1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does a VH/Roth reunion without Michael piss you off?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jnprather, Aug 13, 2007.

1. http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/13/vanhalen.reut/index.html

Well, now that it looks to be official. Does it bother you guys a bunch that Michael Anthony wont be involved?

More importantly, i've heard before that Wolfgang is actually hardly a servicable bass player, and unless he has improved, he may manage to trainwreck a few songs. I wonder if anybody knows the truth about that.

One quote I found interesting: "Roth heaped praise on the band's newest member, claiming Wolfgang picked the songs the band will perform, and "brings a young energy and a spirit to this that'll knock you out of your socks.""... What are the odds that means "we had him pick out the songs he could actually play"?

That being said, as much as a I dig Michael Anthony, a Van Halen set would be a pretty fakeable set for a less-than-stellar bass player. But, still, it would be a shame if Eddie's son is up there sucking it up the whole time...

2. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Have you heard Roth singing lately?
    Oy. I'd only go for the guitar playing...hearing two hours of Roth right now would be brutal.

3. war_n_peace

war_n_peace

Aug 9, 2006
    USA
  4. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    No, but it doesn't make me want to go see them either. I saw them a few times in their prime, and once on the way down when DLR was drunk and forgetting the words. I don't care to see what they are now. It can't be pretty.

5. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    The backing vocals are essential to the Van Halen sound. How do you replace Michael Anthony? As a long time fan of the Roth-era VH, yes, I'm pissed.

6. Killibinizik

Killibinizik

Aug 17, 2006
    Considering Eddie has been on a downward spiral since the 90's, DLR is a shadow of his former self, and that they gave their most underrated member the shaft I don't expect much from this "reunion."

7. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    His bass lines are perfect for the band's sound and his vocals are a major component of the original VH sound. It would have been really cool of the band to bring him back in.

Even if Wolfgang turns out to be a phenomenal bass player, I don't know that he can do the vocals the way Michael Anthony would (hopefully would, anyway, not sure if his voice has held up).

That being said, I'll still probably go if they come through my area.

8. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.

Looks like a bass version of Eddie's famed red stripes guitar. They're stupidly expensive to buy these days, and built by Charvel. There's no bass version on the site, so Wolfie's axe must be a custom job.

http://www.evh-guitars.com/

FWIW, a VH reunion without Michael Anthony isn't a legit reunion in my eyes. He was a bigger part of the band's sound than a lot of people realize. An adolescent boy might be able to cover the bass parts, but not Mike's BG vocals.

9. It doesn't worry me at all for the Bass playing, given the fact that even a retarded monkey could play all VH basslines.

But that retarded monkey would NEVER be able to sing those backing vocals... so as a huge fan of roth-era Van Halen... I'm pretty annoyed... and even more seeing that the tour will be only in North America.

10. You want some good VH, go see the Atomic Punks, tribute band here in socal. They're the spitting image of VH in their prime down to the last detail. It's ridiculous.

11. JB Lars

JB Lars Banned

May 24, 2000
    Chicago Suburbs
    In pitch, maybe, but certainly not in power.

My sig gives me away on this. I'm not impressed. It's not that Mike's a virtuoso, it's that Mike's perfect for the band and integral to its sound. On top of that, the guy has been a company man since, what, 1973? He stood by the band through two singer changes, even as his role in the studio was diminishing. And he HAD to've heard the rumblings about replacing him with Billy Sheehan or Jeff Berlin. His good pal Sammy is edged out acrimoniously, and Mike stands firm. He is forced to sign away the last of his corporate ties to the band as a provision of his participation in the 2004 tour, and even has his royalty rate reduced on the pre-1995 material (per the leaked portions of Sammy's book, I don't know that he gets publishing on anything after F.U.C.K.). And he took all this, like a dog that gets beat for no reason, because he loves what he does and appreciates the fans that make it possible. This fan in particular appreciates it back. Until Mike is reinstated, Van Halen gets no more of my money. Zero. That's concert dollars I'll be spending on Sammy and the Wabos this fall instead. I'll pay to see the people who haven't disappeared up their own orifices.

Did anyone notice that MA has been 'shopped out of the cover of the debut album on the VH website? And that Women and Children First has had the cover photo removed entirely? That's the final straw for me. To proceed without Mike is one thing, and that's fine. To attempt to erase him from a long history is unconscionable. Mikey, if by some fluke you lurk here and are reading this, write a book. Do it. Do it. I wanna see Ed and Al go apoplectic with rage.

12. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Very well put JB... you said it all.

13. Bluesdog

Bluesdog

Apr 24, 2006
    Gold Coast
    After DLR, VH was never quite as good for mine, he just had somthing that when combined with EVH and the band made "THAT" sound, it will be good to see DLR back.

I'd give the boy a go but as many have said it won't be the same , which is a shame.

I just wonder about how much respect Eddie had for MA, because after he's held that group together all these years and then now is gone, he gets his kid as replacement, it's like you never mattered, you could have been anyone, Bass is nothing, and neither were you.

MA would have to feel gutted, that was a lifetime for him.

Just to add, coz JB was posting at the same time, that I agree, Michael , WRITE THE BOOK,

14. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    The disrespect shown Mike Anthony just boggles the mind. As if you could replace him with some egghead kid......It's NOT Van Halen without Mike. Plain and simple. They won't be getting any of my money. No way.:rollno:

15. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    Wow I didn't realize Alex and Eddie such pricks. I mean ya I just noticed the photo shopping, thats so stupid. I won't pay to see them. Mikey was awesome and was perfect for the band I don't know why they always treated him like the weakest link. I like the fact that Sammy Hagar refused to do the 2004 tour without Mike, he's a loyal band member in my book. I'm amazed that Mike has been with the band since 1973 and they just kicked him out. Eddie has a huge ego he probably thinks he was too good for Mike.

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I don't know if it's been said, but I see Michael's vocals to be a huge part of the Van Halen sound, moreso than his bass playing. His backups were a huge part of the sound. Great rock bassist as well.

17. they could pipe in Mike's backing vocals through the PA. karaoke style. ;)

18. Bluesdog

Bluesdog

Apr 24, 2006
    Gold Coast

Carefull, . . . . . . . . . They might hear you :bag: :D :D

19. Bluesdog

Bluesdog

Apr 24, 2006
    Gold Coast

True, that.

May not have genious and innovative originality, but he played exactly what was needed to rock any house back then.

I'd like to add , imagine Status Quo, with a Wootin or Jaco bassist, I think not.:rollno:

20. Terrik

Terrik

Jul 21, 2007
    Alamo

OMG.. you said it perfectly..

i would love to add something, but you covered everything..

F*** "Van Halen"...

cuz it ain't VH w/o Mike..

WE LOVE YOU MAN!!!