1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does your band carry liability insurance?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bassman_al, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  2. No

30 vote(s)
    81.1%
  1. Recently my cover/wedding/private event band lost a gig because we don't carry liability insurance and we would not agree to a very poorly worded "hold harmless" document in which the customer, a shopping center, wanted us to waive our right to agree not to hold anyone accountable for any damage done to our gear, no matter what. In 20 years of playing shows, I never had been asked to provide insurance or sign such a waiver. I was too nice and agreed to refund the deposit since the gig was still several months away.

Anyone carry insurance? We have played many similar venues. I would think that the venue's insurance would cover such events as my amp landing on someone's foot, or little Johnny electocuting himself after pouring his Slurpee over my amp.

Thanks for your responses

2. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Yes. Many of the venues we play require us to have liability insurance.

3. b_carville

b_carville

Jun 26, 2008
    My main band has had to carry it.

The sound company we use carries it too.

Nowadays most country clubs,catering halls,county/municipal parks,etc.require it to work their venues.It goes up cost wise every year.

Somebody at a wedding/private party jumps on stage & injures themselves,drunk or not,they will be looking to see if they can get anything out of it.Or at least their medical bill paid.I hate having to pay for it but an insurance company usually knows how to handle that situation should there be a problem.

We have had people trip over cables,fall into the drumkit,fall over monitors & all kinds of stuff.We try to bring a stage if there isn't one & we try our best to keep anybody who doesn't belong off but that sure doesn't stop some people.Weddings can really be brutal.People can be really stupid grabbing mikes,drumsticks,etc. Once in a while somebody gets hurt because they did something stupid.

4. Yes. Our entertainers liability insurance covers the band up to £5M ($7.5M). It costs us around £200 ($350) per year, but we feel it is well worth it. We're an 8 piece band so the cost is negligible when split between us. A small price to pay for peace of mind.

Some of the venues we play at require it, but many don't. The way things are going, more and more will.

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space CA
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    If you have insurance, the venue may get out of using their insurance. Also, they can sue you if they get sued.

You also can ask the venue for a hold harmless clause for any damage that your band or equipment may cause to the venue.

6. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    They can sue you regardless of whether you have insurance.

7. frestivo

frestivo

Sep 20, 2010
    can u please contact me asap. my band needs insurance and i want to see if you can give me your inurance companys info. thanks. my name is frank and you can email me at jake0509@hotmail.com thanks bro

8. Hi Frestivo. I'm not sure where you're located. I live in the UK.

This is the company that handles our insurance -

http://www.hencilla.co.uk/

9. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    No, but you made me think about it. We did a few shows with contrcts and they all had us not holding the venue responsible for damages to equipment or injury to us but thats it.
    I always thought the venue was insured against if someone gets injured at the show since they are putting on the show,promoting it and holding it on their grounds and property. I guess I could be wrong??????

10. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    I'm not sure why, but this made soda come out of my nose. LOL

11. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    You're in the U.S., anyone can sue anyone for any reason.

12. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Hey now. I don't like the tone of your post. Them there's suing words.

13. thomashawk

thomashawk

Jun 29, 2010
    New York, NY
    NO DOUBT!!! That's some good old fashioned abstractionist humor right there!

14. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    Wow, I'm from Denmark and I don't even know the danish word for sue! I feel bad for you guys. Usually people are nice enough to pay for what they've damaged around here, but I bet there of course must be exceptions.

15. crijan

crijan Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    Endorsing: JH Audio IEMs
    I've gotten artist liability coverage for a single event through CSI Entertainment Insurance for a reasonable price. www.csicoverage.com

The policy was required by the client in order for them to contract the date with us.

16. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I voted no because out of the three bands I play with, none carry liability insurance.

However, I do carry a lot of extra auto insurance (1mil.) because I drive so much and because my day job clients require me to.

17. There may be some confusion here (and it could be on my part). From
    this limited bit of information, it appears that the shopping center is
    not requiring you to have liability insurance; they are simply asking
    that you agree not to sue them if something of yours is damaged. That's
    not entirely unreasonable.

Liability insurance covers damage that you cause; not damage to your property.

18. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    In the US there are a lot of 'exceptions'

19. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    Although my general belief is that insurance is just gambling against yourself and throwing money away I can see how the "CYA" aspect of it makes sense. I hadn't really thought of it in a band context before but now that the seed has been planted....