1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anyone play both precision and jazz basses?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by camardelle, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Or do you only play one style? I own both jazz and precision basses and I play both, neither that well, but I try. My question is that as a relatively new player, should I stick to one or the other? I notice that it is more difficult to play the precision than it is to play the jazz bass.

Your thoughts on this are appreciated. Thanks!

2. spanndrew

spanndrew

Oct 14, 2013
    Atlanta, Ga
    I play both. My jazz is reasonably nicer than my P, but they both get use. Different tools for different jobs.

StyleOverShow, Z -Bar and camardelle like this.
  3. MVE

MVE

Aug 8, 2010
    I tend to think about bass tone in reference to instruments, j-tone, p-tone, rik-tone, etc.
    It really doesn't matter which bass I am using, just which tone is right for a specific song.

JMacBass65 and ghettoshelf like this.
  4. I use both. Depends what mood I'm in.

tomersg, JMacBass65 and 1960jbass like this.
  5. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    one of each-
    classic duo

MovingPitchers likes this.
  6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I have jazz basses, p-basses, stingrays, Rics, Fenderbirds, and SG basses.

7. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    I play both. I lean towards my Precisions a little more these days, but the Jazz is definitely in the rotation.

8. So basically, I need to just get better at playing both then. The neck differences are difficult for a noobie for me, but practice will help...or more practice I guess.

9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Play 'em both. If you prefer one neck over the other, you replace. I have a P neck on my jazz, since I have fat fingers.

10. Definitely

Definitely Banned

I have one of each, essentially. I use the jazz far more, but it's not a fair comparison as my jazz is worth $1,600 and my P is worth $150...

I strung up the jazz with stainless steel roundwounds and the P with flats, so I have the two ends of the spectrum that can get me through any situation. I'd say keep both, why bother limiting yourself to one sound?

Joedog and buldog5151bass like this.
  11. I play my jazz because it cuts through better than the precision and has a thinner neck.

I play the precision because it's powerful without effects or preamps, and a monster WITH preamps and effects.

12. At the same time?
    LOL - Seriously, I was a snob for the first 20 or so years playing only a Jazz bass, because it was "easier." I feel it's good to get used to both, IMO.

camardelle likes this.
  13. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    been playing the p basses mostly because they are at the house and the jazz is at the art studio, but today i got the jazz out when i was having a color correction impasse and i was actually kind of taken aback by how the neck seemed to fit perfectly in my left hand

14. REV

REV

Jun 18, 2006
    I play both but my P basses have Jazz necks.

SunnBass likes this.
  15. Darko74

Darko74

May 18, 2007
    Dublin, Ireland
    DSC_0003.

LukeSlywalker and Smooth_bass88 like this.
  16. radioface

radioface

May 2, 2013
    I have 3 of each and have no problems switching from Js to Ps.

17. Yes. But never at the same time.

18. I've had several Ps and Js.
    Prefer the P neck and the tone.
    Js are sexier looking though!

Smooth_bass88 likes this.
  19. I have an MIJ Jazz and a MIJ Precision and play them both equally. Since they're both from the same time frame, they have a similar feel.

@camardelle, why is the precision the more difficult for you to play? Width at the nut?

20. Flad

Flad

Apr 18, 2014
    Jaco would change his bass over to a P neck for practice and back to the J neck for performance. The P-neck will make you work a little harder because it's a little bigger. There nothing wrong with switching back and fourth and there are in fact benefits. I switch back and fourth between several basses none of which have identical necks.

7dollarbologna likes this.