Does anyone have "the one", yet you keep searching?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Apr 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Booger Guy Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Let me qualify "the one" by defining it as a bass that meets your needs and preferences so well, that finding another that fits you as well is very statistically improbable.

So who has this instrument.....loves it to pieces....yet still snoops around for something new?

If you're a "need a bag of golf clubs" person, i.e. different tools for different situations, clearly this won't apply to you. But if you're a hobbyist that is really happiest playing said "one", I'd be interested to know whether you still search.

EDIT: If you have a "one", then please tell us what it is! :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    mark roberts, sludgetail and grrg63 like this.
  2. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Constantly.

B-Lo likes this.
  3. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Sweet. What is it?

4. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Sorry, yes i am constantly searching for something else, bass hoarding disorder is common.

ELG60, sludgetail and bassballs27 like this.
  5. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Yeah, I gathered. But I was curious what your "one" is.

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Nope. And I wasn't searching when "the new one" showed up unasked either.

7. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    "The one" vs "The harem". Which sounds like more fun?

Templar, Pet Sounds, ELG60 and 5 others like this.
  8. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Uh, I'm not sure I want to hear more about your relationships with your instruments... :)

9. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Yup. The Reverend Mercalli V in my profile pic. It's been my only gigging bass for almost 5 years now and literally covers everything I need for the gigs I play. I've bought and sold a few other basses, and I constantly tell myself to just buy another one as a backup...but that's not as much fun as window shopping others :)

10. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    1998 Squier Jazz with bone nut and MEC active jazz pup's with passive controls. My bury me with it bass.:D

Attached Files:

• 029.JPG
      029.JPG
      File size:
      27.8 KB
      Views:
    JoshS, 4sight, JRA and 1 other person like this.
  11. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    Yes, all i ever wanted was a medium scale P bass and Ive had it for a few years now. I love practically everything about it and if I could only have one, this would be it. But I can have more than one, so why not?

80s MIJ Squier Medium Scale P Bass

Cardsfan_69 and teh-slb like this.
  12. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Heh! In my case, I work with some pretty killer luthiers and trouble comes looking for me. Yel_wink.gif

I had the same bass for 40 years, rarely owning a backup for the first half of that time, and never searching for something better. At about 25 years in my wife egged me on into getting a second one. That became "the one" and I even sold the older one eventually. When a more recent luthier friend told me he was going to build me a new fretless 4 as mostly a gift I was actually somewhat indifferent, mostly because he had no track record of building something like what I would require to usurp "the one." But I knew it would be cool in its own right, and I couldn't gracefully decline his offer, so I pushed my ideas along where I could. A few weeks before the reveal I took "the one" over to my friend's shop and had him play it a bit. He topped it easily as far as I'm concerned. Go figure!

Edit due to your added request in the first post: 40 year bass was a Travis Bean fretless. The next one was this Crescent Moon Bass, their standard model built to my fretless specs. I added Q-Tuner pickups and one of my own preamps quite a few years in:

CMBTCAF4.jpg

The new one is this Marco Bass:

View attachment 3389084

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  13. Rib 13

Rib 13 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Home
    My G&L ASAT that I bought new in 1995 will always be 'the one'.....I still like playing/owning other instruments, tho

lowdownthump likes this.
  14. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

my "the one" is a cheap chinese branded PJ with the best neck. it replaced my 30 y.o. custom build as "the one." it's the ax in my avatar: looks ugly but plays like a dream. i don't have GAS anymore (8-9 years?)...i like looking at other folk's axes, but i don't search for (or lust after) instruments for me. (i did get another of those axes a year or so later = also very nice to play, but it isn't quite like "the one." as far as i can tell: the company no longer makes unlined fretlesses so that helps to extinguish GAS, too.)

what i learned about the one:
    - it's the feel of the thing in your hands (neck and pluck)
    - when you play it = you have no excuses
    - it is better than you, so you have to aspire
    - but it's also like 'coming home' --- it's a comfort when you're tested

when i accepted that my instrument was 'there for me' = no GAS: stop searching: play!

15. BLDavis

BLDavis May the Tort be with you. Gold Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Ellenboro, NC
    My main squeeze is a '08 American Jazz. Plain ole passive 4 string. If I can's get it done on that, then nothing else is gonna make a difference. Still, I own three other basses, just in case. :D

trothwell likes this.
  16. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    All too often "the one" can be obscured or even buried by too many of "the other" to the point it takes years for it to reveal itself.

Bassheart365, CaptainWally and JRA like this.
  17. SaucyJackBass

SaucyJackBass

May 6, 2009
    I have the 4 Birdsongs in the picture yet I have a new build almost done. The SD Curlee (far left) is awesome and ticks every box, yet I ordered another. Yet I bought all of these after I fell in love with an Adamovic Jazz I bought 4+ years ago.

[​IMG] img_9239-jpg.jpg IMG_0710.jpg

bassplayer9512, teh-slb and JRA like this.
  18. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    D3766CAF-2950-4BF9-841B-264D2597A77A.jpeg

This one has me seriously considering selling everything else and getting a 2nd as backup. These new Stingray5 Specials check all of the boxes for me.

Crusher47, scuzzy, Pet Sounds and 9 others like this.
  19. Nebula24

Nebula24

Nov 23, 2017
    Norman, OK
    Love my 2001 epi eb0. Neck feels perfect to me and discovered i love short scales. Play almost daily. Feel bad when i dont. Compared to old ibby long scale that sat barely played once or twice a year for a decade or so after going through a few other long scales.

Not into online ordering as i know i dislike a bass in a few minutes so stuck with local stores or hitting other places when i travel. Like trying all scales if i havent seen the bass.

Tried the mikro, bronco, jr jet, violin (hofner and epi) and mustang. Never seen a jag ss. Probably would have gone with jr jet if had come across one before my eb0 but dont like it more to be worth a trade.

Thinking of hollow body for 2nd. Want something that really sounds different than i can get through strings or amp alone.

20. EricMordus

EricMordus

Aug 29, 2013
    NYC
    I have four of "The One" now... until the next "one" crosses my path

tekhedd and Bassheart365 like this.