Doctor's appointment at 4...can't practice at 6!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by 51PRI, Jan 24, 2023.

1. 51PRI

51PRI

Aug 7, 2014
    None
    Bandmate has a doctor's appointment at 4 p.m. but can't practice at 6 p.m. Does that seem right? It's a simple appointment, not anything very serious. I don't want to say what it is but it isn't invasive or anything that he would have to be anesthestized for or anything like that. A simple appointment.

2. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Can you guys setup at the doctor's office?

It was an old stethoscope, it was my first stethoscope.

3. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Lol, here we go again.

Matt-J2, TexasHeat, H K and 35 others like this.
  4. sean_on_bass

sean_on_bass

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    if i got a dr appt, then screw your band practice, lol. but seriously these questions are so trivial and mundane.

5. kevindahl

kevindahl

Aug 21, 2006
    I looked at your profile. It says your 73? Not be insensitive but these threads and questions seem rather "youngish".

Garret Graves, H K, FenderB and 19 others like this.
  6. T Bassman

T Bassman

Dec 13, 2010
    Canada
    Some folks experience a lot of anxiety around medical appointments. Perhaps he just knows himself well enough to know he wont be on his best game mentally or emotionally right after, and would prefer to enjoy his hobby rehearsal rather than be uncomfortable?

BatBasstard, Ekulati, Avigdor and 7 others like this.
  7. 51PRI

51PRI

Aug 7, 2014
    None
    Maybe so. He's been missing rehearsals a LOT. I mean a LOT. I know he has health issues but sometimes it seems he's looking for reasons to miss. Anyway, nevermind.

basseux and Garret Graves like this.
  8. Ronky

Ronky

Jan 12, 2020
    El Centro CA USA
    Does he need a doctor's note to miss practice?

9. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Very much depends what kind of doctor

10. 51PRI

51PRI

Aug 7, 2014
    None
    Thanks for your comments. They are truly helpful.

Spidey2112 and sean_on_bass like this.
  11. Micha84

Micha84

Jul 11, 2021
    Any chance we are talking about a drummer here? Go easy on him, guy might just have a natural disability to figure out time.

But seriously, you seem to be seriously upset about a minor incident to be posting about it online. Is there some context to this?

mexicanyella, g-dude and Phud like this.
  12. Michael Stanley

Michael Stanley Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2020
    Pennsyltucky
    If this band mate is in his 70s, I would say ANY doctor appointment is a "big deal".

13. 51PRI

51PRI

Aug 7, 2014
    None
    As I said in post #7 this person has missed a lot of rehearsals since we've been trying to put this new band together, some health related, some not, some seem like he's just not wanting to practice, like he's looking for some/any reason not to. So, yeah, the context is that he's missed a lot, which I had previously resisted posting about.

As a matter of fact, with tonight's rehearsal cancelled it will be over two months since our last rehearsal. And since we're talking about it, our first rehearsal for this new band was on August 3, 2022 and from then to now we've only rehearsed 7 times out of a potential 26 rehearsal nights. So yeah, we've missed WAY more than we have rehearsed (not all due to this one guy, but most of them were) and we've never had rehearsals two weeks in a row.

But anyway, never mind. I'm sorry I started this thread.

14. InhumanResource

InhumanResource Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Bucks County, PA
    First of all, if it’s not a priority to anyone other than you then you need to leave and find a situation you are happy with.

Secondly…how much does this band actually gig? Do you need to rehearse more than every few weeks or so?

15. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    One of the most ridiculous complaints I’ve ever read about at TB.

ELG60, MynameisMe, Brich and 21 others like this.
  16. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Good luck with that, he might get fired as a patient from the doctor... :D

Marley's Ghost and Micha84 like this.
  17. 51PRI

51PRI

Aug 7, 2014
    None
    This band hasn't gigged at all. We just started last August and have only had 7 rehearals in that time. Not enough to put a set list together.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  18. Five or Six

Five or Six

Jun 21, 2022
    Going to the doctor would be the last thing I'd do (excuse) just to skip band rehearsal. If I have something that may alter plans, I let everyone know the rehearsal before if not earlier. Maybe your "band" hasn't been privy to what he really has going on. It sounds like someone better speak with him, and not by text like so many think is proper. Anybody suggest starting rehearsal an hour later than normal or, changing the day? I hate band meetings but, since his attendance is a problem may be a good idea, face to face!

19. Micha84

Micha84

Jul 11, 2021
    My bad for overreading your post. Actually, I have just been there myself. New band, and the singer/guitarist just kept cancelling rehearsals (sometimes just didn't show up without any notification at all). My advice: Those cancellations may or may not be his fault, but you are not obligated to let yourself be affected by this, either. Talk to him about it, if it stays the same, cut ties rather sooner than later before the band as a whole falls apart.

SoCal80s likes this.
  20. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    You don't have a band. You have a bunch of guys that just want to get together every once in while to play some tunes. Or not.