1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you still have your first bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Iroquoi, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Iroquoi

Iroquoi

Sep 18, 2008
    I'm thinking about selling my first bass guitar, that sounds crappy but i think it has a emotional value to me, i'm not decided and afraid that if i sell it i'm gonna regret later...
    Do you still have your first bass?
    If not do you regret selling it?
    I want to know your experiences and try to figure out myself if i should or should not sell my bass guitar.

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I sold my first bass after three years of owning it. I didn't regret it at first because my ignorance made me think it was a crappy instrument, but it just needed a good setup. When I got to know a bit more about basses I realized the kind of instrument I had and I deeply regretted selling it. That's why I did this and I'm very happy now. :)

3. Sbociol

Sbociol

Feb 24, 2009
    I had an Ibanez SR300DX....I sold it after about an year to purchase my first Warwick...I never regretted that :D

4. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I do...I tried selling it long ago when I was having some problems. I'm glad no one offered me what I thought it was worth. I defretted it and it's my only fretless so it's easy to justify keeping now.

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    My first bass was a 1980something T-40. Natural Swamp Ash body, with a Black pickguard, maple board......:bawl:

No, I don't regret selling it so I could buy a pointy BC Rich Warlock...... That's what I tell myself anyway......

6. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I still have mine. I don't think I'll ever get rid of it even if it is a hunk of junk.

7. Tommy Preston

Tommy Preston

Apr 7, 2008
    I lost my first one in a family move.It was a Musicman..1971 or 72.Have regretted not having it.

8. MtJam

MtJam Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Maryland
    No, unfortunately I don't. It was a 70s Gibson EB0. I foolishly traded it for an Epiphone SG (I know, I know! They didn't even include the case; I had to buy it). Dumbest trade ever--that was almost 20 years ago. Ironically, a friend later bought it from the store where I traded it and showed it to me a few years later. A short time later, he offered to sell it back to me, but I wasn't interested at the time!

Then...a few years ago, I wanted to get a, you guessed it...Gibson EB0. I settled on a '69 (same age as me) from Gruhn's. Pretty decent bass, but maybe not as good as I remember my first bass being (maybe it's nostalgia).

I do have my second bass--a MIJ Fender P '62 reissue. That one's not going anywhere. It's featherweight, and I've done many gigs with it. That's my story! Wish I had kept that first Gibby!

9. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

:confused: As far as I understand, the first MM bass was released in 1976.

10. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    No, still have it, too much sentimental value/actually not worth selling to get rid.

So, instead I hotrodded it to hell, added a string, bass trem, second pickup, etc.

11. adrhouston

adrhouston

Jan 14, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Not only do I still have it, but I mostly still play on my beloved old Kingston viola hollowbody.

12. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    Mine was a 75P, got it new in 76. I sold it in '82, and didn't regret it.... for a while. Eventually I REALLY regretted it.
    Wound up buying it back 15 years after selling. I have better Ps, but none of them are my first!

13. i still have my first bass. A squire p-bass. It's heavy, hard to play, sounds lifeless, and i will never get rid of it. First of all I probably couldn't get much $$ for it, that and I think it looks pretty cool hangin' on my wall. It's like an old trophy you got in elementary school, not worth anything to anyone else but brings back alot of memories.

14. my first real bass was a 1983 yamaha bb300 which i had made fretless around 1987. about 2 years ago i got sick of looking at it and gave it to a young guy that i worked with who played guitar and last thing i heard his father, who used to play bass way back when and he were jamming a bit. i was happy to hear that someone was getting enjoyment out of it as i had for quite a few years and i don't miss it one bit.

15. olistorck

olistorck

Sep 16, 2007
    oviedo,spain
    I got rid of mine. It was terrible. a 1984 Warwick FNA.. some sort of Musicman imitation, weighed a ton, neck like a defensiv back.... sold for a good price and moved up..

16. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Yep!
    Squier P-bass!!!

Picture001-1.

17. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    My 1st - a '58 P bass white was stolen from my car in California January 1971. :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

18. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    Ha, ha, ha
    Hotrodding = adding 1 string?

19. I still have my mapleglo Hondo Rickenbacker copy that I bought used at a music store for $200 back around 1994 or so. I will never get rid of that thing!

20. Perspicuus

Perspicuus

Mar 7, 2009
    Still have my first bass... It's a Samick AB2.

Good feel, and awesome tone. I plan on keeping that bass forever.