1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dogal Traditional Vintage Flats ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by e-flat, Oct 11, 2015.

1. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Washington State
    I'm looking for more information on these strings:

basso elettrico | Dogalstrings.it

Does anyone have experience with them? Can you compare them to more common flats like Chromes, Labella 760FL, or GHS Precision Flats?

I also can't find a place to buy them in the U.S.

Any input is appreciated!

2. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    They're not exactly easy to find in Italy either!
    I've never tried them myself (@Pier_? @ale29? @odysseios?)*.
    Ok, here goes my only possible contribution - try with these guys, Cupertino Strings: "US Distributor for Dogal Strings".
    They only mention orchestral strings, but heck, if anyone knows if and where you can find Dogals for bass guitar in the States, it should be they. (Grmr?)

EDIT - re distribution, lookie here
    Dogal strings available in U. S. | TalkBass.com
    (emphasis mine) and here
    I assume he meant the same Bernunzio guys. Problem is, they don't have Dogal bass strings anymore on the website, but you could shoot them an email or a Facebook message anyway.
    __

Re experience with the strings, this negative review might refer to the traditional flats, or not:
    Dogal Flats | TalkBass.com
    Here they're described as similar to D'Addario Chromes:
    Flats that are "off the grid"? | TalkBass.com

*but I might try their "Jaco" flats (sic) in the long-term future and compare them to the EB Slinky (Cobalt) Flats. (I'll leave this for my future reference since you're not interested in these.) The few TBers who mention them seem to swear by them: Moe Monsarrat and Fab Superlative above, but also Hapa, JPSBassist here and here, cosmic53 who also mentions Galli Black Nylon tapewounds, ubnomnar.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    Fab Superlative and e-flat like this.
  3. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Washington State
    Grazie mille, haphassard! The Cupertino Strings link looks like it may be promising. I emailed the Bernunzio store a few days ago but received no response.

I came across a few mentions of them here on TB (the ones you quoted) but didn't notice that the Traditional flats had been compared to Chromes... If that's accurate, I might pass on them & try the Jaco series.

Here's a review / blog post about the Dogal Jaco flats:
    Dogal Evolution e Jaco | musicbytodd.com

Supposedly they are round core (?)

And here is the only place I've found that stocks the Dogal Jaco strings in the U.S. I'll send them an email & check on the Dogal Traditional flats, too.

Electric Bass Guitar Strings | Dogal Bass Guitar Strings

Anyone else have info or experience with these Italian flatwounds?

Fab Superlative and HaphAsSard like this.
  4. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Let's try and page the two that seemingly have - both are still active on TB: @Fab Superlative, @GM60466 (the latter might have taken them off shortly after his post though).

e-flat likes this.
  5. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Washington State
    I've also contacted Dogal strings directly to see if they have more info on US distributors .... I'll post here if I receive more info.

6. Martin Beer

Martin Beer

Dec 4, 2004
    Their double bass strings are considered to be a budget option sold to beginners and students, though that may not reflect the quality of the bass guitar strings.

7. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Fingers crossed. If they're a good product it's first of all in the interest of players that they become more widely available and more frequently mentioned/discussed, even if they stay nichey and expensiveish in the US like Thomastik-Infeld and Pyramid.

e-flat likes this.
  8. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Washington State
    Agreed! I'd be willing to pull the trigger on a set of either type for the sake of "expanding the knowledge base" :) I've inquired with Dogal about the core type of the Traditionals (round or hex) and would also like to get a feel for whether they are around the same price as the Jaco sets.

9. Bernunzio, is where I purchased several sets of the Dogal's from. But that was a year or two ago. I did notice that they no longer list them on their website, but that may be more due to the high cost per set, resulting in the low interest for them?
    They are not very well known, if at all. And they are probably the most expensive E-bass, string sets out there.

I've had the traditional sets, and the Jaco, series sets as well.
    The traditional flat sets are very similar to chromes, but have a better feel, and they seem to retain their initial brightness longer than chromes.
    By better feel, they feel slightly less stiff and have a smoother polished surface than chromes.

The Jaco, series are very similar to TI, flats with a hair bit more tension to the feel. Sonically, they are very similar with the main difference/benefits being that the Jaco, series are offered in a wider variety of gauges vs the TI's. They behave and have so far retained their characters in much the same traditional way that the TI's have.

The round sets, are very similar to DR's but with a smoother finished feel to them.

Bernunzio, may still be the best bet for ordering a set. I'm sure they will oblige if they can. A quick phone call may do the trick, ask for Julie :)

The Dogal's are very high quality, hand made strings.
    Obviously, not for everyone at over $100 per set.
    But so far, they do seem to settle in and have the same staying power as TI's.
    So in the long run, the initial cost outlay was a similar investment deal.

HaphAsSard and e-flat like this.
  10. Levin

Levin

Oct 30, 2012
    Sweden
    If so, it sounds like what almost everyone who ever played a set of TI's wants, an almost TI-string that is avaible in multiple heavier gauges! As well as one even lower. Hm. This is my next string to check out! Probably around the end of the year, this year's string budget is already gone.

11. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Washington State
    This is TERRIFIC input. Thanks so much!
    It's funny.... the difference in name and packaging between the Traditional and Jaco flats would seem to imply that they are the opposite (Traditional = warmer, darker : Jaco = brighter, Chrome-like) but that's not the case! :) It actually sounds as though the Jaco flats would be a better fit for me, as I am not looking for much top end (like Chromes have). I will inquire with Bernunzio.

My sentiments, exactly. I've been close to pulling the trigger on TI flats before, but don't want to take the chance on the lower tension. If these Dogal Jaco flats have a bit more tension and multiple gauges, I'd be willing to shell out a bit more $. I'm not really concerned about $80-100 if I can view it as a 10 year investment :)

Levin likes this.
  12. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Washington State
    Brother Fab-
    Just curious... which gauges of the Jaco sets have you tried? I'm on the fence about whether to order the (45-65-80-105) or the (40-60-75-98) set.
    Was your impression of the Jacos "having a bit more tension than TIs" based on one of (or both) of these sets?
    Thank you for any info! You've been a big help!

Levin and Fab Superlative like this.
  13. Checking my records, it looks like I made my purchases in 2010.
    I ordered the following sets:
    Jaco series- JC106B .040-.098 with a .125B string the 5 string sets were $124 the 4 string sets were $85
    Jaco series- JC106C .045-.105 with a .130B string costs were same as the JC106B's
    Traditional series- R44 .042-.100 was $85 per set
    Carbon Steel series- CS90C .045-.105 was $75 per set

Tonally, the Jaco series share what I like to say is the chameleon like tendencies of the Thomastik's, in that they can produce a very sweet and singing bright tone/and a warm buttery smooth low tone depending on whether the tone knob is rolled on or off and all points in between.
    The R44's start out bright much like chromes, but they too tend to get thuddy/thumpy as they age. Although still not quite as thick sounding or stiff as LaBella's.
    Here is what Dogal, had to say to me about the R44's... (metalchrome)

"Please be advised about the peculiar sound of this set which recalls the sound of the 60ties : a darker/warmer sound but surely less brilliant than the Jaco (JC106) you lately purchased.
    > The reason of this type of sound is in the materials we use for the winding which are less magnetic and therefore the pickup only capture a smaller amount of tones.
    > Please confirm if you'd like to try this type of sound as well or if you prefer to increase the quantity of the Jaco JC106 sets . "

I've also noticed that Dogal, has made available another line of rounds- the NY Steel series.

The link to Todd's blog that you posted above was a nice piece to read, thanks for that. :)

I'd also like to share an interesting little story about the Jaco 106B's
    Several months ago I traded a Sadowsky, that was strung with them to a friend and fellow TB'r here.
    Well, later on he ended up selling the Sadowsky, but liked the Dogals so much that he ended up keeping them. :thumbsup:

e-flat, Levin and HaphAsSard like this.
  14. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Washington State
    Thank you so much for all that you've contributed to my quest for info on these strings! I think I may give the Jaco 40-98 set a try if the tension is not too low.

Fab Superlative likes this.
  15. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Washington State
    Curiosity has gotten the best of me.

I've just placed a special order for a set of the Jaco 106B (40-98) AND a set of the Traditional flatwounds (42-100) through Strings By Mail in order to try them both. My wallet hates me ;)

Regarding the Dogal Traditional Flats, I did receive some info directly from Dogal. It appears that they are also wound on a round core (like the Jaco sets), but the rep I corresponded with says that the Jaco use a carbon core while the Tradional flats use a copper core.

It may take a bit to receive them, but I will report back when I've had a chance to try them.

Fab Superlative and Levin like this.
  16. Camaro

Camaro

Sep 25, 2013
    Germany, NRW
    That's odd, copper has just a third of the tensile strength of even the softest Steel alloy. I haven't done the math but that should be impossible.
    Copper platted perhaps.

e-flat likes this.
  17. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Washington State
    Yes, this occured to me as well.... It's tough when dealing with language barriers sometimes, but I thought the rep was stating that the Traditional had a copper core. Perhaps I was mistaken.

I should clarify the rep's input... I usually do not like to quote emails on forums, but here's a piece of the email i Received from the Dogal rep regarding the Traditional flats:

1) Yes they are wound on a round core like the Jaco but the Flatwond bass guitar string are made ‘old fashion’. They are the strings of the 60’ ties so that is the sound… They have copper inside with a much darker if compared to the Jaco (which have a carbon core making them much more brilliant).

While the description of the Traditional Flats as darker than the Jaco Flats seems to go against the input of Fab Superlative, I was intrigued enough to order both and see for myself. :)

18. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Yeah, nah, with "inside" he just meant there's copper in the alloy (of the ribbon wrap, and/or the round layer underneath it if there - alternatively, the latter might be pure copper).
    As for the tonal balance you're about to find out. Maybe a T-I-like flat with a lot of mids just sounds balanced and, though bright, not shrill or clangy even when new, while a more traditional one, but one with a similar life-cycle to Chromes, does sound zingier at first but settles into a thumpier tone eventually. (Just armchairing it of course.)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    e-flat likes this.
  19. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Washington State
    Yeah, now that I read it again it makes sense :) I was confused by the mention of the copper in the same sentence as the carbon core of the other strings. Hah!
    The tonal proof will come to light after slapping them on my P Bass and taking them for a spin. Can't wait!