1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does this Exist in a New Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by birdman14, May 2, 2015.

1. birdman14

birdman14

Feb 7, 2011
    Boston
    So I've been GASing pretty hard recently for a late 70s Jazz bass, but I really need to get a decent 5 string. Does anyone know if this bass currently exists in some form of production as a fiver?

I've gone through some options, but seem to strike out. I love the american standards/deluxes, but those necks all have black binding on them. The Marcus Miller Jazz bass has white blocks/binding, but has that god-awful route which covers up half the body. If there was a way to mix and match one of the MM jazz necks with an American standard/deluxe body, I think it'd be a winner. Unfortunately, the warmoth route doesn't really work either, since it doesn't seem like they make normal sized 5 string jazz bodies. I've also tried checking the normal suspects for Jazz copies, and no-one seems to have the white blocks Any and all help is appreciated!

eyz658qlziouu6dqymjg.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Lakland might do something like that as a custom, but it won't be cheap. Doing the binding and blocks in our modern economy is very labor intensive on the manufacturing end. If you can live without the blocks and binding, there are many excellent choices.

3. Why not a high-end Squier? Then you can just replace the stock hardware or whatever with the money you saved.

blindrabbit and Aqualung60 like this.
  4. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Maybe the guy at Gamma basses could do it? Those are basically custom-assembled parts basses. I think they usually run $700 or so.

5. ale_vanlager

ale_vanlager Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    son_of_mogh likes this.
  6. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    ICT
  7. birdman14

birdman14

Feb 7, 2011
    Boston
    Not a bad idea, though the warmoth neck alone would cost about 600 dollars.

Good call! If I was looking for a natural finish bass, that would have been the perfect solution. I'm really picky in wanting that nice cream body.

This was my first thought, but I can't stand the black bindings/blocks. If I was able to match this body with the MM neck, it'd be perfect, but alas, I cannot.

Joshua Pickenpaugh likes this.
  8. tsheldon

tsheldon

Jun 20, 2005
    Western New York
    If you do not mind an active preamp the Fender Marcus Miller 5 string is pretty close.

9. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

You may be better off to go the Frankenbass route. Find the parts you want and slap 'em together. Now that's great slap bass.

Scooberto likes this.
  10. FrankenBass might be your best option. Warmoth would want an arm, leg, and your first born for neck that you want. Maybe a Marcus Miller neck on a Mexican Jazz body? Then have the body painted the cream color. Also, if I'm not mistaken, Fender made some Marcus Millers in the color you're after. But I don't like how much pickguard there is on them personally.

I've always figured, if I can't outright buy what I want, I'll make exactly what I want. One of these days, I'm going to put a Geddy Lee neck on a Deluxe Active Jazz body in that yellow/off white color with a BadassII bridge. Fender doesn't make that combo from the factory, but I will! (insert evil genius laugh here)

11. Bassthanation

Bassthanation

Dec 9, 2014
    Have you checked out Reverb website they have a lot of bass's that you can browse through or look at the SX's they use to have one that looks just like the one in your picture.

12. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri

The neck is by far the most important part of a bass. I would not hesitate allotting half my build budget on the neck alone.

Fact is, my best bass build is the body from a $200 squier with a $600 custom Moses Graphite neck.

Bassthanation and blindrabbit like this.
  13. Warmoth is actually not that expensive if you do the finish yourself. Finishes are like 40% of their costs.

14. birdman14

birdman14

Feb 7, 2011
    Boston
    The more i'm looking at it, the more it seems like this is the best path. @Scooberto, I definitely agree with you about the look of the pickguard. I love the Shoreline Gold and White MM Jazzes they had for a while, and if the massive control plate was removable, I would totally just go after that. If I was able to find a MM neck, that might be ideal, although they are pretty hard to find.

Going back and looking at pricing, that's a good point. I was able to build a neck with my desired specs for only about 450.

15. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    I have been exactly were you are at, but was very happy with the Warmoth.

16. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    This was my solution to that kind of problem. 4 to 5 bass conversion

17. jknorton

jknorton

Nov 14, 2008
    Massachusetts
  18. birdman14

birdman14

Feb 7, 2011
    Boston
    It'd be perfect, but I'm looking for a 5 string. My initial post was kind of messy (edited for clarity).

19. Bassthanation

Bassthanation

Dec 9, 2014
    image. Birdman14 here's the SX I was telling you about

20. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics