Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dominants Breaking?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by brianh, Dec 16, 2005.

1. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    I've had Dominant D and G on my bass for 2 weeks now and have actually really enjoyed them. Coming from Eudoxa's, the tone is almost as fat, and slightly more defined. They also play a lot easier.

However, my D string just broke!!! I've heard of people having these problems....

Any experience with this?

Thanks,
    Brian

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Did the metal wound part reach the peg?
    This must be avoided to prevent breakage.
    Other factors involved: the nut and bridge grooves, also lubrication (I use a 8B pencil).

3. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    I used pencil on the nut.

Actually the string broke at the purple wrapping in the peg box....not near the peg though...

4. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I had a similar experience with the E, and I had read the comments that they can break in this area more often than they should. I've not had the set on for very long, so I e-mailed Thomastik and they sent me a new one.

I like the strings very much, but if they keep breaking I may look elsewhere.

5. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    It's sad that people keep having these strings break -- the sound of Dominants darkens and sweetens in a very nice way as they get older. My set has been on for about half a year now, and I like them more and more all the time. Particularly striking is the way the bowed response improves over time. The strings do lose a bit of sustain, though. Watch out for that if you're into the Spirocore sound.

6. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I agree, great strings for many different reasons, and a much overlooked hybrid string. The E on my bass broke right at the end of the upper silks. I don't see any reason for that to happen.

They do have a good bit of sustain. I wish they actually had a little less. I'm not looking for full-blown arco string, but towards that direction.

The volume of the Dominant's are great. Big sound.

7. After countless takings on and off for comparison with other strings, my Dominant D broke. The break occurred between the nut and the peg. I took a look at the string under a magnifying glass, and I'll be darned if it appears that the core ends where the silk starts, but it's hard to tell. There are some strands of something perlon looking at the break, but mainly it looks like inner metal wrap only. Anyway, it seems to me that the problem is due to the unique construction rather than QC. I imagine that the high level of stretch that happens above the nut just causes the string to fatigue at that point after many de-tuninging and re-tunings. I guess the same thing could happen to someone who pulls the heck out of the string with some strong right hand pizz. Because of the stiffness of the vibrating length of string, you can actually see the string moving across the nut when you pizz, probably stretching the silk portion of the string more than the metal wrapped portion.
    -Jon

8. I installed my first set of Dominants last week - and the D string broke yesterday (it broke at the post, half-way through the length of thread). When you add this to their high tension - compared to what I'm used to - and the ongoing nasal sound, I've never been so unhappy with a set of strings. I'll give them another couple of weeks to improve, but if they don't, they're off.

All this contrasts with the Corellis I installed on my Eminence (on the same day). I love 'em on that bass - which is used mainly for pizz.

9. dfp

dfp Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    USA
    is anyone from Thomastik reading this? i guess the free advertising they get from enthusiastic users here offsets all the people who would've tried Dominants except for reading about that breakage issue... sad, i think, that they haven't solved that problem by now. :scowl:

10. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    That problem is not new.
    They get lots of complaints and comments about this, but, AFAIK, never did anything about it.

11. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well, kerrapp...I eagerly put my new Dominant E on this morning and before it was even fully up to tension it broke, just below the tuning peg.

Darn...I have had no problems with the other three and was looking forward to trying out the full set. I guess I'll stick to my trusty Spiro Orch. E for now - I do like the other Dominants, though.

What did all you others do with the broken string? Return them to the supplier...or Thomastik...or...?

12. I was think about sending my broken D string somewhere, but I'm holding off to see if I continue using Dominants. To me, there's no point in getting a replacement string if the rest of the set is coming off. A waste of money? Perhaps. But a lesson learned (I'll never use Dominants again) and I think it's important to keep trying different strings. We'll see....

13. Rob - you have inspired me to start a new thread based on your comment about being important to try different strings - many thanks.

14. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    During the second tune of the first set of a three hour duo gig this evening, my Dominant E broke in the vicinity of the pegbox. Rummaged around in my case and had three spiros as backups...a G, D, and A.

Oy. Truth told, I think I know what caused this: on a couple of tunes I regularly play, I tune down to D just for that one tune and then tune back up. I really smack that ****er on one of them, too. Oh well. I'm still keeping the other three on there, and will likely replace them with same.

Anyway, I played the gig just fine with three strings, then came home and slapped on a Spiro Stark E. I think I'm gonna go play exclusively on it for about an hour just to even things out for the evening. :D

15. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    On the whole, those here that have used the Dominants seem to love them. Based on everything I've heard, I decided to switch to a set soon. Then there is the breakage issue.

Given a proper and careful installation, including lubricating the bridge and nut notches, and assuming that the strings will not be removed and/or de-tuned, is this a serious issue or not?

My playing is 99.999999% jazz pizz. Taking that into account, would you use the Doms or switch to something else? I am currently using Obligatos. I love their sound but I'm looking for something with more punch. The Doms seem to fit the bill except for the breakage issue that has gotten me more than a bit concerned.

Thanks.

16. VTDB

VTDB

Oct 19, 2004
    VeeTee
    I was a bit concerned with the same thing before I put my set on based on what I had read here about them breaking but I have had zero problems with them since I put them on. I did follow all the precautions you mentioned and do not detune them for any reason so I think if you do the same you should be fine. I hope you enjoy them.

17. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think the risk is definitely worth it; as long as you know the limitations - careful fitting and minimal de-tuning - then you should be fine. It would also be best to have any work you may be considering done on your bass done before you try them, so that you don't have to remove and reinstall them for any reason.

I'm trying the Solo set tuned to orchestra pitch at present and like them even more than the Orch. set.

18. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    I agree with what is being said in this thread. I think risk is minimal to zero if you handle them properly.

If they do break, you send them back to Tomastik, and until now they have been pretty good about replacing them at no cost. I would keep a spare E in my bass bag just in case.

19. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Even after careful prep, the E string broke soon after I installed a set of Dominants on my 3/4 Shen Willow. Frankly those strings didn't work out very well on that bass, and I didn't like the way they responded to the bow.

20. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Thanks to all who replied so far for the peace of mind. Andy-- as a matter of fact, I routinely do as you say. I'm fortunate enough to have my luthier (Upton) only 1.5 hr. away so I always bring the bass in for a tune-up (pun intended) before changing the strings, which I have them do.