1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do you set it and forget it at gigs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mrmatt1972, Jun 13, 2018.

1. I buy my amps in part because of their versatility and I love playing around with gain and eq at home, but find that I get my sound at a venue and never look back again. I rarely even touch my bass controls on some gigs! How about you?

2. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    Mostly never
    I don’t let anyone use my gear, so a tweak maybe but mostly plug in and go.
    We have PA support so it’s mostly stage sound anyway
    Duke

Al Kraft likes this.
  3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    My main band's current set has two songs where I need a drastically different sound. I can do one of them with amp EQ or onboard EQ but I can't switch back and forth fast enough for the other one. So now I use an EQ pedal just for those two songs. Other than that no knob setting changes all night, bass or amp.

I play electric upright in my second band. Same knob settings all night.

Al Kraft likes this.
  4. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    Once I'm set I'm set for the most part. Maybe one or two tweaks during the first number.

5. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I buy the gear that fits together and makes the right sound for me without much fiddling.

I'll alter the volume for each band but my sound stays pretty much the same.

6. I more or less won't touch it unless I hear something drastically off. I find I can get any sort of sound I want through plucking hand dynamics.

I prefer to set and forget knobs on the bass and amp.

4dog, maxl and bassfran like this.
  7. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i set my sound for the room and forget it.

i can only remember changing amp settings during a gig once, and i was actually playing guitar at that show.

8. gotly

gotly

Jun 28, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    I set and forget the amp.
    I tweak my Jazz Bass pickup blending tons during a set depending on which song we're playing.
    I have a Sansamp Bass Fly Rig pedal and can do quick tweaks to the pedal EQ if needed, but it's rare.
    If I need a different tone I can usually get there with my fingers or by turning down the bridge/neck pickups.

I play in a Cover Band that covers everything from Beatles to newer songs from the past 2-3 years. Versatility is important. Stage presence is important. Can't hype up the crowd if I'm back at my amp tweaking knobs.

TrevorG and martisanma like this.
  9. Set it, make an adjustment or two during the first song or two, and leave it alone for the rest of the night.

Al Kraft and Buzz E like this.
  10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Except for effects seldom touch anything

Al Kraft likes this.
  11. Rumbledore

Rumbledore

Jun 2, 2018
    This issue has been addressed, subsequently resulting in the design and existence of foot pedals, since Bible times

12. I never mess with settings during the set. If we have a decent soundcheck I might make a tweak or Two during soundcheck which honestly is most often just a volume level adjustment. I think it’s a bad idea to be messing with the eq or gain mid set. That’s a good way to tick off soundguys and get turned down in the PA.

13. Flabass

Flabass

Aug 11, 2008
    St. Petersburg
    My amp is set and that's it for the gig. Any changes come from my bass and fingers.

14. monkeyland

monkeyland Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Ft Myers, Florida
    Endorsing artist: JH Audio, Curt Mangan Strings
    Yes. Any adjustments that need to be made per song get done on the bass(sadowsky metro) which I setup to be clear and clean by default.

More mids=roll the pickup blend off center.
    Thump= Tone control down half way. Bass control up a bit.
    P bass sound= same as thump with blend favoring the neck pickup

Hounddog, HolmeBass and BLYN like this.
  15. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I'm in the set and forget group.
    I sound check for the room, do minimal tweaks (if any, its usually mid adjustments and HPF settings).
    I have a few pedals that change my tone .. key one is the Tech21 VTD, but those presets are all gain matched and they just give me different tone and dirt options.

I hate messing with my gear on a gig. It really takes away from the experience for me.

Frankjohnson likes this.
  16. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    I don't touch my pedalboard and all settings are the same except for the MXR preamp gain which is the first gain stage that allows me to compensate for the volume differences in between different basses.

The knobs on the amps do get adjusted. Some rooms are boomy so I turn down the bass freqs. etc.

17. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    I will dial in whatever I need in the first song or two. After that I will tweak the 3 bang on my bass for specifics ( treble boost for slap, mid bump for something that needs a "punk" sound etc...)

18. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Generally I get it dialed in and leave it. Bigger shows I leave any tweaking to the sound guy. With smaller shows, and we are running sound from the stage, I have a couple of tunes where I roll off the tone a little.

saabfender and howlin like this.
  19. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    dial it in for the room, then fergit it

crossthestyx and howlin like this.
  20. Unless I am really hating my sound, I leave it be. I can put up with a less than perfect sound for the sake of the show. No one wants to watch me fiddle with my amp all night. We’re into the next song before I have a chance anyway.

Abe-of-Bass, ga_edwards and Wisebass like this.