1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does this clone really sound like a Darkglass Vintage Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Direct Box Rox, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox Silence = Deaf

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    I don't have any DG products, though I'm planning on getting a B3K. I stumbled across this video on YT and was wondering how accurate it is, but more importantly - I thought this would present a legal problem? I'm no expert in that field so what do I know?

Driven Crane likes this.
  2. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Sounds pretty good on some settings. Not sure how close it is to the DG unit. You won't get sued for using it.
    Any store links for Marco Ferraro?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Driven Crane likes this.
  3. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    Honestly, I love the sound of this pedal. For a clone it gets pretty close and even seems a bit darker than the original.

Bassbeater likes this.
  4. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Darker Glass

5. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Sounds similar but different. Definitely seems to be darker than the originals. I'm looking at his page and he's done a few others. I'm not sure of any legal issues that would arise. It's probably not worth the time to pursue that for Darkglass.

6. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    If you read the description in that youtube video you would see that the guy builds pedals as a hobby. So, getting him to build you one and then pay for shipping with the higher Euro rate being at 123% it might be a wash to just buy the original with an established support system behind it.

As long as no patents or trademarks are violated, cloners are not breaking laws.

-Frank

7. 2010P

2010P

May 13, 2017
    Would love to see a gutshot of this pedal to see how it compares to the real thing.

Bassbeater likes this.
  8. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I like that boutique clones are hand-built and slightly varied from original sound. I don't mind paying a little more if it's got something special going on and there aren't many made.
    He needs solid color knobs that are easier to see against the design IMO. Also there are lot's of settings that don't have much use IMO. Nice sounding pedal from the demo though...

9. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    The electronics can look nothing alike but still be 100% the same. If he copied the DarkGlass PCB artwork then he is violating the law.

-Frank

dune2k likes this.
  10. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Breaking the law or not is between Marco Ferraro and DG. Good pedals are between my bass and my amp.

BassWaffle likes this.
  11. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I put a link to this thread in his comments. Hopefully he chimes in. :D

12. I’m not super familiar with the “vintage” pedals so I couldn’t tell you. But I’m a fan of DG. I was a b7k guy and now I’m a A/O guy and also use their Duality fuzz. I refuse to buy clones if I can help it. I like supporting and I encourage others to support companies like Darkglass that look forward and try to create new pedals instead of just copying or tweaking others by adding a blend or tone control or by undercutting the price of the pedal they are copying If everyone just bought clones sooner or later there wouldn’t be anything left to clone because there would be no incentive to design anything new.

13. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

True that. :thumbsup:

Very few pedal electronic designs are likely patentable since so many of them incorporate prior art from other designs, and which were themselves based on standard circuits you can find in any electronics circuit encyclopedia going back to the 50s and 60s. Half of them advertise as being based on a Rat or other vintage pedal anyway.

Adding an additional gain stage or using some funny diode or obscure Soviet tube or transistor isn't enough original design to get you a patent. And if you do succeed in getting one because a USPTO inspector was asleep at the wheel while reviewing your paperwork, it'll be easy to get that patent invalidated.

Half the patents out there wouldn't stand up to a serious court challenge. Which is one reason why so few patent holders are ever eager go to court over something. Most times they just keep delaying and hope to make enough hassles for the person they've gone after that the person just gives up and backs down. Patent bullying is a well-known tactic in the tech world. Especially if the bogus patent holder is a big company with deep pockets and an in-house legal staff. They've crushed a lot of innovation by killing off small competitors with legal expenses and constantly filed court motions. It's gotten so bad in the IT world that now the business goal for most startups is to ultimately sell out to a large corporation. Because they know if they try to go it alone, the sharks will eventually lawyer them to death with bogus IP and patent violation lawsuits.

Lack of patents and enforceable patents are the main reason so few boutique pedal builders ever do anything but hurl insults at each other when they accuse each other of stealing "their" designs. And also why they almost all work something out in private with each other before they very publicly kiss and make up. They're usually both in a no-win situation because they're on such shaky legal ground. And they know it.

PillO, Bassbeater and MordBass like this.
  14. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    :DBut how does his Vulcan clone sound......

Bassbeater likes this.
  15. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove If it feels heavy, it's heavy. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    Probably fatter than his DG clone. I have both originals, and they both sound good (and different)... :thumbsup:

16. madbass6

madbass6 Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    If it's a clone it's just an imitation of course its not going to be the same as the real deal! if it where that easy everybody would do it!! it's like asking if a real deal fodera is the same as a China made clone fodera !

17. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    -Except that pedal clones are often handmade by the engineer who cloned the original, and are frequently soldered point to point with better components than the original.

PillO, St_G and BillMason like this.
  18. Or have different layouts / extra features which can sometimes be considered a better version then

PillO, St_G and Bassbeater like this.
  19. madbass6

madbass6 Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    Ok my bad.. the way the posting described it I was under the impression the OP was using the word clone as its a fake (iminitation) not manufactured by the same company , im sure im not the only one wh thought this based on many replies .
    to me it's more of a generic version of the original and not a clone. But thats Just my opinion.

20. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    OP didn't use the word clone. For the record.
    [Edit, he did use the "C" word]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018