1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do you use fEARful?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SplinteredSkull, Oct 8, 2013.

1. There's a lot of buzz on TB about fEARfuls and I'm curious as to how many of us out of the total actually use them. It may just be me, but I feel as though it's about a %40. So I'm genuinely intrigued as to how close I am. And also if you have a fEARful but you use a different cab instead I'd like to know why? Or if you personally tried a fEARful but picked something else instead.

2. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Im sure the number is way less then 40%

3. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS, D-TAR
    I have one, but also use a Sunn 200S when playing in my Grateful Dead cover band. It's just more of that sound, but absolutely everything else gets the fEARful treatment. I've got the parts to update the crossover, so I'm really looking forward to checking out how that sounds.

4. I own and use a 12/6 and a 12 sub. I really like them. They're light, compact, loud, and I love the sound. I don't want anything else, until someday it becomes possible to build something even lighter with the same sonic performance.

With that said, I don't think they have anywhere near a 40% market share among TB members. I'd be surprised if it's as high as 5%. They're expensive and they're not nearly as well known as the major commercial brands, even here on TB.

5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I do not and have no interest to at this time

6. Realistically I know it is; but from the hype it gets/that's spread that's the impression I get

7. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS, D-TAR
    The bummer is that at the beginning they were an inexpensive alternative to commercial cabinets. The fact that the woofer has doubled, and at times almost tripled, due to fluctuating neodymium prices has made it a pricey cabinet. But it's still a great value.

8. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    I use them. I have a 12/6, 15/sub & another 15/sub about 75% done. I will probably build a 15/6 down the road. I really dig the flexibility. 15/subs also make kick-ass PA subs. As far as on TB, I would say under 3% on people who actually own them. As for me, I'm sold on them. I also like to build my own, so that adds to it.:bassist:

9. I told one of my friends that I was going to build a fEARful and he had no idea what I was talking about. So I started telling him about it and then he asked how much it would cost. He then tells me that are tons of great cabs I could get for that or less. However, now that I've looked through the green(boy) colored glasses I'm not really seeing it that way so much anymore. But it does support your point

10. And brands that do use neo drivers generally use their own cheaper in-house speakers to save cost. And I agree; to get a cab that will perform as well as a fEARful and be as neutral will cost you more. Even to buy a fEARful rather than build it is a large price jump.

11. Do you care to share why you have no interest? (BTW I'm not trying to promote fEARful here, I'm just curious as to why others choose something else) Price is a big point. Deals on other cabinets often get me wondering if it's worth it

12. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I didn't vote. I use an LDS 15/6 that's very similar to a fEarful.

13. Why'd you opt for a LDS instead? I have heard that they are similar

14. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

I am happy with my Bergantinos, but to each their own.

15. Ah yes; I did some researching on alternatives to fEARfuls. Those look like nice cabs. I think once you reach that level and price-point of independent and specifically designed cabinets it becomes a matter of tonal preference. But since you have to buy Bergantino's and Barefaced cabs, I am choosing to go with a fEARful

16. I don't like "Hi-Fi" sound for Bass Amplification - so no for me.

17. Helaskold

Helaskold 100% Mediocre

Jul 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I use an LDS 1515/66/1 which is basically a fEARful clone. I went with LDS because HogBranch was selling the enclosure for cheap about 5 minutes from my house. If I was going to buy a brand new one, I'd just go fEARful based on principle.

18. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Nice builder, great cab, good price, happy customer.

19. Guess that's all the reasoning you really need haha :smug:

20. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    My current cabs do everything I want/need, that's it.

This