1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do you set it and forget it at gigs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mrmatt1972, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Set it, 99.99% of the time by leaving the EQs alone and tweak my tone on the fly with my technique.

2. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    usually, yes.

3. ShirazBop

ShirazBop Gold Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    Set and forget...

4. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Amp - set and forget. I bounce between neck and bridge pickups for different sounds. Technique also comes into play.

Giffro likes this.
  5. Waytootrue

Waytootrue

Jan 19, 2018
    Denver
    Sooner or later its inevitable that I will find a sound that fits perfectly with my style of playing at the time.

I don't think anyone wants to see the bassist fiddle with dials during a set live. If I did want to adjust on stage, I'd use an EQ stompbox.

6. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    80% of the time no. 90% if we don't count adjusting volume when the room gets fuller. It takes 2 or 3 tunes before I figure it out for the room. After that I dont touch it.

7. Blaze Barlow

Blaze Barlow

Mar 8, 2018
    Nashville
    I am using an external rack mounted preamp before my ampeg head..I have mine set up where I like it at the preamp & amp..rarely make any changes except sometimes a little more low end on the deep blues and the slow ballads..I have a Lexicon effects processor in my rack..I can really get a lot of stuff from it if I feel like I want to go for it..the Lex does it all..a little flange like Les Paul did in the late 40's..a little phasing here and there..even light plate reverb..also symphonic bass..gates and compressors are available..and fatness and thickening of all kinds all over the place..every kind of modulation is available..with so many parameters..the rack mounted Lex is so flexible..lots of players just dont know all the things that it can do because they have never used one..or learned to use one of these units..it replaces every stomp box and much more..so..you just find the sounds you like while rehersing at home..store the program..and recall with the push of a button on the unit or a footswitch..

8. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    My amp stays static once eq'd for the room. If I need versatility, I change the way I attack the strings with my hands (playing style), and occasionally change pickup selections.

Wisebass likes this.
  9. Charlzm

Charlzm Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I never touch the controls on my basses except to check that tone is neutral (no boost/cut) and volume is full.
    I don't touch the controls on my amp because they're set the way I like them.
    I do have a multi-FX unit with a bunch of presets that I switch between from one song to the next, however...
    ...but none of those has changes in volume or EQ.
    If there is a sound guy, I send him my post-EQ signal DI from the amp. If not, well... I don't.

10. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Yep. Tweak in the beginning and then forget it's there.

As the night goes on,I find I'm sometimes giving it another goose (probably because I'm going a little dear at that point) but for the most part, set and forget, for sure.

This is partly why I'm often thinking about an entirely pedalboard solution. Since I so rarely fuss with the amp controls, why not just take advantage of the full range PA, and save myself the trouble?

11. Manticore

Manticore

Feb 27, 2016
    SoCal
    I'm in the set and forget forget camp. I usually play an Alembic live. With an Alembic, virtually any tone I need can be dialed in from my bass.

12. 4 Strings Good

4 Strings Good

Mar 6, 2014
    +1 for set and forget.

13. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Same...maybe I’m lucky but I dial my rig the same regardless of venue and get exactly what I’m looking for. The one thing I mess with a little during the first set is volume; where I want to sit in the mix will vary based on PA support; if there is no PA support I make sure I am present in the mix. If there is PA support, I keep my volume on check so that the sound engineer can dial me in properly without stepping on his toes.

14. Rumbledore

Rumbledore Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2018
    So. Cal

15. BoogieZK

BoogieZK

Sep 28, 2008
    Toulouse, France
    I'm just using the EQ to make my tone fit the room, so i tweek it every time i jump on stage.

16. Seldom touch anything unless I am in one of "those" rooms then I twiddle a bit.

17. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    After setting my rig for the room I very rarely touch it, except to make adjustments for changes in the acoustic environment, for example when a small room fills up with people later in the evening.

18. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    The signal I send to IEM is from the output transformer of my amp.
    That signal is split for FOH.
    If I touch my amp, all the mixes will be off.

19. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    I know what my live gigging tone sounds like in my bedroom so I dial that tone in with each of my basses and snap a pic of the settings.

I gig either a Fender Super Bassman or a GB SM 9.2. I prepare the week of the gig by testing my gear of choice for that weekends gig.

I rarely if ever have to adjust anything but the volume knob on either one of those amps at any venue I play.

I guess I am lucky.

20. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Mrmatt1972 :)

Fiddling with controls, noodling, tuning without muting, changing sounds, changing instruments,

changing batteriess or changing strings :D, between songs…

...will only be accepted and seen as normal, when you are a guitarist! :laugh:

Whatever you want to do, do it at the soundcheck!

Nobody will give you the time to change anything, once you started playing!

Because you are a bassplayer! ;)

exactly! :D

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

redwingxix likes this.