1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you own a famous person's old bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LCMBassist, Oct 14, 2008.

1. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    This really ugly player who can't play a walking bass line to save his life use to won my bass...oh wait he still does :(

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    :scowl:

3. I've got a Wal MK1 that was owned by Howie Epstein (Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, etc.):

569386672_a8663848e6_o.

And a James Trussart Steelcaster that was owned by Cliff Williams of AC/DC:

2926244727_a8d0b649f6.

2927098042_8d81d8f6f7.

Lotsa mojo with both of them! Not to mention that they both sound and play amazing.

4. nellie48

nellie48

Mar 12, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Layne Staley of Alice in Chains and Mike McCreedy of Pearl Jam formed a side project band called Madseason. They employed an unknown bass player named "Baker". They recorded one album "Above" and played a few shows. Years later Baker OD'd on Heroin and died. I bought it off Ebay. It is a 1972 Fender Jazz. I love it.

DSC01093.

5. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    love the pinup and river of deceit is a killer tune wonder if it was recorded with that bass..

6. BassOverflow

BassOverflow

Jul 12, 2007
    Western NC
    I've got an old stand up that was Eddie Arnold's. My uncle's neighbor (who purchased it from Eddie) had it sitting in a bathtub for years. I was visiting and noticed it and asked about. Well, I got it for Christmas the next year!! It is being restored right now (almost 3 years in). I can't wait to have it back.

7. I have Hamer B12S, whose previous owner was Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top).

8. davec

davec Supporting Member Commercial User

May 4, 2006
    bartlett illinois
    Owner; Cody Electric Basses
    alright Ill feed the troll

who should musicians admire? if not other musicians???

9. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    No one is admiring musicians LOL were admiring there basses :)

10. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    My 1988 Sadowsky Standard.....Owned by Steve W. Rabe, founder of SWR Engineering. You can see the "SWR" on the headstock. This bass was used in the SWR ads in the early 90's.

sadowsky_700.

11. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    I've got Lee Sklar's old bridge screws holding down the tailpiece on my Hamer Chaparral 12-string....

12. Bflat

Bflat

Feb 5, 2008
    For what it is worth, I have a few 51 pbasses owned by Larry Taylor of Canned Heat, Mabron Mckinney of early Allman Brothers, and Don Lace of Lace pickups.

13. Would love to see pix of those!

14. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Speaking of Lee Sklar, I used to own his Epiphone El Capitan AEB. Traded it at a vintage guitar show about 5 years ago. Ironically, the bass did not make me play like Lee Sklar - much to my disappointment.

15. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I have an Alembic Series I that I bought from Stanley Clarke.

Kind of a cool story behind it, too.

Sometime in 1991 or '92 I was driving past the Fox Theatre in Detroit and heard on the radio that tickets for a Stanley Clarke / George Duke concert were going to go on sale at 10 am. It was about 9:45, so I parked and got in line. Got 2nd row seats.

My date (who has since become my wife :hyper: ) and I were in our 2nd row seats and the 1st row was empty. Stanley stood on the seats right in front of us and totally went off on a solo. I noticed then that the bass he was playing was different than the Small Body Series I bass he usually played.

Fast forward to May of 2000. Stanley's divorce was being finalized, so he was selling off all his gear. I wound up buying the bass he played that night!

Here it is........

Stanley holding the bass for a promo shot

Peace,

James

16. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    I love how Bflat kicks all our collections' asses and has absolutely zero pretentiousness about it.

Not a bass, but my dad has a blonde '67 Tele supposedly owned by Robbie Robertson of The Band. He got it for $150 in the 80s because the bridge pickup was dead and it was from a friend who really needed some original Jaguar pickups, which he had from a Jaguar that he owned (and hated) in the 70s. He took out the neck pickup and put in two new EMGs because they were noiseless, Steve Lukather played them, and it was the 80s. He also owns a 60s Danelectro amp that was one of the house amps at Studio One in Jamaica.

17. I purchased my main bass, a Burns Barracuda (short-scale six-string), on eBay from Mike Score, the singer of A Flock of Seagulls. It was strung as a baritone (A to A) when I got it. I threw a set of Fender Bass VI strings on there and have bee nin love with it ever since.

71_.

18. WOW! Is that this one?

19. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    despite the minor presence of some trolls, I gotta say... this is one of the most interesting threads I've seen in a while!

20. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    i would have loved to have been able to afford any bass in the john entwistle auction several years ago. oh well.

even though i have access to them, i would love to own one of rick prices dan armstrongs.

except for my 1969, i would sell the other 4 just to make that happen. :bawl: