case is that I have a 34 year old bass that I can track from almost it's manufacture date that it is 100% original. That is all I care about.

I have PLAYED a few basses that were owned by famous bassists (a Geddy Lee Wal and one of his '70's Jazz come to mind) and they are just basses. OWNING one can be kinda cool.

15. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I own one of Randy Coven's Foderas, a Mike Porcaro (TOTO) owned Empathy, one of Lee Sklar's Dingwalls, Mike Brignardello's (Giant) Dingwall and Ken Lawrence's original and personal Brase (let alone our own Tom Bowlus Prima etc etc). Do they suffice?

If .00000000000001% of their talent was transferred to me through their basses, I would not be spending time here but I'd be filling huge arenas!!!

16. not bass, but bass whammy... i owned mark white's(spin doctors) bass whammy for a while

17. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    I've posted this before (ad nauseum :rollno::D), but my '86 Spector NS-2 (which I bought for $300 off of craigslist!) was owned by Kenny Aaronson (Bob Dylan, Billy Idol, Joan Jett, etc.).

In fact, you can see the bass here:

18. ezsye

ezsye

Sep 24, 2008
    chesapeake,va.
    my 56 fender p-bass was originally owned by Don Quisinberry of Bill Deal and the Rhondels. (60's beach music band from Va. Beach Va...."I've been hurt" , "May I")

19. cmewhinney

cmewhinney

Jul 11, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Not so in my experience. I was able to play Michael Manring's main fretless bass, Junior, for about 15 minutes this weekend and it was the nicest bass I've ever played. I have a similar bass on order and if it is 3/4 as nice as Michael's I will be absolutely thrilled.

20. lambro

lambro

Jun 1, 2004
    I have a fretless Wal bass that was made in 2000 for Midge Ure, a singer, becasue he wanted to get as close to Mick Karn's sound as possible, Midge and Mick had collaborated in the past...turned out Midge wasnt much of a player

it also happened to be one of the very few Wals witha Mrk II body and Mrk III neck joint, probably the best overall design they ever did.

not really vintage but a good story none the less