1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anybody actually use their fx loop?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by K Dubbs, Mar 21, 2006.

1. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    There are a lot of models of bass heads/preamps out there which have FX loops in them. The vast majority of them aren't foot switchable, don't have level controls, and are not series/parallel selectable. So my questions are:

1. Does anybody actually use their fx loop/s to achieve anything which can't be achieved by front ending fx loops between the bass guitar and the amp's input?

2. Have you ever used your fx loop/s at all?

3. If you have ever used your fx loop/s, do you actually use them at your gigs?

I'm asking these questions because I have never used an fx loop on a bass amp which resulted in better usability of fx units, better tone, etc than if I front ended the fx into the input. I also can't say I know of any bass players other than myself who have either.

2. in the past week i've started to use it to to hook up two amps together. Get the EQ from a smaller less powerful amp pushing the small cab, and into the poweramp for the second more powerful amp pushing larger/bass cab.

3. I do, but I don't run effects very much. I use a Aguilar DB750, so it does have series /paralell with pots for blend. (but not footswitchable)

4. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Never have. I have a pedal board and run it straight into the preamp. I'm tried it to hear a difference and didn't notice a thing. If there is a difference, are you really going to notice it from room to room, stage to stage? Too many cables on stage to go that route for me.

5. Just a thought. Is it more likely that users of rackmounted heads will have a seperate eq or compressor in the rack and as a result us the fx loop.

6. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    You may be on to something here. We'll see how it plays out.

7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    An effects loop is the last thing I look for in a head. I'm not even using a head at this time. Right into the power amp for me.

8. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    1) Yes, I use an RBI and I want its sound to go to the compressor and parametric EQ (that's why I can't put them prior to the RBI in the chain) and also keep controlling master volume from the RBI (and that's why I can't put them after the RBI in the chain). I use my bass to a Boss ME-8B multieffects that I use for effects but also for giving a hotter or colder signal (depending on what I want) for driving the RBI's input.

2) Yes, as described...

3) Yes, as described...

ANDRUCA

9. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I use my fx loop not for effects but for a post pre power amp input for like drum machines or things like that.

10. i use the fx loops for a compressor. that's where it should be going in the signal chain

11. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    my BBE runs through my effects loop

12. I haven't gigged with it, but at he moment I use one of the effects loops on my Peavey MkIV as a tuner out.

13. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    All four of my rack delays sound markedly better (ie quieter) in a loop post-preamp. Same for my compressor. I also use both the sends and returns for various other stuff.

2. Have you ever used your fx loop/s at all?

Absolutely! The series ones are a lot less useful, but a Mackie 1202VLZ works wonders if that's what I'm stuck with. For me the Mackie makes the most sense most of the time anyway, since I need the mixing capabilities for my guitar/guitar synth rig anyway, and it gives me at least 3 available loops for the bass, which I also can readily use.

3. If you have ever used your fx loop/s, do you actually use them at your gigs?

Absolutely. And the Mackie's been out on a ton of gigs as well. I've never found running EFX before the front end to work at all well for my purposes, save for distortion effects..

As far as footswitching, that's what MIDI's for in my world.;) But it's been a while since I've done any gigs with the band in question. I expect to go to a 20 channel board for EFX mixing when I start it up again.

14. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I tried to work my Line6 Podxt Live through there but it was way too much of a hassle and it didnt sound or function the way I wanted it to.

As of now, nope... And no Line 6 pedal either

15. CetiAlphaVI

CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    Midwest
    I currently run a Boss SE-70 in the effects loop of my rackmounted Eden and my H & K combo. With a midi FS the ability to "bypass" the processing of the SE-70 is as simple as one stomp. I don't use much in the way of effects, just some chorus/flange, eq's. . . . which to my ears sound better / have more predictable results after the preamp. Occasionally something really off the wall for a song intro or bridge.

16. Yes. I've been using the FX loop in my BMax for several months
    now with a Lexicon Alex unit. It's rack mounted right above
    my preamp. I use a "very small amount" of delay, and just
    leave it on all the time, no need for a footswitch.

I'm pleased with the results so far. None of the guys in my
    band have complained about my sound since I started using
    it out on gigs.

17. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Probably stating the obvious, but if you use it there, just make sure it's before something like a delay effect that's also in the loop.

18. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I gigged with a rbi/swr bass750, that had a much thicker-compressed sound, when going through the fx loop. When you loop, "the input signal" your fx device is receving, has already been through your (amps) preamp stage. This signal is much hotter, and you may need to trim the input level,(probably need to change all settings) on your fx device. This can really change the way some fx units sound. Some fx dont like fx loops. I say try both, and see what works best.

19. Antonius

Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    NL
    Full parametric eq and tuner in the fx loop for me. The box that I use for tuner also houses compressor and some other effects, but I rarely use those. The fx loop is the optimal place in the signal chain for what I'm using afaik.

20. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I use the FX loop on my pre for my Zoom 506 II. Soon I'll also have a dedicated comp/lim in the loop.